Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Why didn't IRA bombs in Manchester etc... Change the UK's way of life?

Who won?
I seem to recall you are ex-military.

How many service personnel wore their uniform outside of barracks? What about lack of bins at all airports, train stations etc?

The change should be related to the threat: someone uses a knife to access the cockpit; such items are not allowed on board: someone tries to blow up a plane using a substance in a shoe; passengers have to have their shoes checked. It isn't rocket science.

I am happy to undergo the checks. If they become too onerous, I won't visit the US. Simple really.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to start a disagreement, but don't you think it goes more like this?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

The change should be related to the threat: someone uses a knife to access the cockpit; such items are not allowed on board: SO someone tries to blow up a plane using a substance in a shoe; SO passengers have to have their shoes checked. It isn't rocket science. But that may be next.
It's called shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. Or, possibly, more ways than one to skin a cat.

Meanwhile the people who suffer are the traveling public.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not wishing to start a disagreement, but don't you think it goes more like this?

It's called shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted. Or, possibly, more ways than one to skin a cat.

I don't disagree and, ideally, one should implement measures before someone attempts someone. I can imagine how people would react to that. Intrusive government and all that.

Ad other commentators have said. They should operate two systems. One where there are no searches and you can take whatever you want onboard, the other where searches, profiling, etc are used and let the travelling public decide which they prefer.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree and, ideally, one should implement measures before someone attempts someone. I can imagine how people would react to that. Intrusive government and all that.
The american intelligence services were told about the 9/11 people and did nothing. They were told about the underwear bomber and did nothing.

The security stuff at airports is expensive, inconvenient and completely pointless. It has not prevented one single terrorist attack or led to the arrest of anyone involved with terrorism.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Yes they do and they suffer the consequences however dont you think thats what terror organizations set out to do as well as attacks on the countries of their choice? They have the advantage that they can strike wherever and whenever whereas we have to figure out ways of minimising these risks.
Its hard to decide what bolt to put on the stable before you buy the horse when the bolts are constantly changing and getting better.
As almost Canadian said let the public choose which airline to take, the ones with checks and balances or the do whatever you like sort of airline and lets see who stays in business the longest. I know which airline I would prefer and whoever has ever flown El Al will testify that they have a pretty good record of averting or preventing such attacks.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:06 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I know which airline I would prefer and whoever has ever flown El Al will testify that they have a pretty good record of averting or preventing such attacks.
And do you know how they do this? It's not full body scanners, intrusive searches, or making people take their shoes off.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The american intelligence services were told about the 9/11 people and did nothing. They were told about the underwear bomber and did nothing.

The security stuff at airports is expensive, inconvenient and completely pointless. It has not prevented one single terrorist attack or led to the arrest of anyone involved with terrorism.
And you have proof of this ???
You have made it pretty clear in other threads that you dont like the security at borders and that as a citizen of the world that you should be able to go where and when you want without being subjected to any checks.
That is your opinion however I will ask when you travel do you stand upto the oppresive Govt regimes such as the USA and Canada and refuse to hand over or show a passport or do you sheepishly hand it over hoping that you dont get further examined. Talk is cheap thats why I have suggested you travel to the DPR Korea and Syria etc to see if your theory on not being checked would work. As for being the slave well yeah I guess I am as I care who comes into this country unlike you so if you dont care who comes into the country then I guess its only right you shouldnt care who comes into your house then.
BTW I havent decided yet if you are a wummer or just ill informed.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
And do you know how they do this? It's not full body scanners, intrusive searches, or making people take their shoes off.
No they use profilers who are constantly monitoring passengers but they also have the detecting tools as well, and us being Canadians well how would we react to profiling people? Well we objected hence the checks we have.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:41 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It doesn't bother me as I take the bus.
I dont think I am going to go on holiday anymore. Just paid $12 + HST + tip for a pint of Stella at my airport hotel. I think that's possibly the most I have ever paid for a pint where there are no naked girls involved.....
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I dont think I am going to go on holiday anymore. Just paid $12 + HST + tip for a pint of Stella at my airport hotel. I think that's possibly the most I have ever paid for a pint where there are no naked girls involved.....
And now you have just found out there is a LCBO store just around the corner
Have a good trip and remember be nice to us when you come back
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:12 am

And you have proof of this ???
You have made it pretty clear in other threads that you dont like the security at borders and that as a citizen of the world that you should be able to go where and when you want without being subjected to any checks.
That is your opinion however I will ask when you travel do you stand upto the oppresive Govt regimes such as the USA and Canada and refuse to hand over or show a passport or do you sheepishly hand it over hoping that you dont get further examined. Talk is cheap thats why I have suggested you travel to the DPR Korea and Syria etc to see if your theory on not being checked would work. As for being the slave well yeah I guess I am as I care who comes into this country unlike you so if you dont care who comes into the country then I guess its only right you shouldnt care who comes into your house then.
BTW I havent decided yet if you are a wummer or just ill informed.
People always go on about how I should go to north korea - I've no idea why this, as usually the people that say that are apparatchiks such as yourself. People who approve of surveillance and state intrusion.

The reason I don't say piss off at the border is because you are authorized by the state to use violence against me - I can't compete with statist thugs who don't understand what freedom is. I'm just one guy.

As for evidence:

The father of the underwear bomber informed the CIA about it (clip from CNN):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UguilDrFNUE

I also recall a news item that said the flying schools had informed the authorities about the 9/11 people at the time, but I can't find it amongst all the crackpot conspiracy theorists. So apologies for that.

No they use profilers who are constantly monitoring passengers but they also have the detecting tools as well, and us being Canadians well how would we react to profiling people? Well we objected hence the checks we have.
They say they don't. I saw an interview with El Al's head of security and they claim not to profile people. He may have been lying because that is the kind of thing I expect from the state and its agents.

Edit: This was an interview at the time the TSA was installing full body scanners in the US. The El Al guy was basically saying that this was a waste of time and money.

Last edited by Alan2005; Dec 24th 2011 at 1:24 am.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 3:41 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Holy bloody crap, that's atrocious.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Oink
Holy bloody crap, that's atrocious.
Oink
Maybe if he visiting the UK he may shop as TESCO if he is visiting the UK

Stella Artois 10 X 440Ml Cans £7.00

I used to make home brew when we lived in Canada. LBCO is a well presented store, but found the prices to high.

Now we back in the UK we actually drink much less than Onatrio, maybe because the wife is much happier being here.

hudd
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:41 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall you are ex-military.

How many service personnel wore their uniform outside of barracks? What about lack of bins at all airports, train stations etc?

The change should be related to the threat: someone uses a knife to access the cockpit; such items are not allowed on board: someone tries to blow up a plane using a substance in a shoe; passengers have to have their shoes checked. It isn't rocket science.

I am happy to undergo the checks. If they become too onerous, I won't visit the US. Simple really.
True, but these are minuscule responses to the threat. Basic preventative measures. I didn't feel my rights had been hugely violated because there wasn't waste bin in the station/airport.

Regarding searching for any sort of weapon, today it is a knife, and tomorrow someone uses a ballpoint pen to stab the pilot or a rolled up newspaper, even a packet of polos can be a serious weapon. We would be relatively save if we stripped naked and all flew in the nude, ensure all luggage is checked or personally packed by a super security cleared baggage packer. Where will it end.

The point is if someone really wants to do you harm there are a miriiad number of ways limited only by your imagination. I don't have the answer but I am convinced implementing ever more draconian rules isn't the way. Paranoia in the extreme, assume everyone is an enemy and treat the accordingly is hardly the way to win friends and influence people.

I avoid going to the USA where possible the benefits have to significantly outweigh the hassle(I suppose the terrorists feel the same way).
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
True, but these are minuscule responses to the threat. Basic preventative measures. I didn't feel my rights had been hugely violated because there wasn't waste bin in the station/airport.

Regarding searching for any sort of weapon, today it is a knife, and tomorrow someone uses a ballpoint pen to stab the pilot or a rolled up newspaper, even a packet of polos can be a serious weapon. We would be relatively save if we stripped naked and all flew in the nude, ensure all luggage is checked or personally packed by a super security cleared baggage packer. Where will it end.

The point is if someone really wants to do you harm there are a miriiad number of ways limited only by your imagination. I don't have the answer but I am convinced implementing ever more draconian rules isn't the way. Paranoia in the extreme, assume everyone is an enemy and treat the accordingly is hardly the way to win friends and influence people.

I avoid going to the USA where possible the benefits have to significantly outweigh the hassle(I suppose the terrorists feel the same way).
You make some very valid points but isnt that how the terrorists are now playing the game? They strike fear and paranoia into the general populous they are fighting. They force Govts into spending billions of dollars on security measures that some will argue dont or cant stop these attacks.
They are merely a deterrant factor however they are put in place to try to convince that the populous is being protected and it is safe to go on about their normal lives. Yes its an inconvenience when travelling but if they were not in place then how many would risk travelling?
I too dont have the answers but I look at the risk factor and make plans accordingly.
Im flying to Vegas in March. Do I cancel my trip because of the hassle of going through airport security checks? Am I thinking is it safe to fly based on threats as opposed to the plane crashing through mechanical failure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.