Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Editha
To suggest that a country like the UK, which enjoys one of the highest standards of living in the world is "overcrowded" is ridiculous, and yes it is simply right wing code for "we don't want any more immigrants". In the context of the UK it can't have any other meaning..
I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest/astonishment and hate the bickering in threads like this so usually stay well clear as I can't be doing with the drama or the backlash.

I have to disagree with you on what you have said about right wing code...- I think parts of the UK are overcrowded. Traffic is horrendous in most places and houses are often far too close together and I live in the countryside!

And for the record I don't have a racist bone in my body nor do I have a problem with immigrants whatsoever - nor do I see the need for the animosity in this thread.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I went to College Park, Maryland once, and once was enough thank you very much, what an ugly cesspool of a place.
Finally, a note of sanity. I once had to spend 2 weeks there. Never again.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I went to College Park, Maryland once, and once was enough thank you very much, what an ugly cesspool of a place.
Agreed. Beautiful university campus surrounded ugly urban blight. But did you actually have a point to make or did you just want to share that thought? By the way, I don't live in College Park.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 30th 2011 at 9:14 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

To suggest that a country like the UK, which enjoys one of the highest standards of living in the world is "overcrowded" is ridiculous, and yes it is simply right wing code for "we don't want any more immigrants". In the context of the UK it can't have any other meaning.
Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest/astonishment and hate the bickering in threads like this so usually stay well clear as I can't be doing with the drama or the backlash.

I have to disagree with you on what you have said about right wing code...- I think parts of the UK are overcrowded. Traffic is horrendous in most places and houses are often far too close together and I live in the countryside!

And for the record I don't have a racist bone in my body nor do I have a problem with immigrants whatsoever - nor do I see the need for the animosity in this thread.
Totally agree. But don't expect her to understand or agree. She has her own agenda - or she's just out of touch with the situation in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Totally agree. But don't expect her to understand or agree. She has her own agenda - or she's just out of touch with the situation in the UK.
Well, if you conveniently ignore all the nice bits of the UK, you're correct when you say that Canada is a better place to live. Fancy that!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Stop with the sweeping generalisations and/or making statements that aren't true! I live in the South East, never had a hosepipe ban or 'routine' water shortage. Mind you, I've not noticed this alleged 'overcrowding' either.
I remember a hosepipe ban. Summer of '73 was it?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Well, if you conveniently ignore all the nice bits of the UK, you're correct when you say that Canada is a better place to live. Fancy that!
I don't "ignore" the nice parts of the UK. There are some beautiful parts of the UK. Whether Canada is a better place to live or not depends on many factors that will be viewed differently by different people. Personally, I would rather live in Canada, the US or Australia than live in the UK. Many UK expats hold that same view - otherwise they wouldn't be expats in those countries. However, I would rather live in the UK than live in many other countries. I can't say for certain that I would never move back to the UK.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 30th 2011 at 9:46 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stop with the sweeping generalisations and/or making statements that aren't true! I live in the South East, never had a hosepipe ban or 'routine' water shortage. Mind you, I've not noticed this alleged 'overcrowding' either.
You don't remember this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen.../water.uknews1

Water shortages in south-east England will get worse in the next 15 years if more infrastructure is not built to deal with the problem, the leading water users' body warned today.

The warning came as hosepipe bans were extended to a fifth of the UK population, with nearly 13 million people facing restrictions.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't remember this?

Water shortages in south-east England will get worse in the next 15 years if more infrastructure is not built to deal with the problem, the leading water users' body warned today.

The warning came as hosepipe bans were extended to a fifth of the UK population, with nearly 13 million people facing restrictions.
As I've said - there is absolutely no need for anywhere in the UK to have a water shortage. Like in Canada, there's plenty of water to go around - the issues are storage and distribution.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
As I've said - there is absolutely no need for anywhere in the UK to have a water shortage. Like in Canada, there's plenty of water to go around - the issues are storage and distribution.
Well there are water shortages in the UK and there are going to be more - especially in the south-east with its high population density and relatively low rainfall. It's not just a question of storage and distribution. Most UK households don't even have a water meter. This leads to very inefficient water usage.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/wwf_articles.cfm?unewsid=4154

"Water meters are a key solution to Britain’s water shortages – but there still aren’t enough of them around. Figures from water regulator Ofwat show there’s been a worryingly low take-up around the country – just over a third of households are on a water meter. We need to see them in every home within ten years."

"Our water charging system isn’t just unfair and outdated, it’s also piling huge pressure on our rivers and their wildlife. One third of our river catchments are facing damage because we’re simply taking too much water out of them – a problem that’s set to get worse with climate change and a rising population. "
Old Dec 1st 2011, 1:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Well there are water shortages in the UK and there are going to be more - especially in the south-east with its high population density and relatively low rainfall. It's not just a question of storage and distribution. Most UK households don't even have a water meter. This leads to very inefficient water usage.

http://www.wwf.org.uk/wwf_articles.cfm?unewsid=4154

"Water meters are a key solution to Britain’s water shortages – but there still aren’t enough of them around. Figures from water regulator Ofwat show there’s been a worryingly low take-up around the country – just over a third of households are on a water meter. We need to see them in every home within ten years."

"Our water charging system isn’t just unfair and outdated, it’s also piling huge pressure on our rivers and their wildlife. One third of our river catchments are facing damage because we’re simply taking too much water out of them – a problem that’s set to get worse with climate change and a rising population. "
I don't doubt it. My point was that population density is not the cause of water shortages - it's infrastructure.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

More googling Maryland? You'll go blind. An overcrowded train, prison or house, is not the same thing as an "overcrowded" country. Do try to stop going off on irrelevant tangents.

The last time I was in South-East England (I own a house near Brighton and spend at least 4 months a year there), there was no water rationing, enough food in the shops, and I didn't notice any public health warnings about plague either. When it gets like your Soylent Green fantasy I'll let you know.

Editha you do realise that people can have different opinions from each other and different views on places, there is no need to try and belittle others because they dont agree with you.

Surely that is more 'right wing' than anything MarylandNed has said. Yes sure have an opinion but there is no need to try and make others feel small for theirs.

I'm sorry that you seem so desperately unhappy where you are and hope you can move back to the UK one day.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I remember a hosepipe ban. Summer of '73 was it?
Before my time.

You don't remember this?

Nope. We certainly didn't have a hosepipe ban. My parents apparently had a lot of hosepipe bans many years ago, but it's certainly not something that's happened in the past 15 years where I live (in the South East that you claim is affected by water shortages).

Most UK households don't even have a water meter. This leads to very inefficient water usage.
I'm not sure how old that article you quoted from is, or how out of touch it is, but water meters are now put in as a matter of course whenever somebody moves. So when we moved in to our house in April, a water meter was installed, ditto for our previous home 6 years previously. It's now the norm for people to have a water meter, and I don't think I know anybody without one.

The bottom line is that you have a view of the UK (from your friends and family), but I am also living there and don't recognise the problems you've mentioned. Horses for courses and all of that.

Old Dec 1st 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

It's now the norm for people to have a water meter, and I don't think I know anybody without one.
I don't have a water meter

Here's a very up to date (today's BBC) article about drought conditions -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15972810
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:01 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I don't have a water meter

Here's a very up to date (today's BBC) article about drought conditions -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15972810
I don't have a water meter. I don't even have a water bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.