Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom Embargo on Snub Nosed Dogs

Zoom Embargo on Snub Nosed Dogs

Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom Embargo on Snub Nosed Dogs

Originally Posted by ladymoose
Thanks Jersygirl
However the breed is prone to heart problems therefore I would recommend a thorough heart check before transporting your dog on a plane. A family flying back from Oz recently found their Cav dead on arrival in Manchester...PM showed it was caused by heart failure. Of course the flight time is much much longer from Oz.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:09 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Cavs are beautiful animals, but they are prone to a variety of problems, so we stayed with Yorkies.

More personality than most, independant, 7 pounds of fighting fury.

Dog doesn't like winter so I am buying him a Florida Condo.

We drive down.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Cavs are beautiful animals, but they are prone to a variety of problems, so we stayed with Yorkies.

More personality than most, independant, 7 pounds of fighting fury.

Dog doesn't like winter so I am buying him a Florida Condo.

We drive down.
I love Yorkies...grew up with them. Fiesty little creatures and they don't shed.

I've had 5 Cavs...4 when we lived in England. 1 died of an accident, 1 of heart failure age 6 yrs and two who lived to be 15 yrs. The one I have at the moment is 9 yrs old.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, What airlnes do take Boxers
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
OK, What airlnes do take Boxers
Don't know off hand...first of all what airlines fly to your destination?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't know off hand...first of all what airlines fly to your destination?

Air Canada, British Airways, Fly Globespan, Thomas Cook and Zoom.

Martinair but you have to fly from Amsterdam.

Starting April 2008 Lufthansa.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Just had a quick look at Air Canada and BA websites...can't see a list of breeds not able to travel. There are other restrictions ie weight, Air Canada do not transport animals in the winter months or any time the temp drops below freezing. Boxerdog03 I suggest you contact the airline/s you are considering travelling with and find out exactly what restrictions apply.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

However the breed is prone to heart problems therefore I would recommend a thorough heart check before transporting your dog on a plane. A family flying back from Oz recently found their Cav dead on arrival in Manchester...PM showed it was caused by heart failure. Of course the flight time is much much longer from Oz.
Hi - just seen this - sorry - we don't have a Cav at the moment but are thinking of getting one for our son next year. He's been waiting since he was 5 for his own dog. We told him he could have one when he was 10 and so would be old enough for walking, grooming, feeding, poo-picking up etc.

I've always had a Cavalier in mind for him - cos he's a real softie and even though he wants a fun dog, he also wants one to cuddle and sleep on the end of his bed at night (ummmm!). He's 9 in May and a very responsible and loving child, so we think he's actually old enough now. As a surprise we were thinking of getting one for then. They have kids training classes for puppies in Stony as well so that would be good for them both to attend.

We have relatives in Ireland who know a few reputable breeders and suggested that they bring a puppy over with them the next time they visit - there's not that many breeders here (AB). Which is why I was interested in this thread.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi - just seen this - sorry - we don't have a Cav at the moment but are thinking of getting one for our son next year. He's been waiting since he was 5 for his own dog. We told him he could have one when he was 10 and so would be old enough for walking, grooming, feeding, poo-picking up etc.

I've always had a Cavalier in mind for him - cos he's a real softie and even though he wants a fun dog, he also wants one to cuddle and sleep on the end of his bed at night (ummmm!). He's 9 in May and a very responsible and loving child, so we think he's actually old enough now. As a surprise we were thinking of getting one for then. They have kids training classes for puppies in Stony as well so that would be good for them both to attend.

We have relatives in Ireland who know a few reputable breeders and suggested that they bring a puppy over with them the next time they visit - there's not that many breeders here (AB). Which is why I was interested in this thread.
Cavs are lovely little dogs...very friendly and they are great with children. None of mine have every been nasty....they've not had a growl in them. They tend not to be yappy dogs. They are extremely loyal and only want to be by your side. My favourite is the black and tan...this is my second B&T.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Sounds good - exactly what we want for him
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Thanks Steve

Just had a quick look at Air Canada and BA websites...can't see a list of breeds not able to travel. There are other restrictions ie weight, Air Canada do not transport animals in the winter months or any time the temp drops below freezing. Boxerdog03 I suggest you contact the airline/s you are considering travelling with and find out exactly what restrictions apply.
Looks like we are gonna have to do some ringing around, either that or buy a dingy and paddle across

</IMG>
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people in Regina - they belong to the kennel club and I am a member too. They breed registered Cavaliers. I am not sure if they have a litter at the moment or when they are planning one. If you were interested I could ask them because it would sure be cheaper than getting one from another country. You could probably drive down here in the spring and pick one out yourself.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Liz - it's a decision we'll be making for definite after Christmas so I'll PM you then if hubby gives approval to proceed! Do you know roughly how much a pup would cost - figures here are between $1200-1500 depending on sex and colour I think - I guess it would be similar in Sask? Cheers
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Liz - it's a decision we'll be making for definite after Christmas so I'll PM you then if hubby gives approval to proceed! Do you know roughly how much a pup would cost - figures here are between $1200-1500 depending on sex and colour I think - I guess it would be similar in Sask? Cheers
If I can help at all with any questions about Cavs drop me a line.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Would a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel be classified as "snub-nosed" does anyone know?
Hi Ladymoose,

I'd guess you'd be ok with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from the 'nose' point of view - a King Charles Spaniel would be classed as 'snub-nosed'.

My late Grandmother was a great fan of Cavs, she had 7 over time - they make great companions.

Hope that's of help,

Arris.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Arris; Nov 30th 2007 at 8:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.