Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1st year has flown by!

1st year has flown by!

Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of
Default 1st year has flown by!

Today is our 1st Canniversary, and I can't believe how fast it has gone. It seems like only last week that we were waving our teary goodbyes as the taxi left for London Heathrow...

Well, the first year has been intense and crazy. We intended to rent somewhere for the first few months, but ended up buying a place within 6 weeks of getting here. We stayed with the people I was working with for the first 6 weeks, but ended up being desperate for a place of our own. No-one seemed prepared to let us rent anywhere for shorter than a year, so we bought instead. We have a lovely 4 bed house that is far too big for our needs. Going from a 735 sq ft 3 bed house in the UK to a 3200 sq ft house was a bit of a shock. We came over with suitcases and shipped only personal/sentimental stuff, so we're still trying to fill the place! Furniture is more expensive here.

I had a job secured prior to arriving here which I started on Jan 1st 2009 (I came over via PNP route with PR). Unfortunately, it took my OH almost 7 months to find work. He doesn't have any educational certificates from the UK, and isn't qualified in any trade. He worked for Thames water before we came here, running his own site, but that counted for nothing! It was frustrating for him applying for jobs and hearing nothing. It really is a case of who you know, not what you know. Thankfully, he eventually found a job in the motor industry.

I think the hardest thing for us has been making friends. I work quite unsocial hours and spend a lot of time on call (I'm a midwife) which makes it difficult for us to get out, or commit to any regular activities. I have work colleagues who I talk to, but I miss having close friends.

Driving was easier than I had anticipated, and I passed my test first time around (it took my 6 goes at passing my UK test!!). The roads here are also a lot quieter than I am used to, even though the locals seem to think they are busy (HWY 1 vs M1/M3/M25). I have seen much more dodgy driving here than I ever did in the UK

We feel settled here now, and Canada feels like home. It took about 4 months before I stopped feeling like I was on holiday! I haven't felt homesick at all. It's been great exploring and discovering the beautiful scenery that Canada has to offer. We have tried new things, eg kayaking & shooting, and we're planning on taking snowboarding lessons in the coming weeks. We've also seen quite a few bands since being here, and I've discovered loads of new bands that I like too

Ideally, we'd like to be closer to Vancouver. We currently live in the Fraser Valley, and although it's lovely, Abbotsford isn't exactly a happening place - unless you like church

Do I have any regrets? Only that I didn't make the move years ago!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

Lorna999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st year has flown by!

What a lovely positive post. Glad it has worked out for you guys... and long may it continue!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna999
What a lovely positive post. Glad it has worked out for you guys... and long may it continue!
Great post, have a fantastic 2010
x
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:30 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

A nice positive post. I hope the coming years are even better for you and yours.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:33 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:41 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

What a Happy New Year - great post - thanks
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Well done to the pair of you - best wishes for 2010 and let's hope things just get better and better
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the time to write your great post. Gives me a bit more confidence if we're successful. Have a great 2010.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations and best wishes for 2010
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

I loved reading your post, thank you. I worry about making friends, although we're lucky as I already have friends in Canada so we won't be completely alone. I have also wondered about the driving. I passed my test in France so I know that I can drive on the other side of the road.
I hope this year is as amazing as last year.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, gosh what a quick year that was, fantastic post
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Bibendum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Congratulations, gosh what a quick year that was, fantastic post
congratulations. i hope it works out well for you in 2010.