Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1 Year in Toronto next week!

1 Year in Toronto next week!

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

gaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 Year in Toronto next week!

So it’s been almost a year since me and the OH made the move to Toronto from Grantham, Lincs, and it has been a year alright!

First off, we both came here on the old 1 year IEC visa (2014 quota) and made the decision to apply for a second one in 2015. We were lucky in some respects that CIC made changes to the UK IEC visas so that they folks get one 2-year visa rather than the old system of two 1-year visas (applied for separately of course). As we had applied for one visa each under the old system we were able to apply for a 2-year visa each (which we both secured and activated at the Rainbow bridge last month).

Well I left a decent career in the Army (nearly 8 years served in Military Intelligence) and the OH had been working as a HR Officer with the NHS for her last 2 years (and a further 3 years of HR Experience before that) and both had ‘university level’ education (a foundation degree in my case and a Level 5 certificate in HR Management in her case). We both felt that we would have half a chance at finding some form of professional work in the city if we were persistent.

We had originally planned to go towards Hamilton (as our savings would go further there than in Toronto) but we both felt the attraction to Toronto instantly so had 7 days in our downtown hotel to draw up a new plan. We found a place near Sheppard-Yonge after 4 days and were holding the keys on day 5 (although we lost a big chunk of savings on the 4 month deposit for newcomers and had to present our resumes to the management in order to persuade them to gamble on us). We both loved the area, but it was more expensive than I wanted us to pay for (still had Hamilton prices in my head dammit, everything in Toronto was easily over $1k a month)

We both registered at a few temp agencies in the first week and the OH managed to get a string of 2-3 week receptionist jobs at a little above minimum wage, but these were often interspersed with days or weeks between assignments. I managed to get 2 days work in a post room and the offer of a 3 hour job as a ‘blackshirted’ attendant at a bar mitzvah somewhere around Markham (which I politely declined) and promptly heard nothing back from the agency despite me trying to find that magic balance between being ‘interested’ and ‘keen’ but without coming across as pushy….but I fear my rejection of the bar mitzvah job upset my recruiter.

After a couple of months of unemployment, cold winter days and savings quickly disappearing I managed to secure work as a Risk Analyst with Ryerson University, although this was a contract position through the security company GardaWorld. I was so happy to get a job after sending out nearly 500 online applications (I still have the spreadsheet for posterity purposes), email and phone call follow ups and meetings with other recruitment agencies. The one downside to this job was that although the work was right up my alley (and compared what I have done in the past, very easy and relaxed) I was paid nominally as a ‘security guard’ and received a security guards salary and perks (ie not many) rather than pay commensurate to the work I was providing to the universities senior managers and executives. But you have to pay the bills.

We spent most of the spring and summer living paycheck to paycheck, and began to despise everything around us. We had lost all of our savings (and began incurring debt on our UK cards and family loans), my OH couldn’t break out of receptionist roles (although in June she got a 6 month assignment which helped us with planning for the future). Every time we spoke with relatives at home or work colleagues/acquaintances here they would say things like ‘Canada is so awesome’, ‘I bet you are loving life over there’ or the worst ‘I would love to be in your shoes’ because if I am honest we weren’t feeling like it. I spent the summer months applying for a better paying job, but after a couple of failed interviews with the big banks I was starting to despair too. It had been my decision to make this move and I felt responsible for it not turning out as well as I had hoped.

We made our mind up in August to cut our losses whilst we had the benefit of two jobs and this was promptly followed by my employer agreeing to shell out $3.5k on project management training for me at the University of Toronto, and another $3k on Business Continuity Management certification. I felt that this would be nice to have going back to the UK, and something salvageable from the experience. I found the courses really re-invigorating, learning new things and meeting new people. All of a sudden I was starting to feel my confidence coming back, but we had made the decision to leave for the UK at Christmas and I didn’t want to mess everything up with my regrets.

In November, quite out of the blue I received an interview request with the University of Toronto for a position I had applied for in July (and had long forgotten about, but it was there in my spreadsheet when I checked later that day). I decided that I had nothing to lose at this stage and gave it a crack. Within a couple of weeks I had received a job offer to work as an Advisor at the University of Toronto and I was (and still am) a bit flabbergasted at how late in the day it came in. My OH and I had a long hard chat about it and have decided to give Toronto another go, now that our financial troubles are largely solved we are hoping that 2016 will be the year that we hoped 2015 would have been.

Funny enough, we have just spent a couple of weeks in the UK over Christmas, and we felt so out of sorts and, for myself at least, didn’t feel settled or comfortable in my old surroundings. This is quite odd for me, as I have been away with the Army enough times to not really worry about this type of thing…..but I suppose with the Army you stay in a little British bubble wherever you go in the world, and that’s not been the case since we got to Canada last year.

We love the weather, and I know Toronto gets a lot of stick from cradles for being a bit grey and damp, but compared to what we are used to in the UK the difference is noticeable (as is the difference in day length in December!). We have done as much as we could afford in terms of sites and travel around the city, a trip to Niagara Falls, a few TFC games and even a brief foray to Buffalo to watch the Bills last month!

Looking back on this year, I would never want to make an international move without employment and accommodation arranged in advance (and that is a fear we have of going back to the UK when our jobs/visas here expire, but that is some time off yet) although my OH for the first time has entertained the thought of PR, which is a big step from where she was this summer. We shall see what this year brings I guess ☺

Apologies for the long thread but I will nip it here and wish you all a Happy New Year, and I look forward to the next expat meetup in Toronto (as we tentatively attended one in Jan or Feb last year….and didn’t really feel like expats, being fresh off the boat and not settled in any sort of way).
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 Year in Toronto next week!

Interesting to read your summary and pleased that things are looking up for you now. Sounds like 2016 will be your year! I met you both at the expats do in Scotland Yard and look forward to seeing you again� ����
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post and very informative for those thinking they can walk into a job!

So glad to hear that things are finally starting to pan out and wishing you every success - hang in there!

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

gaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
What a great post and very informative for those thinking they can walk into a job!

So glad to hear that things are finally starting to pan out and wishing you every success - hang in there!

Indeed Siouxie, the job market here is tough/saturated in Toronto (just based on my own experiences and observations at the significant number of underemployed graduates and overqualified migrants I see already working here). Both my breaks came down to my rather niche skills and experience, but without the network and local market knowledge, you just have to apply for those dozens (and sometimes hundreds) of positions first and hope you get a couple of bites! I have also had the lack of PR status bite me a couple of times, which would certainly open more doors for me in the future.

My OH still hasn't had a job interview despite applying for lots of admin type roles (but those skills are less niche and more common in the wider population, and without spending a small fortune on Ontario's CHRP her HR skills are pretty much 'irrelevant' in the eyes of employers here) so we will have a bit of rethink on her career strategy between now and spring. Luckily there is a steady stream of temping working available which is good for our monthly income, the downside with these positions however are that they lack the benefits of being a permanent employee (vacation and sick benefits spring to mind), and the short notice changes to employer or location can be a bit disorientating and make you feel like you are being held to ransom at times.

It's been a pretty steep learning curve for us both, and regardless of whether we stay here or go back to the UK in the longer term, I honestly don't think we will face many more daunting challenges in life after this year :fingers crossed:

I also spoke to a couple of prospective IEC'ers in the UK over Christmas who hold down decent careers at present, and my advice was 'expectation management' when it comes to employment, particularly in the more professional fields. I think there is still a general feeling in the old country that Canada is a land of milk and honey with jobs aplenty, although I'm not nearly old enough or wise enough to know if this was ever true or not

Last edited by gaz_c2c; Jan 3rd 2016 at 11:19 pm.
Old May 5th 2016, 6:57 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this Gaz- congrats on getting in there at UoT, and getting all settled down!
Old May 6th 2016, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaz_c2c
So it’s been almost a year since me and the OH made the move to Toronto from Grantham, Lincs, and it has been a year alright! ...
Great read cheers. I'm glad things are looking up for you both, it sounds like you've had a hard first year which must have sapped your enthusiasm. I look forward to another update to see how you guys get on.
Best of luck, take care
Old May 6th 2016, 2:00 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting read and you have our best wishes for the future.
I suspect, that what you describe may be par for the course for those arriving without employment etc.
It's also hard for those who have arranged employment. Quite often the OH doesn't and it can be dispiriting for them, as it was for my son-in-law. But time passes, situations change and the bad times become something of a challenge well won.
I'm looking forward to episode 2.
Old May 6th 2016, 10:14 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

A great read Gaz, pleased things are looking up for you! I remember meeting you both at the Scotland Yard ages ago, you should come out again, there's another one on 10 June, same spot!

Hope your good fortunes continue through 2016!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point

4 month deposit for newcomers
Illegal in Ontario to ask for 4 months up front. They should have known better.

You stand more chance approaching them with credit reports from Experian and UK tenancy references/mortgage statements.