Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:32 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Not in BC, where Mr fixyou has gained the experiences and impressions that are being ridiculed.

For example, from downtown Vancouver you can get a bus that will drop you at the edge of the wilderness in less than half an hour. From there you can walk to the Arctic Ocean if you so wish.
No, I'm in Alberta, but the thread does not say "Vancouver pros", it says "Canada pros", so as far as the thread is concerned I live here.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Mr fixyou is an unknown quantity at this point

That's my bad, I should of stated BC as that's where most of my experience has been. Still I'm surprised so many people have said that they disagree with so many of the points I listed. If so many people disagree with the points I've made, what are the reasons for living in Canada?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:53 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou
That's my bad, I should of stated BC as that's where most of my experience has been. Still I'm surprised so many people have said that they disagree with so many of the points I listed. If so many people disagree with the points I've made, what are the reasons for living in Canada?
I can only speak for myself. I'm married to a Canadian, with joint British nationality, who spent 30 years living in the UK. When he was made redundant, in 2004, he was unable to find another job in his field in the UK, but eventually did so in Alberta.

If we could have found any way of staying in the UK, we would have done so, and we will return to the UK as soon as he retires.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
No, I'm in Alberta, but the thread does not say "Vancouver pros", it says "Canada pros", so as far as the thread is concerned I live here.
True enough, the thread title says Canada but the poster was specifically referring to Vancouver and Victoria. Most of what he said is spot on in my experience of living in Metro Vancouver. I thought it worthwhile saying so in amongst all the mocking.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou
That's my bad, I should of stated BC as that's where most of my experience has been. Still I'm surprised so many people have said that they disagree with so many of the points I listed.
This is BE logic.

If you wish to say something negative about the UK you will be told that there is at least one part of the UK where that does not hold true, therefore the statement is invalid. Take dbd33's post saying that the UK is not crowded as the north Antrim coast has plenty of space.

If you wish to say something positive about Canada you will be told that there is at least one part of Canada where that does not hold true, therefore the statement is invalid. Again using dbd33's example - there cannot be easy access to the wilderness in Canada because it takes a long time from Toronto city centre.

However, if you want to say something negative about Canada then fill your boots. You don't even need to know, or care, if it is true or not.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Mr fixyou is an unknown quantity at this point

True enough, the thread title says Canada but the poster was specifically referring to Vancouver and Victoria. Most of what he said is spot on in my experience of living in Metro Vancouver. I thought it worthwhile saying so in amongst all the mocking.
Glad I wasn't too far off!!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

This is BE logic.

If you wish to say something negative about the UK you will be told that there is at least one part of the UK where that does not hold true, therefore the statement is invalid. Take dbd33's post saying that the UK is not crowded as the north Antrim coast has plenty of space.

If you wish to say something positive about Canada you will be told that there is at least one part of Canada where that does not hold true, therefore the statement is invalid. Again using dbd33's example - there cannot be easy access to the wilderness in Canada because it takes a long time from Toronto city centre.

However, if you want to say something negative about Canada then fill your boots. You don't even need to know, or care, if it is true or not.

Now, that should be in the wiki:sunglasses:
Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:29 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Lets be fair, if you do that, every "not here yet" or "only just arrived" will be all over your post like a rabid fat kid with candy...

and there are enough happy in canada "been here a while and know what they're talking about" to ream you a new a**hole if your incorrect...
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is BE logic.

<chuckling>

Not one part of Canada, the part of Canada where the people who need to have jobs live.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Huh? I just chopped out a huge chunk of the friggin' country! I can chop out more and still arrive at a population density much less than that of the UK. How many miles north of the US border do you want to give me? 50? 25?
Originally Posted by JamesM
You are making the point yourself.

You can say anything with statistics.
With one big difference - I'm playing devil's advocate to actually COUNTER my own argument! I'm trying to make Canada look MORE (not less) densely populated than the UK and I'm still failing!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

This is BE logic.

Yep! That's my feeling about this forum. Makes me wonder why the Canada bashers don't just go home to the UK.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Yep! That's my feeling about this forum. Makes me wonder why the Canada bashers don't just go home to the UK.
I can't think of anything more British than bashing where you live.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

A more recent article on overcrowded England:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ning-back.html
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Huh? I just chopped out a huge chunk of the friggin' country! I can chop out more and still arrive at a population density much less than that of the UK. How many miles north of the US border do you want to give me? 50? 25?
"Overcrowded" is British right wing code for too many immigrants. Odd to find contributors to this forum using it.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
"Overcrowded" is British right wing code for too many immigrants. Odd to find contributors to this forum using it.
Ka-ching!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.