British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canniversary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/)
-   -   1 year in (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canniversary-103/1-year-875120/)

Shane08 Mar 30th 2016 11:08 pm

1 year in

So its been just over a year since we made the move to Edmonton from England and its been more up and down than we could of imagined.

The pros have been exploring the Rockies, getting do things that we would have never done had we stayed in the UK and having alot of place we waned to visit just a short flight away. Plus the health benefits and less hours at work means I am now injury free and able to spend alot more time with the family

The biggest negative though we underestimated how difficult it can be to meet new people out here surprisingly, luckily we came over with a few other families so we haven't been totally on our own but we haven't really branched out from that

For the most part were happy we made the move, but I'll admit now we were no where near prepared enough to start.

Shakyuk Mar 31st 2016 7:23 am

Re: 1 year in

Originally Posted by Shane08 (Post 11909642)
So its been just over a year since we made the move to Edmonton from England and its been more up and down than we could of imagined.

The pros have been exploring the Rockies, getting do things that we would have never done had we stayed in the UK and having alot of place we waned to visit just a short flight away. Plus the health benefits and less hours at work means I am now injury free and able to spend alot more time with the family

The biggest negative though we underestimated how difficult it can be to meet new people out here surprisingly, luckily we came over with a few other families so we haven't been totally on our own but we haven't really branched out from that

For the most part were happy we made the move, but I'll admit now we were no where near prepared enough to start.

Good to read and I'm glad for the most part you're enjoying it.
It's only been a year and I imagine it has been a whirlwind year starting a new life. I'm sure you'll make friends over time.
If not then wait a year and hopefully I'll be there and I can be your friend haha.

Lmjt Apr 2nd 2016 1:48 pm

Re: 1 year in

Originally Posted by Shane08 (Post 11909642)

If you were to start again now with knowing what you learnt from being there for 1 year, what would you do to be more prepared?