Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep! That's my feeling about this forum. Makes me wonder why the Canada bashers don't just go home to the UK.
It wouldn't make a difference.

With the internet you can bash Canada from anywhere.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:56 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It wouldn't make a difference.

With the internet you can bash Canada from anywhere.
And you can bash contributors to this forum from anywhere too, even Maryland, which isn't even Britain or Canada.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:13 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
This is BE logic.

If you wish to say something negative about the UK you will be told that there is at least one part of the UK where that does not hold true, therefore the statement is invalid. Take dbd33's post saying that the UK is not crowded as the north Antrim coast has plenty of space.

If you wish to say something positive about Canada you will be told that there is at least one part of Canada where that does not hold true, therefore the statement is invalid. Again using dbd33's example - there cannot be easy access to the wilderness in Canada because it takes a long time from Toronto city centre.

However, if you want to say something negative about Canada then fill your boots. You don't even need to know, or care, if it is true or not.
Nice one...i rarely bother coming on here much anymore...the likes of dbd and his selective and often stupid ponderings have seen to that....
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:16 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

I thought a bit of balance, from someone who actually lives here, might be helpful.
I have much the same views of the place.....
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
Care to compare the crumbling urban decay of Cheltenham with the verdant pastures of Surrey?
Have you even been? Check out crescent beach ....as noted, selective, and misleading tripe which you attempt to pass off as intellect...yawn....
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:26 am
Banned

At the end of the day it comes down to macro or micro views.....not that the UK is all bad nor is all Canada....bit like only having lived in Regina and knocking all Canada or having only lived in Grimsby and knocking all the UK.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:32 am
Banned

My brother glassed someone in Scotland Yard, a bar in Canada, I expect if you've been to Canada you'll know it. The bouncer, Steroid Steve, cut the table off but didn't throw us out. He said that the attack wasn't malicious as shown by his having brought the glass down on the head. They were as accustomed to such events as would be a bouncer in the UK. Perhaps not Bournemouth, mind, I expect they see a lot more in Bournemouth. I'd think twice about a night on the town there.

Vancouver seems an odd choice for someone who enjoys a drinking culture, it's a famously stay-at-home kind of place. Still, wherever you are, there's merit in seeing somewhere else.
Yep all 2.5 million of us stay in, never venture out.....i guess my night at the pub recently complete with idle banter and a meat raffle must have been a dream.....
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

However, being uninformed has never been a barrier to expressing an opinion on BE. Some parts of Cheltenham are much nicer than Surrey. (Let's face it some part of most places are nicer than some parts of Surrey.) However, the nicer part of Surrey will knock spots off Cheltenham if only because Cheltenham's ocean views are somewhat lacking.
made me chuckle that - even in the nicer parts of surrey (Surrey Hills etc) you are still 30 odd miles from the coast you're right though - surrey ahs got some absolute dives in it but even then the chav's at least have the decency to say please and thnakyou when you are being mugged at pub kicking out time

so from reading this thread, I think it can be summarised as the really densely populated parts of England are the same as the really densley populated parts of Canada and the parts of Canada where hardly anyone lives (about 2 1/2 hours from any major cities) are about the same as the parts of the Englans where hardly anyone lives (about 2 1/2 hours from any major cities).

The bits inbetween should be disregarded becasue no one cares about them but the footpaths in the UK are better becasue they allow you to walk between privately owned land however in canada the land isn't really owned by anyone so you can walk where you want...?

Is that it?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
The bits inbetween should be disregarded becasue no one cares about them but the footpaths in the UK are better becasue they allow you to walk between privately owned land however in canada the land isn't really owned by anyone so you can walk where you want...?

Is that it?

Maybe in the west, in Ontario most of the land is privately owned with no public access.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
Nice one...i rarely bother coming on here much anymore...the likes of dbd and his selective and often stupid ponderings have seen to that....
Then I've performed a public service. I'm glad of that.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Maybe in the west, in Ontario most of the land is privately owned with no public access.
Aha - the secret there then is obviously to go for walks on land outside of the cities in Ontario, as from what I have read in this thread - no one lives there anyway so it doesn't matter and shouldn't really be included in any sort of comparison between the two countries
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
Aha - the secret there then is obviously to go for walks on land outside of the cities in Ontario, as from what I have read in this thread - no one lives there anyway so it doesn't matter and shouldn't really be included in any sort of comparison between the two countries
Quite right. The problem being that those parts of Ontario are inconveniently far from the people, them living in one big heap, like ants, so while that idea is viable it's like someone in London taking the dog for a stroll in Normandy.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

In my lifetime, it has always been the case that, on a modest income, one could acquire more consumer durables in North America than in Europe. Europe offers abstract benefits "culture", "family", "friends" but there's no question that one can have more and better vacuum cleaners in North America.

Accordingly, I think Europe is unquestionably better for the young and I'm glad to have seen two of my three born-in-Canada children grow up and move there. North America is perhaps better in middle-age when one loses interest in going out, to pubs, to theatres, even to football matches and comes to value the ability to buy a large television and one of those reclining chairs that come in attractive variations of plaid.
Well I would hardly say that I am old and decrepit being in my late twenties

I don't think you have to be old and boring to want to live in Canada but perhaps are just seeking a more laid back life. I just find the UK is on a slippery slope and it just doesn't appear to be getting better....and yes I am one of them people who wants to give their children a better childhood. They are made to grow up too quick here.

We are also so over crowded it said in the paper that we are now more congested than China I work 13 miles from where I live and it took me an hour and a half to get home tonight...thats an hour and a half I will never see again. I wouldnt mind if it was an occasional thing but everyday I spend at least an hour and a half in traffic for what should be a half hour round journey.........aaahhhhh

So yes the UK does have more cultural things to do for the young.....but judging by the traffic you may well be middle aged before you get there
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Well I would hardly say that I am old and decrepit being in my late twenties

I don't think you have to be old and boring to want to live in Canada but perhaps are just seeking a more laid back life. I just find the UK is on a slippery slope and it just doesn't appear to be getting better....and yes I am one of them people who wants to give their children a better childhood. They are made to grow up too quick here.

We are also so over crowded it said in the paper that we are now more congested than China I work 13 miles from where I live and it took me an hour and a half to get home tonight...thats an hour and a half I will never see again. I wouldnt mind if it was an occasional thing but everyday I spend at least an hour and a half in traffic for what should be a half hour round journey.........aaahhhhh

So yes the UK does have more cultural things to do for the young.....but judging by the traffic you may well be middle aged before you get there
Although I'm reluctant to get involved in the otiose population density debate, I'm puzzled by your reference to China, and by what you mean by congestion.

As far I know, China has not, and never has had, remarkably high population density. Wikipedia currently rates it 80th on the world charts, while the UK is 53rd, but I think is unlikely that China has had higher population density than the UK at any time in recorded history. So, what is the relevance of China?

And what do you mean by congestion?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by Editha
Although I'm reluctant to get involved in the otiose population density debate, I'm puzzled by your reference to China, and by what you mean by congestion.

As far I know, China has not, and never has had, remarkably high population density. Wikipedia currently rates it 80th on the world charts, while the UK is 53rd, but I think is unlikely that China has had higher population density than the UK at any time in recorded history. So, what is the relevance of China?

And what do you mean by congestion?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...han-China.html

Link above from one of todays papers. I am not a population expert I'm afraid so I really couldnt tell you the fluctuations of Chinas population but I gather if we are now being told that we are more congested than them then I gather its because at some point they were more congested than us....

Congestion = Crowded, busy..

Before anyone says I am moaning about the immigrants, I'm not. I'm more concerned with the traffic....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.