British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   1 year in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/1-year-canada-792676/)

leg89 Apr 2nd 2013 8:59 pm

1 year in Canada

"So, how long have you been in Canada?"

It felt like only yesterday I was replying 'A couple of weeks, I'm just finding my feet' with a big smile on my face. And today I get asked the same question and I stumble as I reply 'Oh, erm, a year'. It surprised me as the words tumbled out my mouth.

How time flies. I have had a rollarcoaster of a year. Moving to Canada for love and learning to love its quirks and calling it my new home. It's strange to think a whole year has gone by when really it just feels like yesterday that I arrived in Vancouver with my Canadian adventure ahead of me. It only feels like yesterday that i landed my first job, got the keys to our apartment, moved to Calgary and drank my millionth Tims.

And this is only the beginning. I am applying for my second IEC and then moving through the common-law process. This is really only the start.

Wow. Happy to be here, but I still miss home terribly. Does that ever stop?

ninaDGBCA Apr 7th 2013 8:01 pm

Re: 1 year in Canada

Congratulations on your first Canniversary! :D

It get's better. Over the years you miss less and less. The longer we are here the less we bring back from holidays abroad. We still miss family and friends but would by now equally miss friends we met here.

One of my friends said once. "your old friends and family will still be there but think about all the new amazing people out there that you haven't even met yet"

arniedog Apr 9th 2013 9:30 am

congrats on your 1st year, hope you have many more happy ones too :drinkwine::thumbsup:

TanieBird Apr 9th 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by leg89 (Post 10637172)
"So, how long have you been in Canada?"

It felt like only yesterday I was replying 'A couple of weeks, I'm just finding my feet' with a big smile on my face. And today I get asked the same question and I stumble as I reply 'Oh, erm, a year'. It surprised me as the words tumbled out my mouth.

How time flies. I have had a rollarcoaster of a year. Moving to Canada for love and learning to love its quirks and calling it my new home. It's strange to think a whole year has gone by when really it just feels like yesterday that I arrived in Vancouver with my Canadian adventure ahead of me. It only feels like yesterday that i landed my first job, got the keys to our apartment, moved to Calgary and drank my millionth Tims.

And this is only the beginning. I am applying for my second IEC and then moving through the common-law process. This is really only the start.

Wow. Happy to be here, but I still miss home terribly. Does that ever stop?

Congrats on the first year :D
Missing home does get easier and as you are in Calgary try stopping by Walmart and find their British section to stock up on some food comforts. Throw yourself into life here and treat this as home.
Best of luck for the next year and beyond.

Novocastrian Apr 10th 2013 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by leg89 (Post 10637172)
I have had a rollarcoaster of a year.

I've never heard it put so eloquently. :thumbup:

JamesM Apr 16th 2013 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10651747)
I've never heard it put so eloquently. :thumbup:

Yes people should use that turn of expression more often on here.