Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:58 pm
  #376  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,386
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Unfortunately, since you don't currently live in the UK, you won't be able to find the answers to these questions. You could try the internet - but that's not valid apparently since you don't live in the UK. You could "phone a friend" in the UK, but that's not a valid source of information either apparently. You could visit the UK and see for yourself, but because you don't actually live in the UK, that's not valid either apparently. Apparently there is no way for you to ever know the answers to your questions unless you go back to live in the UK permanently.
Again, you're coming across as just trolling and trying to provoke a fight now. People are perfectly entitled to their opinion (you included), and we are all free to disagree with each other as well. All we ask as mods is that you disagree politely, and don't resort to personal abuse.

Either put your point of view across without resorting to belittling others, or leave the thread please.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2011, 5:00 pm
  #377  
Pea Brain
 
R I C H's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: TBD
Posts: 5,992
R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
Are you trying?
Is the correct answer.
R I C H is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:52 pm
  #378  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
Posts: 4,785
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
Are you trying to be a [email protected] or is it by accident ?
Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Again, you're coming across as just trolling and trying to provoke a fight now. People are perfectly entitled to their opinion (you included), and we are all free to disagree with each other as well. All we ask as mods is that you disagree politely, and don't resort to personal abuse.

Either put your point of view across without resorting to belittling others, or leave the thread please.
Absolutely no sense of humour whatsoever.

Personal abuse? Show me where I abused anyone. And how come this is the first time you've piped up about "personal abuse" when others have already said much worse to me? Or is just that if you agree with them they can say whatever they like?
MarylandNed is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:01 pm
  #379  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,386
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Personal abuse? Show me where I abused anyone. And how come this is the first time you've piped up about "personal abuse" when others have already said much worse to me? Or is just that if you agree with them they can say whatever they like?
*sigh*. Re-read my response, I never accused you of personal abuse.

I simply asked that you stop with the sarcasm about Google, which seems to be aimed at provoking a reaction from one individual who isn't even participating in the thread anymore.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:54 am
  #380  
BE Forum Addict
 
jimf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,340
jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
There was hose pipe ban in 76. There was also a serious water shortage in yorkshire (of all places) in the mid 90's. They had to ship truck loads of water from elsewhere - I think 1000's of them. I also remember the head of yorkshire water saying he could have a complete wash with a tea cup of water or something which caused outrage at the time.

Anyways:-

1 - I had a water meter in the UK; I do not have one here and I'm on city water (which is unusual for where I live, but a definite plus)

2 - If you have low population density you end up with lots of people using well water - I consider wells to be a much bigger pita than an occasional hose pipe ban.
It was a PR disaster for YW - the chairman claimed he was going without bath/shower and claimed he could do a "dry" wash - it turned out he was nipping over to his mother's house for a bath just outside of the YW area.

The water was tankered from one part of Yorkshire to another - east to west I think. Since then the water companies generally have invested in pipelines to provide for greater security of supply ie to be able to supply areas from more than one source.
jimf is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 5:06 pm
  #381  
Forum Regular
 
FirstRatofftheShipUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 255
FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou View Post
That's my bad, I should of stated BC as that's where most of my experience has been. Still I'm surprised so many people have said that they disagree with so many of the points I listed. If so many people disagree with the points I've made, what are the reasons for living in Canada?
In support of Mr fixyou. After living in England at school age, I then lived in BC (Victoria and Vancouver areas) from my teens to mid-20s. Possibly this is a Regional thing because I must agree with the majority of his points en masse. Then another 15 years all over England until present. I add my points in no particular order of importance:

Pros of Canada (Vancouver Area)

1) Skiing on a whim on the North Shore
2) Winter Sunset over Stanley Park beach/N Shore Mountains
3) A general feeling of personal, mental and physical 'space'
4) Generally optimistic population
5) The Cash Curve! that hard-working young professional people can benefit from in reliance
6) Winter sunshine
7) Snowy Christmas
8) Social Mobility
9) World-class Educational system
10) World-class Health Care (still modeled on Universalism)
11) No rubbish in the streets
12) Available fresh wild salmon
13) Bi-lingualism
14) Opportunity for one's children
15) IKEA

Cons of Canada (and for the more mature on here, I clarify that I am not making reference to Brian Mulrooney!)

1) Lack of historical Architecure
2) Expensive food shopping
4) Proximity to The USA
5) Car Crime
6) A totally humourless RCMP and Border Guard force
7) Expensive prescriptions
8) Bit sparse in places
9) Strip-mall towns
10) The TV

Pros of UK

1) Proximity to Western Europe
2) Cultural Sense of Humour
3) The Man on the Omnibus
4) Reasonably priced New Zealand wines
5) A Sense of History / Permanence
6) Ever changing rolling Countyrside
7) The Pub (not the food though)
8) The Beeb and decent TV programming generally
9) IKEA
10) Ancient Oak Tree forests

Cons of The UK

1) A mostly miserable populace
2) The depressing sight of hoards of 'lost' young families (see point 7 below)
3) Gun-metal grey Summer skies
4) The Rain
5) The farce of Parking even at one's own House, and actually, anything to do with running a Motor car
6) Scandalous Utility Bills
7) Stupidly knowing and accepting your place, errm, Class & Social Inmobility
8) An effective Educational Aparthide
9) The Housing crisis
10) Red Tape at Local Authority level
11) 3rd World Public Transport
12) Socialism just -gone-too-far
13) The Tabloids
14) Farmed Salmon
15) Having to pay to see the ancient Oak Trees, or Fish, or walk anywhere, or generally do anything attached to The Great Outdoors
16) Parking whilst at IKEA
FirstRatofftheShipUK is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm
  #382  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,058
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK View Post
In support of Mr fixyou. After living in England at school age, I then lived in BC (Victoria and Vancouver areas) from my teens to mid-20s. Possibly this is a Regional thing because I must agree with the majority of his points en masse. Then another 15 years all over England until present. I add my points in no particular order of importance:

Pros of Canada (Vancouver Area)

1) Skiing on a whim on the North Shore
2) Winter Sunset over Stanley Park beach/N Shore Mountains
3) A general feeling of personal, mental and physical 'space'
4) Generally optimistic population
5) The Cash Curve! that hard-working young professional people can benefit from in reliance
6) Winter sunshine
7) Snowy Christmas
8) Social Mobility
9) World-class Educational system
10) World-class Health Care (still modeled on Universalism)
11) No rubbish in the streets
12) Available fresh wild salmon
13) Bi-lingualism
14) Opportunity for one's children
15) IKEA

Cons of Canada (and for the more mature on here, I clarify that I am not making reference to Brian Mulrooney!)

1) Lack of historical Architecure
2) Expensive food shopping
4) Proximity to The USA
5) Car Crime
6) A totally humourless RCMP and Border Guard force
7) Expensive prescriptions
8) Bit sparse in places
9) Strip-mall towns
10) The TV

Pros of UK

1) Proximity to Western Europe
2) Cultural Sense of Humour
3) The Man on the Omnibus
4) Reasonably priced New Zealand wines
5) A Sense of History / Permanence
6) Ever changing rolling Countyrside
7) The Pub (not the food though)
8) The Beeb and decent TV programming generally
9) IKEA
10) Ancient Oak Tree forests

Cons of The UK

1) A mostly miserable populace
2) The depressing sight of hoards of 'lost' young families (see point 7 below)
3) Gun-metal grey Summer skies
4) The Rain
5) The farce of Parking even at one's own House, and actually, anything to do with running a Motor car
6) Scandalous Utility Bills
7) Stupidly knowing and accepting your place, errm, Class & Social Inmobility
8) An effective Educational Aparthide
9) The Housing crisis
10) Red Tape at Local Authority level
11) 3rd World Public Transport
12) Socialism just -gone-too-far
13) The Tabloids
14) Farmed Salmon
15) Having to pay to see the ancient Oak Trees, or Fish, or walk anywhere, or generally do anything attached to The Great Outdoors
16) Parking whilst at IKEA


Who said Canadians can't be funny.
Oink is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:22 pm
  #383  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
amarflora is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

When you visit any restaurant and they say 'for here or to go' is that even correct grammatically?? lol
amarflora is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:27 pm
  #384  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by amarflora View Post
When you visit any restaurant and they say 'for here or to go' is that even correct grammatically?? lol
McDonalds or Tim Hortons shouldn't be classed as restaurants
el_richo is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:31 pm
  #385  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
amarflora is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by el_richo View Post
McDonalds or Tim Hortons shouldn't be classed as restaurants
well even Subway and several pizza places say that so the horizon is vast. Atleast my credit card statement classifies that as a restaurant transaction.
amarflora is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:37 pm
  #386  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by amarflora View Post
well even Subway and several pizza places say that so the horizon is vast. Atleast my credit card statement classifies that as a restaurant transaction.
You'll have to ignore el_richo as he can be a bit of a snob. He prefers up-scale pretentious restaurants like Wendys.
Alan2005 is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 7:35 pm
  #387  
Seasoned Maritimer
 
Tangram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick CA
Posts: 8,263
Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by el_richo View Post
McDonalds or Tim Hortons shouldn't be classed as restaurants
or food.
Tangram is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:51 pm
  #388  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Alan2005 View Post
You'll have to ignore el_richo as he can be a bit of a snob. He prefers up-scale pretentious restaurants like Wendys.
I parked in Wendys this morning when i went to buy Battlefield 3
el_richo is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:24 pm
  #389  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 140
huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by MarylandNed View Post
Well there are water shortages in the UK and there are going to be more - especially in the south-east with its high population density and relatively low rainfall. It's not just a question of storage and distribution. Most UK households don't even have a water meter. This leads to very inefficient water usage.


http://www.wwf.org.uk/wwf_articles.cfm?unewsid=4154

"Water meters are a key solution to Britain’s water shortages – but there still aren’t enough of them around. Figures from water regulator Ofwat show there’s been a worryingly low take-up around the country – just over a third of households are on a water meter. We need to see them in every home within ten years."

"Our water charging system isn’t just unfair and outdated, it’s also piling huge pressure on our rivers and their wildlife. One third of our river catchments are facing damage because we’re simply taking too much water out of them – a problem that’s set to get worse with climate change and a rising population. "
MarylandNed

We have a water meter and our water bill went down considerably compared to living in a house without one. We also collect our grey water for the garden.

We live in SE Kent and agree its a dry part of the UK. We went 3 months without any measurable rain this summer. I agree most of the rain in the North of the UK and do not have the infrastructure to transport large quantities of water to the south of England.

When we lived in Ontario our friends thought it rained all the time in the UK. We now have half the annual rainfall than we we lived in Canada.

I do not think we will run out of water, we need to use less in the future or recovery more for other uses. I have installed 3 water butts to collect rainwater from my workshop, so help to conserve water use.

I actually like the mild and relative dry climate of SE England. 14C today and spent it in the garden, cut the grass and spent time tidying up the vegetable garden.

hudd
huddm is offline  
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:29 pm
  #390  
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 14,227
Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by el_richo View Post
I parked in Wendys this morning when i went to buy Battlefield 3
I've got MW3 - but I haven't played it yet (it's in the queue with assassins creed: "more of the same" edition). I'm still playing skyrim after a month - it's stupidly addictive once you get into it (damn my easily manipulated by skinner boxes mentality). Still I'm off till Jan 4th now and the sofa is calling.
Alan2005 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.