Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Old May 10th 2013, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Hi everyone,just thought I would let you all know my mixed experiences so far.

I had arranged to rent a room in a house here in Edmonton before I left the UK,thinking everything was sorted I arrived to find that my room had been rented out,and I was given the living room,fair enough.
Next the landlady now tells me that she hopes I like cats,I don't,I would even go as far as to say I hate them,luckily I am not allergic to the cats that she has.
Monday night I was sitting on my bed looking for rental properties when I thought I heard a cat snoring,I peered round a divider in the living room to spot the elderly landlady sleeping on the f'ing couch wtf?
It turns out that her 42 year old son has come to stay,and has taken her room in the house,last night she was coughing like a 100 a day smoker(yet she doesn't smoke),snoring like hell,and farting like she had been on baked beans and prune juice all day!
Her advertised wifi is so slow that it is faster to use my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot for my laptop.
Even 2 of her renters that I speak to are fed up with her.
Enough is enough,today I walked into my employers office and told them everything,thankfully my employers secretary looked bloody shocked and is looking into getting me somewhere ASAP.
I have been working overtime every night,and saturdays making it bloody impossible to find anywhere myself(and I have been trying,every lunch break on the phone!).I have been told to expect at least 60 hours overtime per month,handy as rent can be pricey here.
A mate of mines landlord has a dog which he caught humping his pillow after work one night lol,maybe we just have crap landlords/ladies.
She is coughing,and snoring as I type this lol,and yes,she is still farting away.

Bad experience over!
Workwise it's been great,everyone has been pretty sound after they see you can do the work,and take the time to talk to you.
Out of work,well I'm working till 7 or 8pm at night weekdays,and till noon or 2pm saturdays,but the bus drivers so far have been VERY friendly,as have almost everyone that I have encountered.
Even managed a laugh with one of the darker skinned Canadians when he was joking about a tan,I showed him my pale blue Scottish leg lol.
I am tired,but bringing in the bucks as they say,the only things so far that I miss about home is my family,my car,and my own bloody bed,luckily my family will be through at the end of the month.

I have gone out with 2 of my housemates,a Newfoundlander,and a Manitoban,both sound guys who have taken the time to get to know me,and show me around a little bit.

Alberta driving license,Alberta healthcare,Scotiabank credit card(only $500 limit),and Sin card all came through pretty quick.
I found Koodo mobile to be pretty damn good,reliable,and cheap to use(they do a 5cents a minute international addon for $2 per month which I have been using)
It still amazes me how last Monday,and Tuesday it was bitterly cold,yet this week I have been sweating with just a T-shirt on.

Well not really much useful info there,but I have only been here for 3 weeks,and thought I would share my experiences so far as some of you will no doubt get a laugh about my landlady,if I was not in my shoes,I would bloody laugh!
Old May 10th 2013, 10:39 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 weeks in Edmonton,my experience

Not a great start with the Landlady, but at least work is keeping you busy and you seem to have put a brave face on it and stuck it out. Good luck on the move and with your family being over something to look forward to
Old May 11th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scootb
not a good start, but glad to hear you had it sorted PDQ and your employers were there to help you.

Good that things are going better for you and hope that your family all get here safe and sound, then you can really make your dream a reality.

Best of luck

MJ
Old May 11th 2013, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Kerry-lancs is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in Edmonton 6 weeks, yes weather has been bit crazy good luck finding a new home

Kerry
Old May 12th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys,I have managed to clock up 25hours overtime over the past 2 weeks,and have been told I will get at least this much overtime for the next 2 years(3 if I get PR),plus they are talking about building another ring road in Edmonton after this one is completed meaning about 20-25 years of work for us.

I find out tomorrow if I am getting a 3 bedroom house around the corner from me(everything crossed lol)
Then I have been invited out by an ex Londoner to go to his shooting club,have a meal with his family,etc.. which I am looking forward to.

Went to the cinema with my Manitoban housemate tonight to see Iron Man 3,I could not believe how comfy the seats were compared to in the UK,when I left the cinema I had no sore back,no sore legs,no sore neck,and no numb bum!!!

My missus,kids,and wee border collie are due over on the 29th,I can't wait to see them,the longest we have been apart before was the odd 1 night camping or fishing trips once or twice a year,my girls have been crying for me,and my dog doesn't know what's going on.
Old May 12th 2013, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
Thanks guys,I have managed to clock up 25hours overtime over the past 2 weeks,and have been told I will get at least this much overtime for the next 2 years(3 if I get PR),plus they are talking about building another ring road in Edmonton after this one is completed meaning about 20-25 years of work for us.

I find out tomorrow if I am getting a 3 bedroom house around the corner from me(everything crossed lol)
Then I have been invited out by an ex Londoner to go to his shooting club,have a meal with his family,etc.. which I am looking forward to.

Went to the cinema with my Manitoban housemate tonight to see Iron Man 3,I could not believe how comfy the seats were compared to in the UK,when I left the cinema I had no sore back,no sore legs,no sore neck,and no numb bum!!!

My missus,kids,and wee border collie are due over on the 29th,I can't wait to see them,the longest we have been apart before was the odd 1 night camping or fishing trips once or twice a year,my girls have been crying for me,and my dog doesn't know what's going on.
Glad to hear that things are improving in the housing department!! Sounds like the work is going well too and for the future...are you in construction?

You will feel more settled once the family gets over... good luck sounds like its all falling into place.
Old May 12th 2013, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes,I am in construction I work for Lafarge precast.

Also just signed a lease agreement for a 3 bedroom house just 5mns walk from Bonnie Doon mall

That's my biggest hurdle out of the way now lol,just need the keys now so I can start buying furniture etc..

At least I can stop the hours of house hunting and go out today and enjoy a day shooting with a fellow ex pat!
Old May 14th 2013, 1:47 am
Just Joined

alan2476 is an unknown quantity at this point

so your up near whyte ave well thats where it happens most days/nights of the week lots to do and see people watching a great bit of entertainment some charactures out and about there
Old May 14th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alan2476
so your up near whyte ave well thats where it happens most days/nights of the week lots to do and see people watching a great bit of entertainment some charactures out and about there

There sure are lol,I'm on 76ave just now,but moving round the corner to just off 83rd street at the end of the month.

Was driving to Beaumont with a mate yesterday when the wind picked up,then the dust storms started,then a plank of wood hit the windscreen,the two of us literally crapped ourselves lol,he had just replaced the windscreen a couple of months ago too,so we put the shooting on hold.

Looks as if my Manitoban mate has got a place just round the corner from me too which is handy as we have become good mates over the past few weeks.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Just got told my Derrick Dodge that I should have NO problem getting finance on a car,so gonna go take a Chevvy Uplander out for a spin tomorrow(if I can get away from work for an hour or so).
The dealer is even gonna send someone to pick me up from my work,that's what you call service!
Old May 17th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Derrick Dodge sent someone to collect me from work to take me to the showroom today,the uplander,and everything around $4000 was sold,so they offered me finance on a Chevy Equinox at $10,000 with only $1500 deposit,it only took them about 2mns to say the magic word"YES".
Can't wait to start driving again.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:52 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Derrick Dodge sent someone to collect me from work to take me to the showroom today,the uplander,and everything around $4000 was sold,so they offered me finance on a Chevy Equinox at $10,000 with only $1500 deposit,it only took them about 2mns to say the magic word"YES".
Can't wait to start driving again.
it all sounds like its fitting into place for you, is an Equinox a Truck or SUV?
Old May 18th 2013, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
it all sounds like its fitting into place for you, is an Equinox a Truck or SUV?
Its an SUV crossover,kind of similar to the Honda CRV,but much nicer.
3.4ltr,V6 AWD with full leather interior,and heated seats,something I would not have considered back home.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:07 pm

Its an SUV crossover,kind of similar to the Honda CRV,but much nicer.
3.4ltr,V6 AWD with full leather interior,and heated seats,something I would not have considered back home.
Sounds nice , I will need to google it
Old May 19th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I would have preffered a Dodge Caliber as its a smaller engine,and handles well in the snow,even the FWD version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.