Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

10 years and going back

10 years and going back

Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 years and going back

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I *am* the average UK working man (well, woman), and things are definitely improving. Houses are suddenly selling quickly, at least where I am, and somebody I know that lost their job in the recession has found work again.

I'm not relying on the papers, I'm going on experience and the official figures that show that employment is up, house prices are on the rise again, etc. Having said that, I suspect it's probably a different story 'oop North', as there seems to be the usual North/South divide.

But I was simply correcting your statement of fact that the recession is 'ongoing', which isn't true. Or do you know something that the Bank of England and IMF don't?!?
+1

There's nothing wrong with relying on the papers, they are generally more accurate than an individual's view on the economy, particularly an individual 4000 miles away in the great international metropolis of Edmonton.

UK is most definitely coming out of recession, and with Osborne's schoolboy tinkering, a house price boom is well underway. Sold signs popping up all over the place.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Do I want to live in the US……. Nope !!
Easier to drive a U-Haul to.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
UK is most definitely coming out of recession, and with Osborne's schoolboy tinkering, a house price boom is well underway. Sold signs popping up all over the place.
Given that the recession was caused in large part by a property price fuelled glut of credit and by rapacious and criminal bankers, one wonders if anyone will ever learn anything at all.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 3:30 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Given that the recession was caused in large part by a property price fuelled glut of credit and by rapacious and criminal bankers, one wonders if anyone will ever learn anything at all.
Well its back to the usual UK 10yr Boom Bust cycle

I don't think they will ever learn

Since I was small everybody has believed house prices only go up, even when they’re coming down, having said that it’s been going to the dogs and on its last legs since I was small too…
Old Oct 21st 2013, 6:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is, I was stuck on the Bristol Road in rush hour only a couple of weeks ago in Bournville - rather you than me.

Sorry for that depressing commentary but I would rather be unemployed in Canada, I think.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 7:16 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Bournville
Oh bliss! the best thing that came out of there was chocolate. I hope you enjoy it.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:14 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
All I can say is, I was stuck on the Bristol Road in rush hour only a couple of weeks ago in Bournville - rather you than me.

Sorry for that depressing commentary but I would rather be unemployed in Canada, I think.
Clearly you haven't used the 400 seris highway in Toronto for a while...

But then at least i have the option to use a train to comute
Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

+1

There's nothing wrong with relying on the papers, they are generally more accurate than an individual's view on the economy, particularly an individual 4000 miles away in the great international metropolis of Edmonton.

Obviously I don't keep in touch with family and friends back in the sUK.
The only reason people say that it is over is because it couldn't really get much worse,so any growth sparks the "its over" nonsense,there is more to the UK economy than the south of england by the way!
Businesses are still shutting down,unemployment is still on the rise,banks still don't like to lend.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
The only reason people say that it is over is because it couldn't really get much worse,so any growth sparks the "its over" nonsense,there is more to the UK economy than the south of england by the way!
Businesses are still shutting down,unemployment is still on the rise,banks still don't like to lend.
Is there?
Old Oct 25th 2013, 10:55 pm
Part Time Poster

The only reason people say that it is over is because it couldn't really get much worse,so any growth sparks the "its over" nonsense,there is more to the UK economy than the south of England by the way!
Just because I'm picky
and I do talk with my relatives back home
and because I can read news papers on-line

Some businesses are shutting down, and some are growing, and some offering jobs as I accepted one!!!

It doesn't take much looking, but which ever way you choose to spin the numbers unemployment is going down overall, not fast, but faster than expected..

And Bank's will always lend, itsjust the terms and conditions that change and after the crash thats not realy a surprise or at least it shouldn't' be

However you should also take note that the bank of Canada is giving consideration to a possible future interest rate cut, I don't think that points to a bed of roses

Last edited by MikeUK; Oct 25th 2013 at 10:58 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:27 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I know, Mike. Once you've decided to leave there's no reason at all for pretending that it was a good idea in the first place.

Good luck in Chocolateville,
Old Oct 26th 2013, 2:35 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I know, Mike. Once you've decided to leave there's no reason at all for pretending that it was a good idea in the first place.

Good luck in Chocolateville,
Oh I don't know, I still think it was a good idea too come, I do think it was naive to think I'd stay........

Love Canada 9 out of 12 months of the year... it's just the other 3 that's the problem... throw in lack of long term job security and a realization there's no f'ing way i'd want to retire here and the goal posts move...

I'm pretty sure there will be a few holidays, and I think camping lake side will be one of my summer destinations..
Old Oct 26th 2013, 3:53 pm
Yo

Oh I don't know, I still think it was a good idea too come, I do think it was naive to think I'd stay........

Love Canada 9 out of 12 months of the year... it's just the other 3 that's the problem... throw in lack of long term job security and a realization there's no f'ing way i'd want to retire here and the goal posts move...

I'm pretty sure there will be a few holidays, and I think camping lake side will be one of my summer destinations..
And if fundamentally you like Canada, never say never on a return. You may find your attitudes toward Blighty have changed in the interim.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 6:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Phew, thank goodness we've got you to correct the official figures. Presumably you've told the government that the number of unemployed is actually going up, that the increased lending is a figment of their imagination (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f4efcece-3...#axzz2iquCPS2g) and that the huge price rises in housing in some parts of the country are wrong too?

And to think that the Bank of England have just announced that the UK economy is recovering much quicker than expected, you've called Mark Carney and let him know of his mistake? http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/272b964c-3...44feab7de.html

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 26th 2013 at 6:05 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 8:05 pm
Part Time Poster

And if fundamentally you like Canada, never say never on a return. You may find your attitudes toward Blighty have changed in the interim.
It's my second time here......

This bounce effect I know all too well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.