Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

24 years but who would go back to the UK?

24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Old Oct 7th 2022, 1:56 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2022
Location: Nannystan
Posts: 15
Mackem_66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

I've just passed the 24 year mark in eastern Canada and recently retired. I find myself increasingly bothered by the long winters, boring landscapes, incomprehensible humour and a number of other things. I miss the moors and hills, network of public footpaths, pubs, banter and culture of the UK as well as old friends and remaining family members. If England was as I remembered it when we left, I'd go back in a heartbeat. My wife and I went back for 3 weeks in June this year for a recce, see what we think about moving back. I instantly felt at home, but now it is very crowded, more cars and trucks on the roads, masses of people taking to the countryside, crime reportedly out of control, house prices in the north skyrocketing as people abandon the big cities. I think we'll probably stay here and just go for extended visits more often.
Mackem_66 is offline  
Old Jan 9th 2023, 8:09 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Location: Ontario
Posts: 192
DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

The population of the UK has increased by around 11 million in the time you've spent in Canada.
For a country the size of Canada that wouldn't be too much of a problem but for the UK it means crowds everywhere you go.
This is the main reason we could never consider a move back even though like you we miss the pubs, humour, countryside etc.
DMajor is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2023, 1:59 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
AdrianR's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sittin' pretty on The Prairie in Alberda
Posts: 635
AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

The England you left 24 years ago is no more; it's gone. There's a reason for that old adage, "You can never go home again."
AdrianR is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 12:02 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 86
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Mackem_66
I've just passed the 24 year mark in eastern Canada and recently retired. I find myself increasingly bothered by the long winters, boring landscapes, incomprehensible humour and a number of other things. I miss the moors and hills, network of public footpaths, pubs, banter and culture of the UK as well as old friends and remaining family members. If England was as I remembered it when we left, I'd go back in a heartbeat. My wife and I went back for 3 weeks in June this year for a recce, see what we think about moving back. I instantly felt at home, but now it is very crowded, more cars and trucks on the roads, masses of people taking to the countryside, crime reportedly out of control, house prices in the north skyrocketing as people abandon the big cities. I think we'll probably stay here and just go for extended visits more often.
Maybe it's a change of scenery in Canada you need? I appreciate I am saying this from here in the UK, but there doesn't appear to be anything boring about the landscapes in BC! The mountains, lakes, waterfalls etc are a thing of beauty, and appear to be accessible with lots of trails. Admittedly, there is a cost to living there but I guess the same can be said of most places now. And if you moved to the coast of BC, winters aren't as long are they? I have to agree, I'm completely disillusioned with life in the UK. It seems like an island of angry little men who are intent on preserving the traditions/culture of a bygone era, but in actual fact are destroying it. I can't wait to escape!
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 12:29 pm
  #5  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by mdonald1987
...there doesn't appear to be anything boring about the landscapes in BC! The mountains, lakes, waterfalls etc are a thing of beauty...
My wife used to say "seen one mountain, seen them all"
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 12:40 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 86
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My wife used to say "seen one mountain, seen them all"
I'd be quite happy to look at the same mountain every morning for the rest of my years!
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 1:04 pm
  #7  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 50,763
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by mdonald1987
I'd be quite happy to look at the same mountain every morning for the rest of my years!
You can always get one of those posters designed to look like a window with a nice view



BristolUK is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 1:43 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
mdonald1987's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Lancashire, England
Posts: 86
mdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond reputemdonald1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You can always get one of those posters designed to look like a window with a nice view


Be cheaper, I suppose! But then how will I replicate swimming in Kalamalka lake in 30 degrees heat in August?
mdonald1987 is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 2:16 pm
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,148
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by mdonald1987
Maybe it's a change of scenery in Canada you need? I appreciate I am saying this from here in the UK, but there doesn't appear to be anything boring about the landscapes in BC! The mountains, lakes, waterfalls etc are a thing of beauty, and appear to be accessible with lots of trails. Admittedly, there is a cost to living there but I guess the same can be said of most places now. And if you moved to the coast of BC, winters aren't as long are they? I have to agree, I'm completely disillusioned with life in the UK. It seems like an island of angry little men who are intent on preserving the traditions/culture of a bygone era, but in actual fact are destroying it. I can't wait to escape!
While you say that, I'd agree and it probably is the same everywhere? There have also been enough members who felt Canada or NZ are being destroyed and ironically most people I know who end up moving to Canada live in cities (In 2021, nearly three in four Canadians (73.7%) lived in one of Canada's large urban centres, up from 73.2% five years earlier.). Unfortunately that's what people prefer and they feel bored with scenery after a while. Even in Ireland it's now too densely populated for my liking, but I suppose Dublin is still a good bit away, it's not as bad as England or living in the Canadian cities. Although I was always against moving to small islands again, sometimes I do wish to be somewhere away from boy racers and people who litter the place. I could now see myself moving to Bere Island or somewhere like that, but property is hard to find and there are always downsides. At least today feels like the first day of spring and I even managed to sit out in a t-shirt for an hour, so it's the little things that count.
Moses2013 is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 6:38 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 525
tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Big changes I've noticed in the UK are that it's more crowded and much more woke / nanny state (e.g. rules and regulations, tannoy spam safety messages on trains, etc., CCTV cameras, and so on). I see this trend continuing, immigration is high and it seems a lot easier to introduce new rules than remove existing ones. I believe the woke / nanny state is now ubiquitous in western (and many non-western) countries.

Finding reasonably priced property in nice locations also seems to be an almost universal problem, and one cause must be increased demand
tdrinker is offline  
Old Jan 19th 2023, 7:53 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,148
Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 years but who would go back to the UK?

Originally Posted by tdrinker
Big changes I've noticed in the UK are that it's more crowded and much more woke / nanny state (e.g. rules and regulations, tannoy spam safety messages on trains, etc., CCTV cameras, and so on). I see this trend continuing, immigration is high and it seems a lot easier to introduce new rules than remove existing ones. I believe the woke / nanny state is now ubiquitous in western (and many non-western) countries.

Finding reasonably priced property in nice locations also seems to be an almost universal problem, and one cause must be increased demand
Apparently the UK has reached it's peak and population now in decline. Not sure, thought this article was interesting though. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-no-bad-thing

Although a lot of us always complain about the UK, I can understand that many miss certain things and life changes when you are retired. Many will no longer drive 2 hours for a hike and very few manage to survive in the sticks, so in one way you still have people and traffic around you. I still think I could happily live in Devon or Cornwall if I had to and there are far worse places in the world. I'd still prefer a small cottage there than living in some highrise in Vancouver. Even Isle of Man seems nice enough if you have a small house with garden and easy to get around.

Being in the EU myself, the UK is a no go for me now but not as bad as people make it and still some nice spots left. If you can afford it of coursešŸ¼.




Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 19th 2023 at 8:05 pm.
Moses2013 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.