Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

Old May 21st 2009, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: you're not canadian, so don't ask for work!

OMG!!!!!!!!!

I'm in shock....

I work in recruitment and we're very heavily audited for our recruitment practices....

It is ILLEGAL to ask your nationality / citizenship when seeking an employee, and I assume the same with even asking for opportunities. Just as it's illegal to discriminate on any other grounds such as sex / religion / marital status etc.

You eventually have to be able to proove you're legally able to work in Canada but never have to disclose your nationality.

I have more people working for me temporarily that are on visa's here than are Canadian.....!

I would definately go back, speak to the Manager, and as every coffee shop in Vancouver is part of a chain, take the name of said manager and report them to their HO. If not for your satisfaction, but for the benifit of anyone else who may have the unlucky response from the cashier again....

Sorry this has happened, and I really can't believe it - esp as I'm in the recruiting business. Things here are SO much stricter on discrimination here than I was ever exposed to in the UK doing the same job......

Hope you have better experiences in the future...

B xxxx
Old May 21st 2009, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
It is ILLEGAL to ask your nationality / citizenship when seeking an employee, and I assume the same with even asking for opportunities. Just as it's illegal to discriminate on any other grounds such as sex / religion / marital status etc.

I would definately go back, speak to the Manager, and as every coffee shop in Vancouver is part of a chain, take the name of said manager and report them to their HO.
But they were not looking for a new employee. The OP merely asked if they were hiring (therefore instigating the enquiry/conversation) and the girl's comments, whilst inappropriate, could not at this stage be deemed as breaking any employment laws (I would not think).

However, if there was a big notice up saying "Help Wanted", maybe then you would have the beginnings of grounds for something?
Old May 21st 2009, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
just had a horrible experience, so thought would pass onto you guys.......

have just been for a job interview, or two downtown......that's all good!!!!

on my way home from the ferry, i stopped at a coffee shop on lonsdale (northshore - can't recal name but will check again tomorrow and let you all know so that you can avoid it!!!!) and just casually asked this girl serving, who must have been all of 19/20 if they were hiring (asking for my kids).........was told:

'you're not from here, are you?' she asked.
'yes' i said, 'we just live up the road'.
'no, i mean you're not canadain, so don't ask for work here'! she said.
'oh! what difference does that make?', i asked.
'enough' she said.

needless to say, i, having paid for my coffee that i really wanted to walk away from (or throw over her) but wasn't going to........left.....

i live in a really multi-cultral area.....it's called vancouver!!!!!! this is the only time i have ever experienced this........ever!!!!! i'm still fummmmmmmmming

Hi

It couldn't have been a tim hortons

It depends what part of lonsdale, if you were up near the hsbc, I can understand it occurring.

but seriously my daughter just got a part time job, no prob's, born in devon..
cheers
Jerry
Old May 21st 2009, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pop a letter in the post to the manager copied to Global TV and CKNW (make sure that's noted on the copy the employer gets). Whether you bother with those two additional recipients or not it'll give the proprietor the willies. I'd probably have been speechless too, I always come up with smart things to say two hours after the event.

Old May 21st 2009, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
But they were not looking for a new employee. The OP merely asked if they were hiring (therefore instigating the enquiry/conversation) and the girl's comments, whilst inappropriate, could not at this stage be deemed as breaking any employment laws (I would not think).

However, if there was a big notice up saying "Help Wanted", maybe then you would have the beginnings of grounds for something?
I would take the stand that she's been discriminitory, therefore it being illegal. She positively asked the question after the enquiry, therefore it's directly in relation to a position of employment, regardless if there was a position or not......

Bx
Old May 21st 2009, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

I had a US customs officer question (in a rather rude manner) how I could be a Canadian citizen if I had an accent (it is now gone...the accent that is), but I had an english accent when I got my Canadian citizenship...this was in rural NY state and I think the officer was from the deep south.

Since I wanted to get into the US, I answered his questions with the minimum of disdain, noted his ID etc and sent a letter to the US customs people and got a simpering apology letter. Never had a problem at the border since.

My wife (Cdn) was called a 'bloody yank' in a restaurant in Wells, Somerset after she asked what 'cremed suede' was on a menu....at that point I'd already had a glass of wine and an appetizer and we just walked out and told them that was no way to address a customer.....
Old May 21st 2009, 3:14 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Quite.

I find all this shock and indignation quite amusing. Locals are just voicing in public what many have always thought (and said) in private. Having a husband who does not sound as though he ever left these shores, offers up the opportunity to listen to local born and breds really say what they think about us. Vancouver is really quite horrible for covert racism and subtle discrimination. I'd hate to be a person of colour and a recent immigrant to Vancouver, to be honest.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:14 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure it's a case of not standing up for oneself.

Personally, I'd probably have felt a little gobsmacked by being spoken to like that by some 19 yr old coffee server (Can't answer for the OP)

And then there is the issue of having the speed and clarity to come back with a witty/sarcastic/pointed/deserving remark that was suitable without sinking to her depths of crassness (is that a word?)

I can always think of exactly the right thing to say 10 minutes later, but on the spot it is likely to be a smart-arse remark not in keeping with the mood
Of course it is. People will speak to you the way you allow them to.

It's not necessary to come up with something witty - a nicely delivered "f**k off" would have been perfect in the circumstances.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:29 am
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

What a horrible experience. I agree with the others, I'd definately go back and have words with the Manager, or a letter at the very least.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:40 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

on my way home from the ferry, i stopped at a coffee shop on lonsdale (northshore - can't recal name but will check again tomorrow and let you all know so that you can avoid it!!!!) and just casually asked this girl serving, who must have been all of 19/20 if they were hiring (asking for my kids).........was told:

'enough' she said.

needless to say, i, having paid for my coffee that i really wanted to walk away from (or throw over her) but wasn't going to........left.....

i live in a really multi-cultral area.....it's called vancouver!!!!!! this is the only time i have ever experienced this........ever!!!!! i'm still fummmmmmmmming
Oh please, non white British people have to go through this ignorance on a daily basis in the UK, now you get a little taster and you guys are so shocked ? Welcome to the world of being seen as a bloody immigrant. At least it was your accent that gave the game away, you try going to interviews with a permanent brown skin on you and you will really no what it feels like to be treated as an outsider, even if you are born in the UK.
Old May 21st 2009, 8:04 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
you try going to interviews with a permanent brown skin on you and you will really no what it feels like to be treated as an outsider, even if you are born in the UK.
The recent person i hired on my project team had a great interview and i even treated him to a slap up meal. £xxx's per day rate, a good job, and a great company........the poor barsteward.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

'enough' she said.

Some people are just so backward!! Not the sort of environment you want your kids working in anyway so all is not lost

I would have definately said something to her though!curse:
Old May 21st 2009, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Canadian and have lived in England for the past 19 years and never once had a derogatory comment made to me whilst out here, atleast never to my face.
My 19 year old son who is also Canadian and has a lovely British accent recently moved back to Alberta and was rudely refused entry to a bar because of his English accent, they said "we don't allow Brits in here" he was totally sober and out for drinks with his Canadian cousins. I phoned the bar in questions and demanded an explanation and was told they would investigate it and they never phoned back, my Mom also phoned (my son lives with her) she also complained and they never responed to her either.

What upsets me more than the Redneck ignorance is my son is now imbarrassed of his accent and is working hard to get rid of it, he also struggled to even get an interview for a job, but luckly with the help of family and friends getting him in through the door he has found a job and they LOVE him.

We move back to Canada in November and I am worried about how my 17 year old son will cope
Old May 21st 2009, 12:00 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

That's terrible! Words really have the power to hurt people, I think I would have been less shocked if it was a punch instead
Old May 21st 2009, 12:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dan_nick
I am Canadian and have lived in England for the past 19 years and never once had a derogatory comment made to me whilst out here, atleast never to my face.
My 19 year old son who is also Canadian and has a lovely British accent recently moved back to Alberta and was rudely refused entry to a bar because of his English accent, they said "we don't allow Brits in here" he was totally sober and out for drinks with his Canadian cousins. I phoned the bar in questions and demanded an explanation and was told they would investigate it and they never phoned back, my Mom also phoned (my son lives with her) she also complained and they never responed to her either.

What upsets me more than the Redneck ignorance is my son is now imbarrassed of his accent and is working hard to get rid of it, he also struggled to even get an interview for a job, but luckly with the help of family and friends getting him in through the door he has found a job and they LOVE him.

We move back to Canada in November and I am worried about how my 17 year old son will cope
That does seem odd. Maybe the bar has a blanket ban on Brits because of something that happened in the past?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.