Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:55 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
6) A totally humourless RCMP and Border Guard force
Where as British immigration are known for their friendliness and repitoire of top notch gags?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ive suggested to management that perhaps we should wear clown suits, do juggling tricks and offer double doubles to travellers but apparently these were met with blank stares or was questioned as to my sincerity
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:20 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Where as British immigration are known for their friendliness and repitoire of top notch gags?
I don't know as even before IRIS I don't ever recall having to speak to one beyond saying 'hello'.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I don't know as even before IRIS I don't ever recall having to speak to one beyond saying 'hello'.
They ask where you have been, for how long and what you were doing there now. Not too intrusive but still a change from how it used to be, or at least they did to me on each of the 3 or 4 times I re-entered the UK last year anyway on a British passport.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not we have had complaints when our officers dont speak or say Hello to travellers. Maybe thats why we have the forms you fill in rather than verbally ask the relevant questions
I guess we are in a no win situation.
I guess because the UK still use the Red and Green lines or the Declare or Nothing to Declare lanes its hit and miss if you get pulled over and then are asked a bunch of questions etc.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:33 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Believe it or not we have had complaints when our officers dont speak or say Hello to travellers. Maybe thats why we have the forms you fill in rather than verbally ask the relevant questions
I guess we are in a no win situation.
I guess because the UK still use the Red and Green lines or the Declare or Nothing to Declare lanes its hit and miss if you get pulled over and then are asked a bunch of questions etc.
You mean irrelevant questions?

My impression has always been that it is not hit and miss in the UK. They seem to have advance information on certain flights or passengers and are very focused in who they stop. Of course they are concerned with stopping serious crime as opposed to the smuggling of cheese or an extra bottle of wine.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To you Yes that maybe the case but to us No.
Those irrelevant questions might decide to the officer if they should refer you for further verification. I mean lets be honest nobody goes up to any Customs Officer anywhere in the world and says BTW I am bringing in some prohibited, controlled or restricted goods or using someone elses ID.

Pray tell us what should we do?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My impression has always been that it is not hit and miss in the UK. They seem to have advance information on certain flights or passengers and are very focused in who they stop. Of course they are concerned with stopping serious crime as opposed to the smuggling of cheese or an extra bottle of wine.
Well we tried that here but out came the Privacy advocates etc etc.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 4:57 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you who object and whine about being questioned by Canadian Immigration/Custome I say TOUGH TITTIES AND TOO BAD, SO SAD. If it bothers you so much you are sufficiently intelligent to know what to do.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
For those of you who object and whine about being questioned by Canadian Immigration/Custome I say TOUGH TITTIES AND TOO BAD, SO SAD. If it bothers you so much you are sufficiently intelligent to know what to do.
Well said that man

They can even use this link though Im sure some cant be arsed and just like to complain and moan.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Funny - you often get apologists for state intrusion. I don't know why. You get the same reaction about CCTV.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Funny - you often get apologists for state intrusion. I don't know why. You get the same reaction about CCTV.
State intrusion mmm please elaborate.
If you are suggesting that we just open the borders then and not ask questions I suppose you will have no objections to me entering your home and helping myself to your stuff etc etc.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Well said that man

They can even use this link though Im sure some cant be arsed and just like to complain and moan.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html
I wouldn't complain about this personally, it's their country and they have a right to question people as much as they want, particularly if they suspect any kind of dodgy activity.

I do have issues with US border policy though, which seems often selective and over the top in my opinion.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I wouldn't complain about this personally, it's their country and they have a right to question people as much as they want, particularly if they suspect any kind of dodgy activity.

I do have issues with US border policy though, which seems often selective and over the top in my opinion.
Rightly or wrongly Im guessing 9/11 might have been a catalyst for todays CBP mandate and responsibilities. God forbid anything like that happens in Canada and some think our methods are intrusive.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:43 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Rightly or wrongly Im guessing 9/11 might have been a catalyst for todays CBP mandate and responsibilities. God forbid anything like that happens in Canada and some think our methods are intrusive.
I think 9/11 is used a scapegoat for a lot of things down there as a means to justify racist and xenophobic behaviour both by people and government.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.