Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 years in Vancouver

2 years in Vancouver

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 6:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years in Vancouver

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Drive down the coast is on my list of things to do.

People who have done it have loved it. I also one day want to take the train Seattle to LA, it's supposed to be a nice trip as well.
Yup, done it and loved it. Would like to do it again. California and Oregon rock.
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yup, done it and loved it. Would like to do it again. California and Oregon rock.
Haven't spend time in Oregon, but California will always be home, and I will always be biased towards it....

Being from the extreme southern end of California, Oregon was not a quick weekend trip, so never made it up there, always went east towards AZ for weekend road trips.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 4:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't spend time in Oregon, but California will always be home, and I will always be biased towards it....

Being from the extreme southern end of California, Oregon was not a quick weekend trip, so never made it up there, always went east towards AZ for weekend road trips.
It's all good!
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Beckiwoo! It's not always easy to find the path that you need, to get where you're going....just try very hard to enjoy the journey. At 32 I was convinced, and happy about the fact, that I would travel the world unencumbered by small children or males! Then a few years later, I fell in love with a Canadian, and grew another one! Which was an unexpected bonus and shock to us all

If each year is better than the last one, then you are on a path to happiness and heading in the right direction, it's a process, not a race. You will get there! Happy Days!
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:58 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Congratulations Beckiwoo! It's not always easy to find the path that you need, to get where you're going....just try very hard to enjoy the journey. At 32 I was convinced, and happy about the fact, that I would travel the world unencumbered by small children or males! Then a few years later, I fell in love with a Canadian, and grew another one! Which was an unexpected bonus and shock to us all

If each year is better than the last one, then you are on a path to happiness and heading in the right direction, it's a process, not a race. You will get there! Happy Days!
Thanks Millie

And you are right - it is about the journey rather then the destination.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
its just at nearly 32 I just want to settle somewhere, be happy and make a life for myself with someone else
I feel that! I want to settle down but I also need to get this Canada bug out of my system, I'm 31 now and I'm not even there yet!

it is also how this city is so pretentious
I visited Vancouver in June and while I did really enjoy it, I couldn't believe how pretentious it is. We ate in one of those Cactus restaurants on the sea front and my god that was pretentious. What is with the girls in the skin tight dresses that seem to only be there to 'look pretty' aka fake.

On the flip side we loved Granville Island and found that to be the opposite!

Anyway... for what it's worth I hope you find something that makes you feel more content with your situation. Like you say, you're better now than a year ago so that's progress!
Old Sep 6th 2016, 4:09 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk

I visited Vancouver in June and while I did really enjoy it, I couldn't believe how pretentious it is. We ate in one of those Cactus restaurants on the sea front and my god that was pretentious. What is with the girls in the skin tight dresses that seem to only be there to 'look pretty' aka fake.

On the flip side we loved Granville Island and found that to be the opposite!

Anyway... for what it's worth I hope you find something that makes you feel more content with your situation. Like you say, you're better now than a year ago so that's progress!
Good old Cactus Club - yeah the waitresses are employed for their looks but I think most places are like that.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

his heavy work load which is impacting the relationship and his own social life - feel in limbo with that right now.
That's eerily similar to what my situation was in Canada

I gave up on Canada rather than the relationship though

Congrats on 2 years though, i definitely felt that the end of year 2/start of year 3 was the hardest part!
Old Sep 6th 2016, 8:08 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by haggis88
That's eerily similar to what my situation was in Canada

I gave up on Canada rather than the relationship though

Congrats on 2 years though, i definitely felt that the end of year 2/start of year 3 was the hardest part!
sorry to hear that, I didn't know you had returned to Scotland.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 1:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Drive down the coast is on my list of things to do.
I've done that twice and enjoyed it hugely. One of my daughters did the same, sleeping in the car (a hardtop which, for me, rather kills the point). The Vancouvery daughter had to do better, of course, she only went as far as San Francisco, but went on a bicycle.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
...The Vancouvery daughter had to do better, of course, she only went as far as San Francisco, but went on a bicycle.
I did a stretch of the Nile on a bike - not literally the Nile of course.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 9:18 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Is it two years already? Congratulations, I admire your determination and will to succeed. It can't be easy moving to a big city alone. I like the suggestion that you move cities, follow a job and see where that takes you. You'll get there.

PS James is single. how does Torobto appeal?
Old Sep 8th 2016, 5:18 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by bats
Is it two years already? Congratulations, I admire your determination and will to succeed. It can't be easy moving to a big city alone. I like the suggestion that you move cities, follow a job and see where that takes you. You'll get there.

PS James is single. how does Torobto appeal?
Thank you

Lol - Shame Toronto isn't on my list of potential places
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've done that twice and enjoyed it hugely. One of my daughters did the same, sleeping in the car (a hardtop which, for me, rather kills the point). The Vancouvery daughter had to do better, of course, she only went as far as San Francisco, but went on a bicycle.
If I were younger and fit enough, I would consider going by bike at least part way through the less densely populated areas, not sure I would want to ride a bike through the more dense So. California though.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I looked into doing that trip leaving next month ........... train Vancouver to Seattle, Seattle to SF (or rather a town about 50 km outside SF, as train does not go into SF or onto the peninsula since the big earthquake), train SF to Chicago, train Chicago to Seattle, and then Seattle to Vancouver. We had to spend at least one night sometimes 2, in a hotel at each stop.................. and I was aghast at how much it would cost!

It was even expensive to do the Seattle to SF leg ............ and that is form someone who regularly uses VIA across Canada from coast to coast.

The rooms were smaller than on the VIA trains, and the "enclosed toilet" took up a chunk of the internal space (the toilet is an annex to the sleeping cabin on VIA). Mind you, that was better than the toilets in sleeping cabins used on the eastern US routes (I did check) ............ the toilet is NOT "enclosed" but sits out in the open in the cabin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.