British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   1 year in Hamilton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/1-year-hamilton-939748/)

crofty82 Jul 27th 2021 1:24 pm

1 year in Hamilton

A year ago today we touched down at Pearson just after the end of the first wave of Covid-19. The move had been two and a half years in the planning and was delayed from April to July 2020 because of the pandemic. We sold our house and moved in with in laws in January 2020 for what was supposed to be three months but ended up being six. We had both given up our jobs at the end of February so my wife set up as a freelance graphic designer and I got an emergency job as a Department Manager at Tesco for our last few months in the UK.

We arrived in that "in between" phase when most things were sort of open depending on where you were in Canada. Masks were (and still are at time of writing) compulsory in Ontario when we arrived and in fact they had been made compulsory in the UK too a few days before we left. We got taxi from a deathly quiet Pearson Airport to our Airbnb to start our two-weeks quarantine and when we arrived the fancy smart lock on the door to the appartment didn't work, so we were stuck outside in 30 degree + heat. Luckily the next door neighbour (who is now one of our best friends) was sat on the front porch and called the owner (who is also now one of our best friends) so we were able to get the spare key to let ourselves in.

It's been a weird year, as it has been for everyone, because it's been Covid the whole time we've been here so we haven't experienced living in a fully opened up Canada yet. We've been extremely lucky that by having great neighbours we've been able to accelerate the process of making friends by several years, which has really helped us settle in and not feel like outcasts.

I had no luck in the initial job search when I was looking for positions similar to what I had in the UK so I took a warehousing role as a Material Handler in an electronics factory in Burlington, and my boss quit on my first day! She was replaced by someone completely unqualified who alienated everyone in the plant and ended up leaving as well six weeks later, so I was promoted to Team Leader and stayed there until May 2021 when I got my current job as Customer Support Manager at a tech firm in Mississauga. Mrs crofty82 carried on doing her UK freelance work remotely then got an in-house job as a Graphic Designer at Canada's largest pet store, which she loves.

So that's our first year in a nutshell. No plans or desire to live in the UK again but am hoping for a visit in September because I'm best man at a wedding in Norfolk and we of course want to see our folks.

dbd33 Jul 27th 2021 1:55 pm

Re: 1 year in Hamilton

That seems like a happy tale of persistence rewarded. Congratulations.

Souvy Jul 27th 2021 3:41 pm

Sounds a bit like arriving in Canada in February when you've only ever been before in August, If you've made it through that little lot, I'm guessing you are good to go with the rest. Even Hamilton.

dbd33 Jul 27th 2021 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 13034046)
Sounds a bit like arriving in Canada in February when you've only ever been before in August, If you've made it through that little lot, I'm guessing you are good to go with the rest. Even Hamilton.

Hamilton has been socially rehabilitated, don't you know? One is not supposed to think of it as a smelly dump anymore.

Souvy Jul 27th 2021 8:24 pm

Bleedin' political correctness!

crofty82 Jul 27th 2021 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 13034091)
Hamilton has been socially rehabilitated, don't you know? One is not supposed to think of it as a smelly dump anymore.

The Mountain and Stoney Creek, which are the two places we've lived since being here are lovely. Parts of downtown are still decidedly sketchy but equally parts of it are gentrified and therefore quite nice.

HGerchikov Jul 28th 2021 2:15 pm

Congratulations to you both. It certainly hasn't been an easy start but you have battled through and made it work. Glad you are planning on staying, I see many more mead drinking evenings in our future!

Siouxie Jul 29th 2021 12:39 am

Originally Posted by crofty82 (Post 13034120)
The Mountain and Stoney Creek, which are the two places we've lived since being here are lovely. Parts of downtown are still decidedly sketchy but equally parts of it are gentrified and therefore quite nice.

Having lived in Hamilton for over 20 years (unlike naysayers who like to slate the place) I can only concur that there are some really lovely parts! Congrats on persevering and overcoming so many obstacles, both of you! Clearly you are most excellent examples of what true expats are about! Perseverance, dedication and enjoying whatever life throws at you - onward and upwards! :D Go Hammers! :D Steel City Grit :D

Hope you will continue to be very happy in this part of the world! :D

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...71f5bece25.jpg

OrangeMango Aug 5th 2021 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13034611)
Having lived in Hamilton for over 20 years (unlike naysayers who like to slate the place) I can only concur that there are some really lovely parts! Congrats on persevering and overcoming so many obstacles, both of you! Clearly you are most excellent examples of what true expats are about! Perseverance, dedication and enjoying whatever life throws at you - onward and upwards! :D Go Hammers! :D Steel City Grit :D

Hope you will continue to be very happy in this part of the world! :D

I've honestly always associated Hamilton with drug use. At least that's what people were saying in Toronto. However things might have changed for the better.

I've never been to the city, but I liked the Canadian Warplane museum which I visited once and is close to Hamilton.

I've never been to Dundurn Castle which is most likely next on the list of places to visit.

BristolUK Aug 5th 2021 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13037562)
I've honestly always associated Hamilton with drug use. At least that's what people were saying in Toronto..

I consider Moncton to be a bit like Bedford Falls

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b512025492.gif

But I've heard people from other parts think of it as more like Sin City, Pottersville

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...871ea30d19.gif

:lol: