Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1 year canniversary...first of many we hope!

1 year canniversary...first of many we hope!

Old Nov 1st 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default 1 year canniversary...first of many we hope!

Well, it's about 4 days early, but we are celebrating our first year in Canada. It has just flown by and I can't quite believe that it was a year ago we were holding our leaving do, trying to cram our belongings into 4 suitcases and leaving Swindon far far behind.....

Even though time has gone quickly, in some ways it feels as though we've been here forever, and we seem to have achieved a great deal in the last 12 months. Neil has started his new career which has taken him out of the world of teaching, and into the world of real estate. He is loving the new challenges, and even though the hours are long and he's working nearly every day, he loves it.
The kids are happy and settled here now. Young Miss Snoops has her wobbly times still, as she still misses her UK friends a lot, and hasn't quite found the same strong bonds with her friends here yet. We're hoping that this will come in time, and she's a lot more settled than she was for the first 6 months here. Master Snoops is a different story completely....totally happy, loads of new friends that are 'waay' better than the old ones (his words) and loves everything about his new life here. Both of them relish their new found freedom, the opportunities for out of school clubs and the kind of life that they never had in the UK, as we had no time for these sorts of things, nor lived in an area that promoted the kind of outdoor lifestyle they enjoy now.

And me? I love working part time and having time to give to my family that I never had before, and the opportunities to pursue my own interests a little more too. I've taken up curling, and although I'm really bad at it, my team (who are really good) are so encouraging and positive with me....genuinely! I love Canadians for this... Coming from a nation of 'doom and gloom' merchants it is such a refreshing change to be amongst upbeat, positive and genuinely lovely new people, who look on the bright side of life. What can I say? It must be all the Alberta sunshine that works its magic on peoples psyche!

So, one year in and all is GOOD! There are very few negatives with our new life and we are so happy that we are finally living the kind of life we've dreamed of for so many years. Okay, all is not perfect yet, and we still have a long way to go to establish some areas of our lives (eg. finances etc) but we are here to stay....no going back....(except for very brief holidays)
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 8:31 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 year canniversary...first of many we hope!

Congratulations and so nice to read a positive post!

"I love Canadians for this... Coming from a nation of 'doom and gloom' merchants it is such a refreshing change to be amongst upbeat, positive and genuinely lovely new people, who look on the bright side of life. What can I say? It must be all the Alberta sunshine that works its magic on peoples psyche!"

I so agree with this statement, it really says it all for me!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pthom
Congratulations and so nice to read a positive post!

"I love Canadians for this... Coming from a nation of 'doom and gloom' merchants it is such a refreshing change to be amongst upbeat, positive and genuinely lovely new people, who look on the bright side of life. What can I say? It must be all the Alberta sunshine that works its magic on peoples psyche!"

I so agree with this statement, it really says it all for me!
I also agree with that statement! I rings even truer for us, we recently had some doom and gloom visitors from the UK.

Congrats on the first of many more good years to come!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Happy canniversary Snoopster.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Great post

It sounded so familiar....

Our daughter longs for a special friend, our son just loves everything canada and hubby has just started curling too hasn't got the hang of it yet...but he's loving trying. Me I am just waiting for the snow

Here's to many years of fun in Canada.

Linda
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopster
Well, it's about 4 days early, but we are celebrating our first year in Canada. It has just flown by and I can't quite believe that it was a year ago we were holding our leaving do, trying to cram our belongings into 4 suitcases and leaving Swindon far far behind.....

Even though time has gone quickly, in some ways it feels as though we've been here forever, and we seem to have achieved a great deal in the last 12 months. Neil has started his new career which has taken him out of the world of teaching, and into the world of real estate. He is loving the new challenges, and even though the hours are long and he's working nearly every day, he loves it.
The kids are happy and settled here now. Young Miss Snoops has her wobbly times still, as she still misses her UK friends a lot, and hasn't quite found the same strong bonds with her friends here yet. We're hoping that this will come in time, and she's a lot more settled than she was for the first 6 months here. Master Snoops is a different story completely....totally happy, loads of new friends that are 'waay' better than the old ones (his words) and loves everything about his new life here. Both of them relish their new found freedom, the opportunities for out of school clubs and the kind of life that they never had in the UK, as we had no time for these sorts of things, nor lived in an area that promoted the kind of outdoor lifestyle they enjoy now.

And me? I love working part time and having time to give to my family that I never had before, and the opportunities to pursue my own interests a little more too. I've taken up curling, and although I'm really bad at it, my team (who are really good) are so encouraging and positive with me....genuinely! I love Canadians for this... Coming from a nation of 'doom and gloom' merchants it is such a refreshing change to be amongst upbeat, positive and genuinely lovely new people, who look on the bright side of life. What can I say? It must be all the Alberta sunshine that works its magic on peoples psyche!

So, one year in and all is GOOD! There are very few negatives with our new life and we are so happy that we are finally living the kind of life we've dreamed of for so many years. Okay, all is not perfect yet, and we still have a long way to go to establish some areas of our lives (eg. finances etc) but we are here to stay....no going back....(except for very brief holidays)
Congratulations snoopster can't believe its a year, pleased to hear its going well, curling sounds good, esp the social side of it,

hope you are happy for many years to come
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Glad you're settling in well. I've been enjoying reading about your adventures on your blog and seeing your great pics.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your one year - sounds like it's going really well
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:35 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done on your first year
Great post
LB
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:16 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Canniversary congratulations, here's to many more.

Charlie
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

ah....thanks guys.......
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snoopster

Congratulations! Love your post! Hope the next year is even better
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:53 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Hey Snoopster

Happy Canniversary to you all, this month also meansMr Ross will have been here a whole year already as well.

Time flies when you are having fun.

Looking forward to seeing you at Vancouver 2010 in the curling team!

love

The Ross Family
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:30 pm
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

It's lovely to read stories of when it has worked out for people puts my mind at rest somewhat

Liberty
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Happy 1st Canniversary - and here's to many more