Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Canniversary
Reload this Page >

1 Down Hopefully Loads to Go!!!!!!!!

1 Down Hopefully Loads to Go!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice
Default Re: 1 Down Hopefully Loads to Go!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

Hi Gaynor,

Ohhh are you sure you can't study on an OWP? because I have got open WP and I'm planning to study as an apprentice plumber, you have me worried now me dear, no one has mentioned this to me so far, will have to check it out

Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers,
Carl
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

TheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura aboutTheGrizzlyHattons has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by drumhellerbound
Well done! and thanks for sharing your story, must admit the more I read this forum, the more I am sooo glad I found this site, it's providing me with invaluable insights into the expats' trials and tribulations in Canada!

You mention that "open" work permit are not as open as they sound, can you elaborate on this please? That's the kind of work permit I'd be coming with so interested to hear more about it if you wouldn't mind!
Hi Drumhellerbound. Yes as Burton Bunch says if you want to work with vulnerable groups i.e with children or in healthcare you have a medical and police check done for them to issue SOWP with ability to work in these areas.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:08 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi all,

Hi Gaynor,

Ohhh are you sure you can't study on an OWP? because I have got open WP and I'm planning to study as an apprentice plumber, you have me worried now me dear, no one has mentioned this to me so far, will have to check it out

Cheers,
Carl
carl

that maybe different, but defo worth checking out
i also know that if you are on a open permit like most of the wife's are on or partners we cant work in food either :curse:
so no job at timmies for me for the time being
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi Gaynor,

Cheers,
Carl
Hi hun

I know that my OWP states that I am not allowed to study in an educational facility - so I think that is how the "trades" actually get around this as you study in your own time and through work. If you were wanting to go to college to re train as a social worker say then you would not be able to do so because of restrictions which are put on your OWP.

With your OH being an ECE did you both have to sit meds or just your OH ? If you had a med done for your OH's TWP then you would not have the restriction I have mentioned on your own OWP.

Dont worry Carl - plenty of "tradesmen" have to come over and do the Red Seal without the restriction being a problem.

Moon devil - that is strange ? I know people who have been on a OWP and worked with food. I even got offered a job on a OWP in the hospitality industry. But of course it iw worth checking out me dear.

Hope that you are both well.

Gaynor
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:33 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

i got told of someone that i couldn't work in food as its a twp....

But as im not applying for jobs then i don't know, if i ever get to the point of applying then i'll re-post

i did get an email from save-on foods asking if i wanted a job on the deli.......
although i haven't bothered to take it further, but i do know ones that are working at real canadian

so not sure if it is just serving food, will ask next time i speak to them......

Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:34 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Hi Gaynor,

Cheers,
Carl
If your course of study is less than 6 months long, then you don't need one. To get a SP it must be a school recognised on the list on the website - i.e Not Bill and Bens plumbing. You can study distance like Gay said, just not at an institution without a SP.

As for WP not being able to work in the food industry, I am aware that Alberta has become hot on communicable diseases such as Hep, which can be passed on through people working in the food industry. HOWEVER as yet, there has been nothing done to my knowledge regarding the food industry being regulated for TWP, and definitely people work in food with TWPs......without specific medicals having been done. I can understand switched on employers saying No, after the outbreak of Hep that was in Calgary through food service workers, but as yet am totally unaware of restrictions laid down by the goverment.....hence why Brooks is full of TWP holders in meat plants.

All the best
Mrs M.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
If your course of study is less than 6 months long, then you don't need one. To get a SP it must be a school recognised on the list on the website - i.e Not Bill and Bens plumbing. You can study distance like Gay said, just not at an institution without a SP.

As for WP not being able to work in the food industry, I am aware that Alberta has become hot on communicable diseases such as Hep, which can be passed on through people working in the food industry. HOWEVER as yet, there has been nothing done to my knowledge regarding the food industry being regulated for TWP, and definitely people work in food with TWPs......without specific medicals having been done. I can understand switched on employers saying No, after the outbreak of Hep that was in Calgary through food service workers, but as yet am totally unaware of restrictions laid down by the goverment.....hence why Brooks is full of TWP holders in meat plants.

All the best
Mrs M.
As you may or not know my OH works in the food industry and never needed a medical for the job or any kind of cleance for it.
i put this to the test earlier at an outlet not far from me and i was advised that until i had PR i was unable to work as a server........
so the answer as the OP says is correct, she has struggled getting into employment even with what we class as a open work permit

Where hubby is in skilled trades and works in the food industry, never had a problem, o and hes never worked in the food industry in the uk either

For gibb's i would contact trade and industry and make sure your OH can do this, that way you would get it straight from the horses mouth, i know guys who have come over as electricians who are doing it, but if you get the info from them, you pass it onto employers

good luck
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
i put this to the test earlier at an outlet not far from me and i was advised that until i had PR i was unable to work as a server........

good luck
Well that is really funny MD - the company who offered me the job knew I was on a SOWP and were willing to take me on

One thing that I do know about alot of employers etc is that they are really clueless about the immigration process and last year before you arrived HRDSC did a huge run of courses for employers explaining the immigration process and LMO's etc.

This part goes hand in hand with a lot of the "fast food" joint in Canada as they are all franchised out and as you are not dealing with a large company then I think that the franchisee's are not quite as well informed as the larger companies ie Whitbread plc in the UK as opposed to Joe Bloggs who owns a couple of Timmies

Strange but very true

Gaynor
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:51 pm

Very true.....some of the smaller companys that employer servers do not know the current rules, but as i am not bothered about the job, then i wouldnt take it further.

hubbys company is local, but not big and he gets on fine.

i think it will depend who you talk to and the job that you apply for, this was a server job, so unsure if its the same for all the roles in food.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:45 pm

At no point did I say that the guys and girls working in the food industry needed medical clearance, I actually implied quite the opposite. I was responding to your point about you not getting a job in Timmies just yet......

The point I was making was, there is no government legistlation in place, thus the WP does not specify that people can't work in food, however, individual and conscientious employers are very aware of the likelyhood of litigation if they are found with employees infecting the poor buggers they serve with Hep.

I actually specified that I can understand why swtiched on employers say no, especially after sitting through government run training on commuincable diseases and blood borne pathogens for the afternoon yesterday. After hearing government health professionals speaking, it would appear that the restrictions on food handling will eventually, one day, post labor shortage be quite stringent if they are to address public health concerns.

Mrs M
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
At no point did I say that the guys and girls working in the food industry needed medical clearance, I actually implied quite the opposite. I was responding to your point about you not getting a job in Timmies just yet......

The point I was making was, there is no government legistlation in place, thus the WP does not specify that people can't work in food, however, individual and conscientious employers are very aware of the likelyhood of litigation if they are found with employees infecting the poor buggers they serve with Hep.

I actually specified that I can understand why swtiched on employers say no, especially after sitting through government run training on commuincable diseases and blood borne pathogens for the afternoon yesterday. After hearing government health professionals speaking, it would appear that the restrictions on food handling will eventually, one day, post labor shortage be quite stringent if they are to address public health concerns.

Mrs M
Mrs Miggins...not sure on what wp you are looking at, but our open ones do state this, plus we are not allowed to work on farms as well....not like i'd work on one anyway.
But as a test i did apply as a server, to be told my work permit would not allow me to do this, looks like work permits have changed lately, the OP has this on her work permit and i know that she would show you, just like i would, but not willing to do a copy of it on a open forum.
the work permits also state that 1. unless authorized, prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course.
3. not authorised to work in 1..childcare
2.. primary or secondry school teaching
3. health services etc etc etc

and the last time i looked he would need to get authorized with the AAIT to be allowed into do this as it is vocational training

gibb's if you need a contact at the AAIT i am sure that the lady that dealt with us and a few others will be able to help
but please get the info from the AAIT as permits change from month to month, as mine shows different to rainey69 and she came in 8mths before us

now back to you rainey69...soz for high jacking ur post love
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:35 pm

Rainey69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 1 Down Hopefully Loads to Go!!!!!!!!

Tis okay hun, no problem, my work permit also states that i am not allowed to work in agriculture......or in any of its field occupations!!!!!! Which includes the food market........not that i am bovvered, i will just hang out for a job that is worthy of me!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:53 pm

May take a while rainey69?

Ahh, I see Moondevil, so in fact they must have changed recently.........

Like you say permits have definitely changed recently, as Gaynor said hers didn't have that proviso either, and neither did Mr Miggins.........it's good to know that they are being more pro-active though about who they allow to work and where, for everyones sake.

I love to learn about the changes that happen and will make sure to pass that on the girls at work on Friday, as I know they find it hard to know what's going on too. Interesting statistic I heard, was in Alberta there are 38000 temporary employees!

Glad to be a PR at last, so my head doesn't have to retain all that information anymore lol! Right best get off instead of wasting me life away on here.....

Thanks for the info ladies!
Mrs M x
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rainey69
Tis okay hun, no problem, my work permit also states that i am not allowed to work in agriculture......or in any of its field occupations!!!!!! Which includes the food market........not that i am bovvered, i will just hang out for a job that is worthy of me!!!!
Thats exactly as i thought, im not wasting my time in the class room re-training when i can do the job i love in 8mths when we get them pr's
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:15 am

Education is never a waste - by the way I am not retraining, I'll be graduating this summer as an addictions counselor, I am currently a qualified teacher...............big difference between the two

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.