Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

2 Years in Edmonton

2 Years in Edmonton

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years in Edmonton

Originally Posted by scootb
if it didn't work out he said our relatives would help fly us back to the UK,thankfully it did work out
What happened to 'no gifts from well off parents' then eh?!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What happened to 'no gifts from well off parents' then eh?!
No well off parents,my mother died in '97 to hospital negligence(we did not sue),my father is retired and on a pension.
All my family just said that if things did not work out they would all chip in to get us home,they seen how bad things were in the west of Scotland after the EU crash,but like I said we didn't need their help!
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:09 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you working on up there?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you're doing well mate, from one Ayrshireman to another

I'll be 3 years this year...and here's to a few more

I'll probably be up Sherwood Park way for work at the end of May/Start of June...we should meet up for a pint if you're around!
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

cbrown-I was working on the bridge girders for the Henday my first 8 months,then I was working on the deck slabs for the bridge girders,from November last year I have been working on the bleachers,wall panels etc.. for the new Oilers stadium(the stadium of champions haha!)

Haggis where in Ayreshire are you from mate?
I was born in Irvine,grew up in Stewarton then Glasgow before going to Largs,Paisley,then to Beith before coming to Canada.

My father will be over visiting us from 6th May till 16th June so give me a shout mate and I'll haul the old pensioner out for a drink.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Edmonton for a year, I liked it. Reminded me of the US, it's a very US like city that Vancouver region just doesn't have.

If not for ex-wife not wanting to stay, I probably would never have left.

Wasn't the most scenic city out there, but of the larger city's I have been to in Canada or lived in, its at the top of the list just below a city in Ontario.

At the time I lived there, rent was still pretty cheap, had a house on the North side (maybe its called something different) 116th and 93rd I think was the street. Only 750 a month, 2 bedroom 1 bath, not a big house but worked for us. Only time a house has been affordable to rent...lol

That was back in 2006 though. I am sure a lot has changed in 9 years.

Looking back, 13 per hour was so much money....lol...We were making 8/hr in BC, so was quite the raise for us at the time.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 24th 2015 at 9:57 am.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

How are you guys finding the move?
My missus has had a few ups and downs but for the most part prefers Canada,even more so now that we got our PR.
We're pretty much settled in now - definitely glad that we made the move!
Graham works on the oil field and so is away quite a bit which takes some getting used to but can't complain as he is lucky to be busy at the moment! Was a bit tough before I had transport but now have my trusty Dodge Ram - still getting used to all the intersections though and not brave enough to venture too far
Hope all is going well with you?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by graham and george
We're pretty much settled in now - definitely glad that we made the move!
Graham works on the oil field and so is away quite a bit which takes some getting used to but can't complain as he is lucky to be busy at the moment! Was a bit tough before I had transport but now have my trusty Dodge Ram - still getting used to all the intersections though and not brave enough to venture too far
Hope all is going well with you?
That's good to hear!
I can imagine it would be a bit tough with your partner working away a lot,it's one of the things that puts me off that type of work as the kids well the oldest anyway is at that age of pushing her luck lol.
Everything is great just now,looking forward to getting some overtime again,it's been a bit slower than this time last year for me.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

That's good to hear!
I can imagine it would be a bit tough with your partner working away a lot,it's one of the things that puts me off that type of work as the kids well the oldest anyway is at that age of pushing her luck lol.
Everything is great just now,looking forward to getting some overtime again,it's been a bit slower than this time last year for me.
Hope that the overtime picks up. My kids are at opposite ends of the spectrum - a hormonal teenage daughter at one end, a stroppy four year old son at the other and two sons in between! It's been a LONG spring break!!!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

My oldest daughter is 10 1/2 just now and is the double of Merida from Brave right down to the fiery red hair,she is a good girl but you know yourself how they go having a teenage daughter lol.
My 8 year old daughter is 9 in June and is a moody one that finds getting a row funny which in turn winds up the missus to no end lol.
The 7 year old turned 7 the day we activated our PR(10th April),she is an angel(for now at least).
We live just behind a newly built park and the Mill Creek Ravine area in Edmonton,so plenty to keep them all active now it's a bit warmer for them to get out.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Haggis where in Ayreshire are you from mate?
I was born in Irvine,grew up in Stewarton then Glasgow before going to Largs,Paisley,then to Beith before coming to Canada.
I'm from Ayr dude, born and bred

That said, we did live in Crosshouse for a couple of years, but let's not talk about that...at least I had my vaccinations beforehand
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haggis88
I'm from Ayr dude, born and bred

That said, we did live in Crosshouse for a couple of years, but let's not talk about that...at least I had my vaccinations beforehand
Lol,I had to take one of my kids to hospital for an appointment to Crosshouse once it took us 45mns to get there from Beith,whereas the RAH in Paisley was only a 25mn drive,they wouldn't let me go to the RAH as that is Renfrewshire,wtf does it matter if you are paying taxes its all the same NHS.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:22 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Ayrshire for 5 years, was in Girvan and worked in Irvine
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I lived in Ayrshire for 5 years, was in Girvan and worked in Irvine
My dad built the bypass at Irvine in the 70's,we used to go there at weekends,I also made my first attempt at ice skating there at the Magnum leisure center,I learned how to do the splits on ice without trying hahaha.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 12:32 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

My dad built the bypass at Irvine in the 70's,we used to go there at weekends,I also made my first attempt at ice skating there at the Magnum leisure center,I learned how to do the splits on ice without trying hahaha.
I am hopeless at skating, I get better with a few drinks, but too much drink and then Im rubbish again. I use to spend some time in Stranraer and Port Patrick as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.