Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1 year and a bit..... loving life

1 year and a bit..... loving life

Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

garethnock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 year and a bit..... loving life

Just a quick note to say that Canadian life is awesome!!

Been so busy that I have not managed to get on here for the last year!!
We moved to the upper beech area of Toronto in July 2013 (after landing in April) We rent a nice house, 10 mins from the beech and 8 mins from the subway - got a new favorite addition to the family (our dog Esme) and everything has fallen into place. Don't get me wrong the have been hard days....weeks over the last year but the good out ways the bad, 10 min walks to the beech and a lifestyle that you only dream of in the UK!!

My best piece of advise is truly open your heart and mind to a new life and expect to deal with lots of change (for the better) and you will slide right into your new life in Canada!!

10 months till citizenship application!!

Good luck all
Old Jun 15th 2014, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Nelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really niceNelson1805 is just really nice
Default Re: 1 year and a bit..... loving life

Congrats on the Canadian life, I'm currently saving money for a move to Canada but cannot yet decide if I want Toronto or Vancouver. I guess I shall see what the job market is like over there this time next year!

I'm determined to make a go of getting myself out to Canada soon. Can but try!!
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethnock
Just a quick note to say that Canadian life is awesome!!

Been so busy that I have not managed to get on here for the last year!!
We moved to the upper beech area of Toronto in July 2013 (after landing in April) We rent a nice house, 10 mins from the beech and 8 mins from the subway - got a new favorite addition to the family (our dog Esme) and everything has fallen into place. Don't get me wrong the have been hard days....weeks over the last year but the good out ways the bad, 10 min walks to the beech and a lifestyle that you only dream of in the UK!!

My best piece of advise is truly open your heart and mind to a new life and expect to deal with lots of change (for the better) and you will slide right into your new life in Canada!!

10 months till citizenship application!!

Good luck all
Congrats!

How is it only 10 months until your citizenship app though, if you only arrived in 2013??
Old Jun 16th 2014, 7:26 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Congrats!

How is it only 10 months until your citizenship app though, if you only arrived in 2013??
Glad I wasn't the only one confused by that
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

garethnock is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats!

10 months as I came to TO in 2009/10 for a year on a WHV and to my surprize also this also counts towards my (1000 days??) That I have to work/live in the country before I can apply
Old Jun 16th 2014, 12:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethnock
10 months as I came to TO in 2009/10 for a year on a WHV and to my surprize also this also counts towards my (1000 days??) That I have to work/live in the country before I can apply
Ah, I did wonder as I saw your previous posts and saw you were in Canada in 2009. Sorry, but that time won't count - you can only count time spent in Canada in the 4 years preceding your application. So if for instance, you applied on 31st December 2014, you could only go back to 31st December 2010 and count time spent in Canada between those dates.

It's 1095 days by the way (or three years in simpler terms!). Although that's increasing to four years at some point, so you'll have to do 4 years out of the previous 6 before you're eligible, which should mean you can apply for citizenship in 2017.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 16th 2014 at 12:28 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I did wonder as I saw your previous posts and saw you were in Canada in 2009. Sorry, but that time won't count - you can only count time spent in Canada in the 4 years preceding your application. So if for instance, you applied on 31st December 2014, you could only go back to 31st December 2010 and count time spent in Canada between those dates.

It's 1095 days by the way (or three years in simpler terms!). Although that's increasing to four years at some point, so you'll have to do 4 years out of the previous 6 before you're eligible, which should mean you can apply for citizenship in 2017.

HTH.
It's only days spent in the Country too, isn't it? So you have to deduct days for holidays or business trips out of Canada?
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It's only days spent in the Country too, isn't it? So you have to deduct days for holidays or business trips out of Canada?
Indeed it is, so depending on how often the OP goes abroad, they may need to wait longer.