Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I think 9/11 is used a scapegoat for a lot of things down there as a means to justify racist and xenophobic behaviour both by people and government.
Well yes you have a point but with the US of A being seen as the land of the free its not surprising that they are not as welcoming to visitors, refugees etc as they cost money to the taxpayers if not a genuine visitor or refugee claimant. As for our own policies on non convention refugees dont even get me started
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well yes you have a point but with the US of A being seen as the land of the free its not surprising that they are not as welcoming to visitors, refugees etc as they cost money to the taxpayers if not a genuine visitor or refugee claimant. As for our own policies on non convention refugees dont even get me started
Well I understand that they need to protect their own borders but the fact that they now treat Western European visitors like crap when anyone with a Canadian passport can pretty much show up and wander freely there as they choose (with reason) seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

That is why I get very annoyed about US citizens trying to circumvent British and EU immigration laws and I wouldn't think twice about shopping one of them if I suspected that they were up to no good.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well I understand that they need to protect their own borders but the fact that they now treat Western European visitors like crap when anyone with a Canadian passport can pretty much show up and wander freely there as they choose (with reason) seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

That is why I get very annoyed about US citizens trying to circumvent British and EU immigration laws and I wouldn't think twice about shopping one of them if I suspected that they were up to no good.
What was it you were saying about xenophobic behaviour?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What was it you were saying about xenophobic behaviour?
I'm not being xenophobic, just saying that what's good for the goose is good for the gander as far as I'm concerned.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I think 9/11 is used a scapegoat for a lot of things down there as a means to justify racist and xenophobic behaviour both by people and government.
9/11 changed everything.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Oink
9/11 changed everything.
Did it really? Or are we just led to believe that it did so that they can subject genuine travellers to routine humiliation on a regular basis.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Did it really? Or are we just led to believe that it did so that they can subject genuine travellers to routine humiliation on a regular basis.
It taught us that people want to destroy our way of life so a little bit of extra security to protect our liberty is not too much to ask. If you've got nothing to hide then you shouldn't need to worry.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:16 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

It taught us that people want to destroy our way of life so a little bit of extra security to protect our liberty is not too much to ask. If you've got nothing to hide then you shouldn't need to worry.
+1
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I think by casually consenting to being fingerprinted, x-ray body scanned, felt up by a demented pervo (I mean ummm Airport security official), removing our shoes so that said official can check there isn't any gun powder in them, submitting retinal scans, carrying soap and toothpaste around an airport in a little clear plastic bag and generally living and working in a 'guilty until proven innocent' kind of society, we have done a pretty decent job of destroying our liberties for ourselves.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:21 pm

I think by casually consenting to being fingerprinted, x-ray body scanned, felt up by a demented pervo (I mean ummm Airport security official), removing our shoes so that said official can check there isn't any gun powder in them, submitting retinal scans, carrying soap and toothpaste around an airport in a little clear plastic bag and generally living and working in a 'guilty until proven innocent' kind of society, we have done a pretty decent job of destroying our liberties for ourselves.
It doesn't bother me as I take the bus.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It doesn't bother me as I take the bus.
I'm not just talking about the US now, in fact British airports are just as bad, if not a lot worse, than the ones in the States these days and Canadian ones seem a lot nicer than both.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:27 pm

I'm not just talking about the US now, in fact British airports are just as bad, if not a lot worse, than the ones in the States these days and Canadian ones seem a lot nicer than both.
I know its inconvenient but its the modern times. What can you do eh?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
State intrusion mmm please elaborate.
If you are suggesting that we just open the borders then and not ask questions I suppose you will have no objections to me entering your home and helping myself to your stuff etc etc.
Huh? You'll have to explain this reasoning to me. I know you've been conditioned into thinking like a slave, but where's the logic in this?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:56 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't IRA bombs in Manchester etc... Change the UK's way of life?

The USA response to 9/11 has enabled the terrorist to win. USA has completely changed their open society with is liberty to one of closed borders, close body searches or full body scanning, monitoring of emails, personal data for any database residing in the USA. I.e. all your Facebook data, LinkedIn etc.... All available to the US security forces.

Who won?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Why didn't IRA bombs in Manchester etc... Change the UK's way of life?

The USA response to 9/11 has enabled the terrorist to win. USA has completely changed their open society with is liberty to one of closed borders, close body searches or full body scanning, monitoring of emails, personal data for any database residing in the USA. I.e. all your Facebook data, LinkedIn etc.... All available to the US security forces.

Who won?
Sometimes in order to protect freedoms you have limit them. The US has to take stiff but understandable measures if they want win their war of terror.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.