Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

10 years on the forum

10 years on the forum

Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:29 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default 10 years on the forum

I passed the landmark on the 9th November.

Here was my first ever post which was on the first of not very many threads that I've started:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...worker-407074/

It was answered by the infamous Andrew Miller.

Over the 10 years my favourite post ever remains Post 4 on this thread by DBD33 on his experience in Ottawa:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...a-like-652263/

4 people on here are Facebook friends now. Several others I can communicate with via other means.

I can't actually count in my head the Meet Up's at the Yard I've been too but I'm fairly certain it is just over 10 and probably past 15. The largest quite comfortably was Novo's leaving do.

During the 10 years I've lived in 6 places. 2 in Reading. 1 in London and 3 in Toronto. I've also for various reasons worked in 10 places.

I've become an Uncle 5 times. This took next to no effort on my par by the way.

The forum in general has been a good escape/go to to release frustrations with Canadian life and also to partake in some good laughs and arguments. I'm embarrassed to say it's intellectually above anything else I go to.

I was going to do a list of favoured posters but it would be extensive and there would be too many missed.

I intend to have beers with more of you and wonder how long this will continue to go.

Will the last person please remember to switch of the light.

P.S. No they haven't seen me a mug despite my long tenure

Last edited by JamesM; Nov 17th 2016 at 1:35 am.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 years on the forum

There's a thread for this very topic on the canniversary forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canni...ersary-882643/
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:36 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
There's a thread for this very topic on the canniversary forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canni...ersary-882643/
Don't steal my moment you big jerk!

I'll be doing my 7 years in Canniversary in January! That one will display an update of anecdotes on how to survive in this rugged wasteland.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Moved...just because it's James.

Originally Posted by JamesM

I'll be doing my 7 years in Canniversary in January! That one will display an update of anecdotes on how to survive in this rugged wasteland.
You can open another thread in January 2017.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 17th 2016 at 1:40 am.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:52 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It’s been eight naffing years for me with nearly 18k posts. Where do I get the time? I didn’t really need help moving here but I had been on a site with British expats living in the US, so it seemed a natural progression to moan about Canada, although, you’ll be grateful to note, that by moving to Canada I swapped drinking and womanizing for drinking and fishing.
We had one large meet up here but the place has been turned into a Vietnamese restaurant (their chicken wings are the bollox) and we haven't had another one since. I have met up with some other posters a few times. One memorable one was a Christmas pub-crawl with a couple of lads but one moved away to pan for gold and the other got expelled.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 2:12 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Oink
It’s been eight naffing years for me with nearly 18k posts. Where do I get the time? I didn’t really need help moving here but I had been on a site with British expats living in the US, so it seemed a natural progression to moan about Canada, although, you’ll be grateful to note, that by moving to Canada I swapped drinking and womanizing for drinking and fishing.
We had one large meet up here but the place has been turned into a Vietnamese restaurant (their chicken wings are the bollox) and we haven't had another one since. I have met up with some other posters a few times. One memorable one was a Christmas pub-crawl with a couple of lads but one moved away to pan for gold and the other got expelled.
Pub Crawling is hard work in Canada.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Time flies when your having fun...

Seems I am approaching 11 years here in January, although I have met 0 people, but I seem to have moved around a lot more.......

Old Nov 17th 2016, 10:40 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

You had some marvelous threads back in the good old days "What's Ottawa Like" and dbd's experiences had me howling
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No, No, it's not stealing, it's sharing the BE experience.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The forum in general has been a good escape/go to to release frustrations with Canadian life and also to partake in some good laughs and arguments. I'm embarrassed to say it's intellectually above anything else I go to.
This. It's why I'm still here after 11.5 years.

I intend to have beers with more of you and wonder how long this will continue to go.
Originally Posted by Oink
Pub Crawling is hard work in Canada.
Come East young men & I'll buy you a pint.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 6:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
This. It's why I'm still here after 11.5 years.

Come East young men & I'll buy you a pint.
One day. One day.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 3:24 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first time I been on here for a few years and I saw your post (and a lot of the old gang posting). I was on BE back then too and it will be 10 years for us in January. Two weeks ago we moved from NS to SE Calgary. So begins the next chapter!
Old Nov 18th 2016, 12:00 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Cookie
This is the first time I been on here for a few years and I saw your post (and a lot of the old gang posting). I was on BE back then too and it will be 10 years for us in January. Two weeks ago we moved from NS to SE Calgary. So begins the next chapter!
For some reason I thought you moved ages ago.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot to enumerate Hooterina conquests!
Old Nov 19th 2016, 12:45 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For some reason I thought you moved ages ago.
House was on her market a while and didn't sell so we decided to rent it out and rent In Calgary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.