British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   12 Months in Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/12-months-calgary-835832/)

JBJ14 Jun 6th 2014 3:32 pm

12 Months in Calgary

Hey Everyone

Well it's been an experience, I can tell you that. We are LOVING it here, the 1st 6 months were getting everything organised, and the last 6 months have been learning 'real life' in Calgary!

After extensive networking for my businesses, I have a pretty good professional network now. I have seen the light as to how they do business differently and created the 'Calgary' Wayne for business. I hired a salesman at first as I thought my confusing accent would put people off. How wrong I was, Calgarians are certainly open to immigration and embrace the foreign invasion :p

I have very little negative to say after 12 months, I know it's still kind of the honeymoon period but I am really enjoying it. Planning some of those all inclusive family trips that are so cheap from here for later in the year.

Next week I will be strolling around at the Global Petroleum Show for some more networking and getting prepared for my 2nd Stampede.

No regrets .. none at all, miss some of our friends, but we are constantly invited out to go camping, go to someones cabin or just go for dinner. Very social bunch, but you really have to work your way in. Charities, networking, schools, community volunteering have all been a big part of our last 12 months.

Anyway just an update ... hope everyone is well, getting ready for the world cup and the stampede if you're in Calgary .... yeeeeee hawwwwwwww

Cheers
Wayne :thumbsup:

MovALot Jun 6th 2014 8:59 pm

Re: 12 Months in Calgary

Originally Posted by JBJ14 (Post 11291611)
Hey Everyone

Well it's been an experience, I can tell you that. We are LOVING it here, the 1st 6 months were getting everything organised, and the last 6 months have been learning 'real life' in Calgary!

After extensive networking for my businesses, I have a pretty good professional network now. I have seen the light as to how they do business differently and created the 'Calgary' Wayne for business. I hired a salesman at first as I thought my confusing accent would put people off. How wrong I was, Calgarians are certainly open to immigration and embrace the foreign invasion :p

I have very little negative to say after 12 months, I know it's still kind of the honeymoon period but I am really enjoying it. Planning some of those all inclusive family trips that are so cheap from here for later in the year.

Next week I will be strolling around at the Global Petroleum Show for some more networking and getting prepared for my 2nd Stampede.

No regrets .. none at all, miss some of our friends, but we are constantly invited out to go camping, go to someones cabin or just go for dinner. Very social bunch, but you really have to work your way in. Charities, networking, schools, community volunteering have all been a big part of our last 12 months.

Anyway just an update ... hope everyone is well, getting ready for the world cup and the stampede if you're in Calgary .... yeeeeee hawwwwwwww

Cheers
Wayne :thumbsup:

Nice to see a positive post - as someone who is soon to come over into Calgary with a sponsored job certainly eases some of our worries

Mo Cassidy Jul 10th 2014 2:44 pm

Re: 12 Months in Calgary

Good to here your enjoying life in Calgary, I'm in Okotoks and the same goes for me, no complaints at all, as for the world cup? As you know by now its nearly over, Brazil got battered which was a world shock, but as for good old England? same old stuff, not good enough, oh! well maybe next time, [he said laughingly]