Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1st Nova Scotia Canniversary!!!!

1st Nova Scotia Canniversary!!!!

Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:44 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st Nova Scotia Canniversary!!!!

Well this past year has flown and brought so many changes that we could not have anticipated when we stepped off the plane a year ago. We came via 4 years in New Zealand which were a great experience in many ways, but day to day a hard life. We took 10 months to sell our renovated house in NZ and lost a lot of potential equity in the property crash. Also experienced the unexpected death of my father in those 10 months waiting to come to NS, so it was a very traumatic time and I guess some of the familiar stories of many of us in this era of the credit crunch. Suffice to say, we were ready to leave and had been a daily fixture on BE during that time, trying to explore all the answers we wanted to have regarding NS because we hadnt been so prepared when we emigrated to NZ.

When we arrived, it was after a month of family time in the UK and we were really ready to leave and start our new life in Canada. It was good to return and see if we felt any sense of connection to the UK, any sense of loss - there was none. It actually served to remind us that the same things that irked us in the first place were still evident and that family is great, but they dont live in your direct lives, which is probably for the best too!

But getting on that plane at Heathrow and jetting off the Great White North and the never experienced snow storms and lows of -20 or more. There were natural anxieties, and a fear that coming mid January and starting work immediately might not be condusive to settling in.....but that wasnt an issue. The initial phase of staying in a B&B was not inspiring, it makes us both realise that we dont like other people's well meant advice, help or views of a place - we like to find that ourselves. I guess having emigrated once,we have a sense of adventure and dont want someone else's opinions clouding our own..........even if some of them proved to be right.

Anyway, we actually arrived and got off the plane and OH was noticably perterbed by the brown grass and the fir trees and the general drabness of the land around the airport. But by the time we had got out of customs and got the keys for the hire car, a snow storm had started! We struggled with 3 children and 10 large cases to the other end of the carpark, snow blowing around us and settling on the kids and the luggage. We then struggled to get car seats and luggage into a Dodge Caravan, which was no easy task. Then set up the Satnav and get the B&B address out of whichever case it had made sense to hide it in. Then came the first occaission either of us had driven on the wrong side of the road. In a white out snow storm, after 24 hours of no sleep and no idea of where the road markings might even be under the snow. Ah the stuff of legend........well between the 2 of us anyway.

In fact for the first 3 months I was beginning to assume that Canadians were the most rude of drivers because *I* had never seen *the finger* so often in all my driving years. It turns out that the locals arent very forgiving for those of us who are new and cant so easily see the lane markings on the road in snowy and rainy conditions........and these people are born and raised here, so they dont remember never knowing implicitly where on the road they need to be!

So as soon as able, we rented in a less that shiny neighbourhood (Spryfield) which suited us really well and bought a house in July (Tantallon). Our house now is fanastic, the best one we have ever owned and we are ready to live here for a very long time. The school is great and the kids are so settled here with great new friends and fantastic teachers. They are blossoming.

Both our jobs are good, we have a great group of Canadian colleagues who make work easy to enjoy, its a very human kind of environment to work in. On a professional note, I have arrived at a very fortunate time as Midwifery is becoming Regulated in NS shortly, which on the one hand means huge jumping through hoops, exams, proving myelf professionally etc etc, but (if I get offered one of the 7 jobs in the province) will be wonderful. Though not without immense stress and changes to our lives, I feel ready for it and lucky to be here because of it. So fingers crossed.

So our year has been a fast one and a surprisingly busy/stressful one at times, but it has found us in a new home, feeling like we have come home. Never thought it would feel as right as it actually does, so we are very lucky indeed.

Here's to another year and all that it might bring, good and bad. Hoping it is more of the former!!

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Nova Scotia Canniversary!!!!

Originally Posted by Poppy2

Well this past year has flown and brought so many changes that we could not have anticipated when we stepped off the plane a year ago. We came via 4 years in New Zealand which were a great experience in many ways, but day to day a hard life. We took 10 months to sell our renovated house in NZ and lost a lot of potential equity in the property crash. Also experienced the unexpected death of my father in those 10 months waiting to come to NS, so it was a very traumatic time and I guess some of the familiar stories of many of us in this era of the credit crunch. Suffice to say, we were ready to leave and had been a daily fixture on BE during that time, trying to explore all the answers we wanted to have regarding NS because we hadnt been so prepared when we emigrated to NZ.

When we arrived, it was after a month of family time in the UK and we were really ready to leave and start our new life in Canada. It was good to return and see if we felt any sense of connection to the UK, any sense of loss - there was none. It actually served to remind us that the same things that irked us in the first place were still evident and that family is great, but they dont live in your direct lives, which is probably for the best too!

But getting on that plane at Heathrow and jetting off the Great White North and the never experienced snow storms and lows of -20 or more. There were natural anxieties, and a fear that coming mid January and starting work immediately might not be condusive to settling in.....but that wasnt an issue. The initial phase of staying in a B&B was not inspiring, it makes us both realise that we dont like other people's well meant advice, help or views of a place - we like to find that ourselves. I guess having emigrated once,we have a sense of adventure and dont want someone else's opinions clouding our own..........even if some of them proved to be right.

Anyway, we actually arrived and got off the plane and OH was noticably perterbed by the brown grass and the fir trees and the general drabness of the land around the airport. But by the time we had got out of customs and got the keys for the hire car, a snow storm had started! We struggled with 3 children and 10 large cases to the other end of the carpark, snow blowing around us and settling on the kids and the luggage. We then struggled to get car seats and luggage into a Dodge Caravan, which was no easy task. Then set up the Satnav and get the B&B address out of whichever case it had made sense to hide it in. Then came the first occaission either of us had driven on the wrong side of the road. In a white out snow storm, after 24 hours of no sleep and no idea of where the road markings might even be under the snow. Ah the stuff of legend........well between the 2 of us anyway.

In fact for the first 3 months I was beginning to assume that Canadians were the most rude of drivers because *I* had never seen *the finger* so often in all my driving years. It turns out that the locals arent very forgiving for those of us who are new and cant so easily see the lane markings on the road in snowy and rainy conditions........and these people are born and raised here, so they dont remember never knowing implicitly where on the road they need to be!

So as soon as able, we rented in a less that shiny neighbourhood (Spryfield) which suited us really well and bought a house in July (Tantallon). Our house now is fanastic, the best one we have ever owned and we are ready to live here for a very long time. The school is great and the kids are so settled here with great new friends and fantastic teachers. They are blossoming.

Both our jobs are good, we have a great group of Canadian colleagues who make work easy to enjoy, its a very human kind of environment to work in. On a professional note, I have arrived at a very fortunate time as Midwifery is becoming Regulated in NS shortly, which on the one hand means huge jumping through hoops, exams, proving myelf professionally etc etc, but (if I get offered one of the 7 jobs in the province) will be wonderful. Though not without immense stress and changes to our lives, I feel ready for it and lucky to be here because of it. So fingers crossed.

So our year has been a fast one and a surprisingly busy/stressful one at times, but it has found us in a new home, feeling like we have come home. Never thought it would feel as right as it actually does, so we are very lucky indeed.

Here's to another year and all that it might bring, good and bad. Hoping it is more of the former!!

That is amasing Poppy 1 whole year it doesn't seem possible, im so pleased it is working out for your Happy Caniversary

Great post by the way and wish you all the very best for the next year,
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:23 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your 1st Canniversary, here's to many more
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:32 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 1st Canniversary

Glad you all settled in quickly and are loving this new chapter in your life
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Canniversary to you all.

I for one am particularly glad that you came to Nova Scotia. You have been a great friend to me, I don't know where we would be without you.

Here's to the next 25 Canniversaries
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, so glad you have survived the rollercoaster first year and are loving life in NS - here's to many more!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to beholdNovaGirl is a splendid one to behold

CONGRATUALTIONS POPPY

HAPPY 1ST CANNIVERSARY

I still can't believe a year has flown by

NG x

Last edited by NovaGirl; Jan 15th 2009 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

That year went quickly ! Congrats, and here's to many more
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:22 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATS!!! Well done on your 1st year, a real inspriration to those of us that have only just set out on our journey, we have been here 3 months now so our 1st Canniversary is a way off yet, but Im sure it will soon come round!! Here's to the next year!!
Bella
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy2

Cheers you happy lot! Wishes for a coming year.....and I must teach you to answer your voice mail!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Popps
Old Jan 15th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Happy Canniversary - what a year, but fab eh!

Hope this year goes even better for you.

Great read as well by the way
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

AyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really niceAyrLass is just really nice

Happy Canniversary, great post
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:22 am
Just Joined

billybobsamandalex is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done and thankyou for your hospitality during my recce visit.

I know what you mean about B and B 's !

regards

Rob
Old Jan 17th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

Didnt realise we were on such similar timelines! All the best for Canada year 2!