Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

Old May 29th 2005, 1:43 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ZoomFly or CanadianAffair airlines?

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Sounds like a pretty good deal. You may also want to check out www.autoeurope.com inn future as well. They were far far chepaer for our Calgary hire last year and next week. They work work the majors such as Thrifty, etc. When the guys at the desk in Calgary saw how much we had paid they had to do a double take

As an example we are paying £190 for 8 days hire of a compact (But they never have one so should get a free upgrade ). This includes all the extra insurances and airport pickup taxes.
Just tried autoeurope. Prices for a people carrier / mini van was

Pontiac Montana with ac
Automatic
Mini (MVAR)
3 Doors, A/C
USD 1,472.00 Basic
USD 1,658.00 Inclusive

Still cannot beat thrifty as I have the all inclusive deal.

Eddie
Old May 29th 2005, 2:32 pm
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

On the subject of airlines, those travelling from canada to the UK, might want to checkout the website below, they have some of the best prices. We used them last year, and am hoping to get home again during this summer with them on one of the cheapest airlines.

www.itravel2000.com
Old May 29th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bombards,

We have just arrived in Canada and used zoom Halifax. Apart from a small delay at Gatwick the Zoom experience was ok. We upgraded and this gave leather seats with a 36 inch pitch, free drinks, free headphones although the tv screens were faulty in the premium cabin. You certainly dont get the same level of service and attention that you could generally expect from the larger airlines but they were efficient and we could'nt complain about the price.
I am six feet 5 inches and could fit easily into the seats although found the width a little restricting. For £50 each way would certainly recommend the upgrade.

Originally Posted by bombards
I have been checking out the fares for Zoom and they are soooo much cheaper than Air Canada.( Who incidentally lost our baggage in MARCH 05 and we were flying bussiness/first!)

Would be interested to know whether the upgrade is worth it re: leg room?

Hate being ripped off by airlines, so will go budget from now on!

Bombards
Old May 30th 2005, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Hi Bombards,

We have just arrived in Canada and used zoom Halifax. Apart from a small delay at Gatwick the Zoom experience was ok. We upgraded and this gave leather seats with a 36 inch pitch, free drinks, free headphones although the tv screens were faulty in the premium cabin. You certainly dont get the same level of service and attention that you could generally expect from the larger airlines but they were efficient and we could'nt complain about the price.
I am six feet 5 inches and could fit easily into the seats although found the width a little restricting. For £50 each way would certainly recommend the upgrade.
We have just returned from a trip to Toronto with Canadian Affair and were not impressed. Our flight was changed from morning to evening with 1 week notice and then when we arrived at the airport they had changed it from a direct flight to having a stop in Ottowa.. We had to pay for headphones and drinks which would have been fine if we had been warned. There were no tv's on the seats they were in the central aisle, causing my 6 year old to moan constantly as he couldn't see The Incredibles!

There was definitely alot of leg room though and our pre booked seats were allocated without a problem. Food was good too, but no coke or diet coke on board only pepsi max..

We will not be flying with them again.

Angela
Old May 30th 2005, 11:38 am
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

Which of the Canadian affair airlines was this, if you don't mind us asking? As they have a couple, that include Thomas Cook, Mytravel, and others. Mytravel seems decent when we flew them, a tv set at the back of the seat in front of you, and it was one of those touch screen ones.

That aside, how was your trip to Toronto, did you have a nice time there, and did you venture out of Toronto? The weather has been fairly nice, with a bit of thunder storm here and there.

Originally Posted by achak
We have just returned from a trip to Toronto with Canadian Affair and were not impressed. Our flight was changed from morning to evening with 1 week notice and then when we arrived at the airport they had changed it from a direct flight to having a stop in Ottowa.. We had to pay for headphones and drinks which would have been fine if we had been warned. There were no tv's on the seats they were in the central aisle, causing my 6 year old to moan constantly as he couldn't see The Incredibles!

There was definitely alot of leg room though and our pre booked seats were allocated without a problem. Food was good too, but no coke or diet coke on board only pepsi max..

We will not be flying with them again.

Angela
Old May 30th 2005, 1:40 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My 83 year old mum is coming to visit me in the summer. When she went look for cheap flights to Ottawa, the travel agent more or less refused to even consider putting her on a charter. I believe the phrase used was "No dear, it's really not for you".

I don't think they were pulling a fast one on a vulnerable old lady. The AC ticket they got her is pretty reasonable and the flight times are humane.
Old May 30th 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Just tried autoeurope. Prices for a people carrier / mini van was

Pontiac Montana with ac
Automatic
Mini (MVAR)
3 Doors, A/C
USD 1,472.00 Basic
USD 1,658.00 Inclusive

Still cannot beat thrifty as I have the all inclusive deal.

Eddie

Hi

Have you tried www.wheelsabroad.com (sorry don't know how to put a link in)
I looked at thrifty from your link and I think Wheels abroad were still better.
Spouse is included with no extra charge as second driver, and if you want to go into the US that is included at no extra. Also unlimited miles.

It's worth a look.

Pennyhp
Old May 31st 2005, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

achak is an unknown quantity at this point

It was on a Tomas Cook airbus. Maybe I will try Mytravel next time.

Toronto was fantastic, it was our first time and we were impressed. We scouted around for some decent places to live, Kitchener (we didn't really like it) and Brampton (much nicer). The weather was pretty good too, I even got sunburned.

Angela

Originally Posted by pollard
Which of the Canadian affair airlines was this, if you don't mind us asking? As they have a couple, that include Thomas Cook, Mytravel, and others. Mytravel seems decent when we flew them, a tv set at the back of the seat in front of you, and it was one of those touch screen ones.

That aside, how was your trip to Toronto, did you have a nice time there, and did you venture out of Toronto? The weather has been fairly nice, with a bit of thunder storm here and there.
Old May 31st 2005, 9:08 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
Hi

Have you tried www.wheelsabroad.com (sorry don't know how to put a link in)
I looked at thrifty from your link and I think Wheels abroad were still better.
Spouse is included with no extra charge as second driver, and if you want to go into the US that is included at no extra. Also unlimited miles.

It's worth a look.

Pennyhp
Pennyhp

Tried wheels abroad, SORRY STILL MORE EXPENSIVE, SEE PRICE BELOW

Chosen Vehicle: Full-size, Mini-van/MPV, Automatic, A/C - Dodge Grand Caravan or similar
Total Charges: Total Rental cost for 21 days is CAD 1,638.00
Pre-payment with booking is CAD 378.00
Balance Due to rental agency is CAD 1,260.00
How much is that in ? GBP 707.12

Eddie
Old May 31st 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Pennyhp

Tried wheels abroad, SORRY STILL MORE EXPENSIVE, SEE PRICE BELOW

Chosen Vehicle: Full-size, Mini-van/MPV, Automatic, A/C - Dodge Grand Caravan or similar
Total Charges: Total Rental cost for 21 days is CAD 1,638.00
Pre-payment with booking is CAD 378.00
Balance Due to rental agency is CAD 1,260.00
How much is that in ? GBP 707.12

Eddie
I don't get it
I must be doing some thing wrong or perhaps it's different locations (we are going to NB hiring car from Halifax airport).

Thrifty standard 4x4 £572 17 days.
Wheels abroad standard 4x4 £485.47 17 days.
Both with CWD.
Do thrifty count spouse in price or would I have to pay extra for hubby to drive too?

Anyway I have time to research further as we don't know when (or even if) they will invite us for interview yet.

Pennyhp
Old Jun 1st 2005, 9:54 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Originally Posted by pennyhp
I don't get it
I must be doing some thing wrong or perhaps it's different locations (we are going to NB hiring car from Halifax airport).

Thrifty standard 4x4 £572 17 days.
Wheels abroad standard 4x4 £485.47 17 days.
Both with CWD.
Do thrifty count spouse in price or would I have to pay extra for hubby to drive too?

Anyway I have time to research further as we don't know when (or even if) they will invite us for interview yet.

Pennyhp
Penny

We are going to Toronto, Pearson Intl

Thrifty do not include the wife, this will cost approx $5 per day to include her on the insurnace.
It does include all local taxes and CDW, which I believe is compulsary before you drive a hire car.

Ach well you win some and you lose some.

Eddie