Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom have cancelled Christmas Eve flight

Zoom have cancelled Christmas Eve flight

Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

scollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the roughscollis is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Zoom have cancelled Christmas Eve flight

The title says it all... our son had booked two seats so that we could be together for our first Christmas in Canada.

Anyone had any experience of this happening and a way of getting more than money back as this will not pay the £400 difference for an Air Canada flight.

Zoom have said that they are not going to be running the flight which was booked and paid for about 4 weeks ago. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks, and others may be getting notification so beware.

Sonia
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:43 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom have cancelled Christmas Eve flight

How disappointing for you.

At least you had plenty of notice.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't he come on the 23rd or whenever the closest flight is?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scollis
The title says it all... our son had booked two seats so that we could be together for our first Christmas in Canada.

Anyone had any experience of this happening and a way of getting more than money back as this will not pay the £400 difference for an Air Canada flight.

Zoom have said that they are not going to be running the flight which was booked and paid for about 4 weeks ago. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks, and others may be getting notification so beware.

Sonia
Don't know where you're flying from/to, but check Canadian Affair and keep checking back to read their updates. They chartered quite a few extra planes leaving UK late December, arriving back UK very early Jan to get people on their preferred side of the Atlantic for the holidays. No idea about cost as they were sold out when I made enquiries a few years back.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

acollis is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the "son" here - Zoom have cancelled all their winter flights to Halifax, citing lack of bookings as the reason. They've offered either:

1. an alternative flight to Toronto
2. a full refund + £99 Zoom voucher for our next flight with them

What they fail to realise is that when I booked the flights with them, AC were just £50 more expensive than Zoom (but we still went for the cheap option, because saving £100 is £100 towards Xmas!), but now AC are over £200/each more expensive; so because Zoom happily took the money, "confirmed" the booking, then cancelled it, we're going to be £400 out of pocket if we now re-book with AC.

Does anyone have any experience of fighting the airlines for cancellations such as this? After all, if I cancelled, they would keep 50% of my ticket price and then re-sell the seat to someone else. But if they cancel then they effectively don't lose out at all.

Ade
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acollis
It's the "son" here - Zoom have cancelled all their winter flights to Halifax, citing lack of bookings as the reason. They've offered either:

1. an alternative flight to Toronto
2. a full refund + £99 Zoom voucher for our next flight with them

What they fail to realise is that when I booked the flights with them, AC were just £50 more expensive than Zoom (but we still went for the cheap option, because saving £100 is £100 towards Xmas!), but now AC are over £200/each more expensive; so because Zoom happily took the money, "confirmed" the booking, then cancelled it, we're going to be £400 out of pocket if we now re-book with AC.

Does anyone have any experience of fighting the airlines for cancellations such as this? After all, if I cancelled, they would keep 50% of my ticket price and then re-sell the seat to someone else. But if they cancel then they effectively don't lose out at all.

Ade

I would suggest posting your query at flyertalk.

Good luck
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

I think because they have offered you alternatives that's all they have to do - sorry about that.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

I think you're right, but can't see how that is "fair". Toronto is hardly a suitable alternative to Halifax, and a full refund sdoesn't go anywhere towards the extra £400 that I would now need to find.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acollis
I think you're right, but can't see how that is "fair". Toronto is hardly a suitable alternative to Halifax, and a full refund sdoesn't go anywhere towards the extra £400 that I would now need to find.
I haven't read it myself but I'd guess that if you were to read the small print in your dealings with Zoom that they have made sure that they are limited in any kind of recompense required in the case of them cancelling a flight. I've no experience of this kind of problem but if I was in your position I would write a decent, civil letter explaining the hardship that this has caused and is there any way that Zoom can help out? If there's no legal route then just asking could be worth a try. You just never know.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Wayne270 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried Air Transat? Their website only goes up to October at the moment but they have a phone number and under £100 each way has got to be hard to beat. (And no I don't work for them ).
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

jonjws is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scollis

Sonia
try ba they fly to calgary from december 1st 2006

john in copperfield
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjws
try ba they fly to calgary from december 1st 2006

john in copperfield

......but he wants to fly to Halifax!
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
......but he wants to fly to Halifax!
What's wrong with taking the flight to Toronto and buying tickets from Toronto to Halifax? That might be cheaper than buying AC tickets across the Atlantic.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
What's wrong with taking the flight to Toronto and buying tickets from Toronto to Halifax? That might be cheaper than buying AC tickets across the Atlantic.

We flew to Halifax from Toronto last July and it really was not dear at all. We flew with Canjet. Check out their website at www.canjet.com.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I briefly looked at this yesterday and was looking at approx £200pp for the flight from Toronto to Halifax. SO not much of a saving...

"Best" we've found so far is to go:

London - Paris
Paris - Toronto
Toronto - Halifax

for £563pp, which is still £160pp more than we originally paid for Zoom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.