Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Keelif
Well I would hardly say that I am old and decrepit being in my late twenties

I don't think you have to be old and boring to want to live in Canada but perhaps are just seeking a more laid back life. I just find the UK is on a slippery slope and it just doesn't appear to be getting better....and yes I am one of them people who wants to give their children a better childhood. They are made to grow up too quick here.

We are also so over crowded it said in the paper that we are now more congested than China I work 13 miles from where I live and it took me an hour and a half to get home tonight...thats an hour and a half I will never see again. I wouldnt mind if it was an occasional thing but everyday I spend at least an hour and a half in traffic for what should be a half hour round journey.........aaahhhhh

So yes the UK does have more cultural things to do for the young.....but judging by the traffic you may well be middle aged before you get there
Commuting in the GTA I averaged 11mph, the speed at which President Kennedy was travelling when shot. I often thought that would be a kinder fate than life on the 400 series highways.

This puzzles me:

"I am one of them people who wants to give their children a better childhood. They are made to grow up too quick here."

it's often enough cited to be a cliche, but what does it mean?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:26 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...han-China.html

Link above from one of todays papers. I am not a population expert I'm afraid so I really couldnt tell you the fluctuations of Chinas population but I gather if we are now being told that we are more congested than them then I gather its because at some point they were more congested than us....

Congestion = Crowded, busy..

Before anyone says I am moaning about the immigrants, I'm not. I'm more concerned with the traffic....
You regard the Sun newspaper as a reliable source of information? Words fail me.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
You roll out the same tired crap every day.....get a life FFS....25 k posts
And your count, accumulated over flouncing, is how many?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:34 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:42 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a decision made. I'm retiring to Afghanistan. Should be able to get away from the crowds there.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:55 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Well that's a decision made. I'm retiring to Afghanistan. Should be able to get away from the crowds there.
Canada looks quiet

But as we know 99% of Canadian residents live within 200km of the Border with the USA.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 5:05 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of nonsense about population density. Really - who gives a shit - if you want low density, you can find it in both the UK and Canada, ditto for the opposite.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:00 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't take anything seriously on that map - FFS, they can't even get the shapes of the countries right.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by Editha
You regard the Sun newspaper as a reliable source of information? Words fail me.
I have never said that what they print is gospel, I have merely stated what was printed.

I really dont see why you feel the need to be so negative about people who are thinking of moving to Canada for whatever reason. People come to these forums hoping for some informative advice from people who have been in their situation and I dont expect all of it to be rosy but then you dont expect people to try and belittle every little thing you say.

I feel sorry for you that you seem to be clearly so unhappy in your life in Canada and hope you can one day return to England....
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Commuting in the GTA I averaged 11mph, the speed at which President Kennedy was travelling when shot. I often thought that would be a kinder fate than life on the 400 series highways.

This puzzles me:

"I am one of them people who wants to give their children a better childhood. They are made to grow up too quick here."

it's often enough cited to be a cliche, but what does it mean?
If I lived in London I could understand the traffic I have to endure daily....but I live in Hampshire.

I know it is a cliche but it doesn't make it any less true I'm afraid. Maybe all the things you hate about Canada are the same ones that are attracting me. Children over here and in a lot of other places just seem to be growing up too quickly and it has been said that Canada can be like stepping back in time. So if I can take my little boy somewhere where he can be a child for longer, well then thats good enough for me

I know this could probably be true for somewhere in the UK but it will probably be out of my price range I'm afraid
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

it has been said that Canada can be like stepping back in time.
I think that's fair in many respects. Whether or not it's a blessing is another matter.

So if I can take my little boy somewhere where he can be a child for longer, well then thats good enough for me
Again, I don't know what it means. If you're hoping for some sort of retardation try living in the oil sands.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Again, I don't know what it means. If you're hoping for some sort of retardation try living in the oil sands.[/QUOTE]

Lol..No I am not hoping for some retardation. I guess it goes back to the stepping back in time comment. My childhood was completely different to young cousins of mind who are just entering their early teens. Kids just seem to be so much more aware these days and everything is overly sexualised (im not some crazy puritanacal nun before anyone says anything) but It does worry me that little girsl are now worried about their weight or bra size when they're nine instead of what new toy they'd like.

However I think I may have gone slightly off topic and don't want to bore you all (sorry to those I already have!)
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

Lol..No I am not hoping for some retardation. I guess it goes back to the stepping back in time comment. My childhood was completely different to young cousins of mind who are just entering their early teens. Kids just seem to be so much more aware these days and everything is overly sexualised (im not some crazy puritanacal nun before anyone says anything) but It does worry me that little girsl are now worried about their weight or bra size when they're nine instead of what new toy they'd like.

However I think I may have gone slightly off topic and don't want to bore you all (sorry to those I already have!)
This may be the least "on topic" thread evah so I wouldn't worry about drift.

I understand your concern since I have, or had, a selection of female children and constantly compared their degree of moral decay with that of their cousins in the UK and in rural Ontario. My children were highly sexually aware at nine, possibly earlier, I recall one at age seven making a comparison to Dirty Dancing and another at age nine or so attending school at Halloween dressed as Peg Bundy. Dirty Dancing and Married with Children both featured overt sexuality though I'd argue that the latter was more benign as it fostered understanding of sexual stereotyping and of irony. That the child's peers understood the Peg Bundy costume suggests that my child was not precocious in her knowledge.

Where did the children acquire their awareness? Well, their promiscuous father must have been a factor but I'd suggest the primary influence was the limited amount of television to which they were exposed. Sexualisation creates markets and so it's in the interests of television sponsors to make children aware as soon as possible; not through direct advertising but by plot themes and product placement. Since the developers of the programs, films and video games from which children derive much of their self-image are multinational, I don't think physical location makes much of a difference.

I think one would be hard pressed to show a difference in degree of sexualisation of children between western countries. You might, however, be able to show a difference correlating to the level of affluence of the family and so indirectly make a case for emigration in this regard.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
This may be the least "on topic" thread evah so I wouldn't worry about drift.

I understand your concern since I have, or had, a selection of female children and constantly compared their degree of moral decay with that of their cousins in the UK and in rural Ontario. My children were highly sexually aware at nine, possibly earlier, I recall one at age seven making a comparison to Dirty Dancing and another at age nine or so attending school at Halloween dressed as Peg Bundy. Dirty Dancing and Married with Children both featured overt sexuality though I'd argue that the latter was more benign as it fostered understanding of sexual stereotyping and of irony. That the child's peers understood the Peg Bundy costume suggests that my child was not precocious in her knowledge.

Where did the children acquire their awareness? Well, their promiscuous father must have been a factor but I'd suggest the primary influence was the limited amount of television to which they were exposed. Sexualisation creates markets and so it's in the interests of television sponsors to make children aware as soon as possible; not through direct advertising but by plot themes and product placement. Since the developers of the programs, films and video games from which children derive much of their self-image are multinational, I don't think physical location makes much of a difference.

I think one would be hard pressed to show a difference in degree of sexualisation of children between western countries. You might, however, be able to show a difference correlating to the level of affluence of the family and so indirectly make a case for emigration in this regard.
The TV has now been thrown out of the windows and I've burned my husbands X-box lol

Yes you are right it is everywhere, which is such a shame. How long have you been in Canada and did your girls grow up there or the UK? Do you like it over there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.