Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Old May 19th 2013, 2:16 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Originally Posted by scootb
I would have preffered a Dodge Caliber as its a smaller engine,and handles well in the snow,even the FWD version.
More googling for me to do
Old May 19th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Lol,google is my best friend!
Old May 23rd 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Challenged my firearms exam this evening and scored 94%,bloody sweet!!
Old May 31st 2013, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Despite the missus's family insisting that she would not get into Canada,and despite Air Transat's Ignorant,and Arrogant Glasgow Airport staff saying that my missus and kids would be refused entry to Canada,and our dog would be taken from us(no idea where they go this info from!),even with my cousin who is armed police at Glasgow airport trying to tell the staff that my partner was correct in being entitled to come and live here,my family complete with dog arrived,were warmly welcomed at Calgary and given an open spousal work permit!
My father traveled with them to help with the kids,and dog even he couldn't believe the difference in politeness and friendliness between Glasgow and Calgary.The taxi driver that drove them all from Calgary to Edmonton could not be faulted($400 before anyone asks how much!),and when my 7 year old daughter was sick in the back of the taxi,the driver was fine,and understanding about it.

My family are overjoyed to be here with me in Edmonton now,it's the missus's birthday tomorrow so after I finish work and pick up my car it's out for a little shopping(as women love to spend!),then out for a nice meal.

I have made some amazingly GREAT friends here already,people that go well out of their way to make you feel welcome,the place just keeps amazing me(so did yesterdays hail stones though lol)
Old May 31st 2013, 7:35 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the missus's family insisting that she would not get into Canada,and despite Air Transat's Ignorant,and Arrogant Glasgow Airport staff saying that my missus and kids would be refused entry to Canada,and our dog would be taken from us(no idea where they go this info from!),even with my cousin who is armed police at Glasgow airport trying to tell the staff that my partner was correct in being entitled to come and live here,my family complete with dog arrived,were warmly welcomed at Calgary and given an open spousal work permit!
My father traveled with them to help with the kids,and dog even he couldn't believe the difference in politeness and friendliness between Glasgow and Calgary.The taxi driver that drove them all from Calgary to Edmonton could not be faulted($400 before anyone asks how much!),and when my 7 year old daughter was sick in the back of the taxi,the driver was fine,and understanding about it.

My family are overjoyed to be here with me in Edmonton now,it's the missus's birthday tomorrow so after I finish work and pick up my car it's out for a little shopping(as women love to spend!),then out for a nice meal.

I have made some amazingly GREAT friends here already,people that go well out of their way to make you feel welcome,the place just keeps amazing me(so did yesterdays hail stones though lol)
Glad it all ended well and your back together as a family
Old Jun 1st 2013, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mikey,and good luck with the LMO mate!!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 6:07 am

Thanks Mikey,and good luck with the LMO mate!!
Thanks buddy , heading towards my 8th week and still no news on the LMO, hoping ill here in the next few weeks
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:13 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Aw i've really enjoyed reading about your experiences. You have such a great attitude, I hope the family are settling in well, be prepared for a blistering hot summer, this rain we are having is coming at the right time to make summer pretty special
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:12 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I too, am very pleased that it all seems to be finally turning out well for you. Your first post sounded pretty horrific...well done you for sorting it out and abandoning the landlady from hell. I hope that things continue to go from strength to strength, for you and your family....not forgetting the dog
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

The missus,and kids are loving it here,the kids got registered for school today,they will start in August.

Despite numerous dealerships trying to upsell me cars,I bought a Dodge Caravan with cash that I had saved rather than financing,its meant holding off on buying beds so we are making do with air matresses for the next few weeks,but in the long run it will be worth it.

I promised my dad a trip to the Rockies while he is here,so come Saturday if it stays dry,were gonna load up the caravan and have a picnic at the Rockies,dog included of course!

Was having problems with my UK bank card,but a phone call to them revealed that my card was blocked as they thought it was suspicious that it was being used in Canada,despite my missus telling them in advance of our plans(typical eh).It's all been sorted out now though.

Some friends have helped us out with coffee tables,couches,curtains etc.. so it feels much more homely now,a neighbour even gave us a cable box so we now have all the free channels to keep the kids occupied for now when its raining.

Still love this place,and still love my work,even when I'm doing overtime lol.

I expected to be really nervous driving,but I have found it not too bad,even in heavy traffic.Only had a horn toot once,yes it was for not turning right on a red light lol.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:45 am

Sounds like its still going well and great to hear your family are settling in well too
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Kerry-lancs is an unknown quantity at this point

Turning right on a red light is strange for me too , glad you all settled in well
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

Despite numerous dealerships trying to upsell me cars,I bought a Dodge Caravan with cash that I had saved rather than financing.
Sounds like me when I first arrived, I got a Plymouth Voyager for cash
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

I expected to be really nervous driving,but I have found it not too bad,even in heavy traffic.Only had a horn toot once,yes it was for not turning right on a red light lol.
Driving here was a bit strange at first, I must have been a nightmare. If I wanted to turn left I stayed in the left hand lane all the way until I got to my turn and did the same with the right lane and the middle lane when I wanted to go straight on, turning right on a red felt unnatural for a while. Then I had the pleaseure of the round about in Sylvan Lake, my brain telling me to go one way and my instinct telling me to go the other!!!!! Such fun

Glad that your family are all here and you are enjoying your new adventure so far.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:44 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

I promised my dad a trip to the Rockies while he is here,so come Saturday if it stays dry,were gonna load up the caravan and have a picnic at the Rockies,dog included of course!
The Rockies are over rated. Four hours each way and there's nothing to do there? - Get your family over to West Edmonton Mall for the day - Big indoor pool with a wave machine, The Mrs. and the kids can go shopping and you can treat your old man to an afternoon in Hooters.

The dog will be ok in the car, just make sure you open a window an inch or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.