Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Zoom ceases operation 1800 today.

Zoom ceases operation 1800 today.

Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:32 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Zoom ceases operation 1800 today.

I do feel for all those affected by this event.

A terrible blow to some, or at least a horrible inconvenience and worry!

I'm not surprised though that Zoom collapsed in today's climate; they operated at minimal profit margins, and spread themselves far too thin!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

littlsm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Go for a return and just chuck the return portion away - should bring down the price considerably.
Good point. Brings it down to a £1000
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter and her partner were bringing my mum over at the end of September. I had a buy one get one free flight voucher that I had used for them so the flights had only cost me just over 800GBP. Looks like I will be paying nearly double that now to get alternative flights.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Insult to injury there's an advert on this thread for zoom. Heart goes out to everyone with zoom tickets. I'm back home to the uk in october the wife suggested zoom glad i went for AC there dates just suited better.

Dave
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:25 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Bloody robbing B*****ds
Just bought tickets to vancouver 27/12

They shouldnt be allowed to trade if they know this is going to happen. Im so MAD :curse:
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:34 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
Bloody robbing B*****ds
Just bought tickets to vancouver 27/12

They shouldnt be allowed to trade if they know this is going to happen. Im so MAD :curse:
Not defending them in any way but they didn't know it was going to happen.

Yes they were in debt, yes they owed a lot of people a lot of money but they were negotiating more financing.

It was a refueller in Calgary yesterday that started the whole domino effect that culminated in them being forced out of business today.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

We've lost £1,000, paid with debit card so no protection and the insurance does not cover bankruptcy! However, we found alternative flights for the same dates at £1,300 with dialaflight who were very sympathetic and friendly. (flying with air Canada). actually better seats, meals etc....just a pity I can't get a refund.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:57 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

I was just talking to my parents about me booking a flight over to the UK in Late Feb/Early March for my best friends wedding.
Decided to check the Zoom website although was a bit worried about booking with them as they have cancelled a lot of flights this year and when hubby flew back in July there was talk of them being in financial trouble. Not really surprised to see they have stopped operating.
Trying to check the other carriers websites, but they keep timing out, guess lots of people looking for alternatives at the mo!
So sorry for those of you who are effect by this. I hope you can get money back and arrange alternate flights.

Last edited by Steve&Tanya; Aug 28th 2008 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skyturner
We've lost £1,000, paid with debit card so no protection and the insurance does not cover bankruptcy! However, we found alternative flights for the same dates at £1,300 with dialaflight who were very sympathetic and friendly. (flying with air Canada). actually better seats, meals etc....just a pity I can't get a refund.
ditto, I paid by debit card for flights for our teenage kids, 1800 pounds, just rebooked with air canada for next Thursday, another 2000 pounds, plus getting 3 flights back from Glasgow to Manchester arrange transport from Manchester to Burnley, approx $40 dollars in phone calls, more time off work, then the stress factor.
Boy have I got a headache
I'm going to try and get something back, but don't hold out much hope.

Rosie
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not defending them in any way but they didn't know it was going to happen.

Yes they were in debt, yes they owed a lot of people a lot of money but they were negotiating more financing.

It was a refueller in Calgary yesterday that started the whole domino effect that culminated in them being forced out of business today.

Weve been caught twice by companies trading right up to the second they are declared closed, its not uncommon at all.

One was an airline. It took 6 months to finally get all the money back, we paid by credit card to a travel agent, they told us no hope of getting money back, that was actually rubbish, it took 6 months and I wouldnt let it drop it was about $6000 if I remember correctly the credit card VISA tracked it back and the travel agent had to refund some too.

Travel insurance sometimes covers collapse, this was an option on our last trip OS, we took that policy but it was more expensive of course.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Weve been caught twice by companies trading right up to the second they are declared closed, its not uncommon at all.

One was an airline. It took 6 months to finally get all the money back, we paid by credit card to a travel agent, they told us no hope of getting money back, that was actually rubbish, it took 6 months and I wouldnt let it drop it was about $6000 if I remember correctly the credit card VISA tracked it back and the travel agent had to refund some too.

Travel insurance sometimes covers collapse, this was an option on our last trip OS, we took that policy but it was more expensive of course.
This is the 3rd time we have tried to get to Canada this year,
we are booked for NS 18th oct with Zoom, maybe its a sign

Sorry for all those stranded and those people not going to see loved ones,
at least ours was only a recci, wonder what happens about everything else people have booked and paid deposits for etc ?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:56 am
Account Closed

saskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura aboutsaskia65 has a spectacular aura about

Saw the news. What a bugger. All the low cost airlines seem to be struggling.......thoughts with everyone affected.

Sas x
Old Aug 29th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice
Angry Re: Zoom ceases operation 1800 today.

Shocking news and more fallout is that Air Transat have taken advantage by putting up their fares to similar routes by 32% in the space of a couple of days. And if that wasn't emough for them...their share price has rocketted by 17% since the Zoom news. Where are the fair trading people now? Talk about ripping off the customer. Thanks a lot Air Transat :curse:

I'd like to add my sympathies to all those that have booked with Zoom and hope that you recover your losses.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshmountie
Shocking news and more fallout is that Air Transat have taken advantage by putting up their fares to similar routes by 32% in the space of a couple of days. And if that wasn't emough for them...their share price has rocketted by 17% since the Zoom news. Where are the fair trading people now? Talk about ripping off the customer. Thanks a lot Air Transat :curse:

I'd like to add my sympathies to all those that have booked with Zoom and hope that you recover your losses.
Thats really mean unless they genuinely have to put up there prices because of fuel ?

Not sure what we will do maybe go to Florida instead
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Thats really mean unless they genuinely have to put up there prices because of fuel ?

Not sure what we will do maybe go to Florida instead
Too much of a coincidence for it not to be mean I'm afraid. We've been monitoring prices to Fredericton and Halifax almost daily and Air Transat/Canadian Affair went up £400 overnight for two adults and two children. It's obviously a money spinning racket for them as they were able to sell seats well enough before the Zoom "crash" at their standard price so why the sudden need to jack up the prices by an incredible 30%+. Fuel prices didn't rise that much over night if any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.