Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou
Such as?? I'm more interested in my outdoor sports but I'm not a completely uncultured. I mean how many times can you go to the Tate modern, the science museum, natural history museum or theatre before it gets really boring?

As for the street violence I feel I should clarify. What I'm talking about is the big drinking culture over here (which I do enjoy) and the ensuing punch up when the bars and pubs and clubs kick out. (which I don't) all I can say is that I studied for 5 years with more than a dozen canadians from all over Canada and they all though the uk was a lot more violent. I remember being in a bar with a few of them in Bournemouth when a guy got glassed in the face next to them. They were rightly horrified, more so when I said I saw the same thing happen the previous week.
My brother glassed someone in Scotland Yard, a bar in Canada, I expect if you've been to Canada you'll know it. The bouncer, Steroid Steve, cut the table off but didn't throw us out. He said that the attack wasn't malicious as shown by his having brought the glass down on the head. They were as accustomed to such events as would be a bouncer in the UK. Perhaps not Bournemouth, mind, I expect they see a lot more in Bournemouth. I'd think twice about a night on the town there.

Vancouver seems an odd choice for someone who enjoys a drinking culture, it's a famously stay-at-home kind of place. Still, wherever you are, there's merit in seeing somewhere else.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
There are places that are nice in the UK but unfortunately you would need to be earning a fortune to live there! Trust me they are getting fewer and farther between.

I am still in the UK and have lived in Lancashire, Kent and Hampshire and have travelled around. There are some gorgeous areas, but they are well out of your average persons price range....

Crime is not the only problem here, the UK is now massively over crowded.

Some of those who have left the UK do seem to look back on it with a nostalgia of sort and perhaps remember the UK of old...

Im sure most experience no crime or trouble when visiting, but im sure you are aware, visiting somewhere is not quite the same as living there....just my 2 pence worth
The EXACT same thing more or less applies to Canada. Except for the overcrowding. But then the bits of the UK with low paying or no jobs also tend not to be too crowded too.

Emigrating without a decent paying job in store is more often than not a mugs game. Im not "nostalgic" about the UK, Im just relating the facts about the people I still know that live and work there and adding some experience from an expat perspective. Dont shoot the messenger
Old Nov 21st 2011, 1:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The EXACT same thing more or less applies to Canada. Except for the overcrowding. But then the bits of the UK with low paying or no jobs also tend not to be too crowded too.

Emigrating without a decent paying job in store is more often than not a mugs game.
The UK is overcrowed line gets too much play on here, I think. There are empty bits of the UK, the North Antrim coast, for example is uncrowded and gorgeous, North Wales, the Highlands of Scotland, also attractive and not crammed. They're of limited to use to someone in Wembley because it takes half the night to get to them by car and that's the weekend eaten up, but that's exactly the situation of someone in Toronto who wants some elbow room. It's three or four hours to get clear of the suburbs on a Friday evening and then it's 150 miles to Algonquin.

Yes, if you live in an oil camp you have ready access to tundra but then, if you're a crofter, you have ready access to peat. Most people don't have jobs like that and are stuck in conurbations.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The UK is overcrowed line gets too much play on here, I think. There are empty bits of the UK, the North Antrim coast, for example is uncrowded and gorgeous, North Wales, the Highlands of Scotland, also attractive and not crammed. They're of limited to use to someone in Wembley because it takes half the night to get to them by car and that's the weekend eaten up, but that's exactly the situation of someone in Toronto who wants some elbow room. It's three or four hours to get clear of the suburbs on a Friday evening and then it's 150 miles to Algonquin.

Yes, if you live in an oil camp you have ready access to tundra but then, if you're a crofter, you have ready access to peat. Most people don't have jobs like that and are stuck in conurbations.
Yes there are always exceptions because the whole country hasn't been concreted over yet. However the UK is a relatively densely populated country and one of the most densely populated in Europe (behind only smaller countries such as Belgium, Holland, Monaco, Malta, San Marino and Vatican City). The UK's population density is much higher than the likes of Italy, Portugal, and Spain and it's twice that of France. Only Germany of the larger European countries comes close to the UK numbers but the UK wins that one too. Also, England is by far the most densely populated part of the UK. The numbers for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are much lower.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 2:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yes there are always exceptions because the whole country hasn't been concreted over yet. However the UK is a relatively densely populated country and one of the most densely populated in Europe (behind only smaller countries such as Belgium, Holland, Monaco, Malta, San Marino and Vatican City). The UK's population density is much higher than the likes of Italy, Portugal, and Spain and it's twice that of France. Only Germany of the larger European countries comes close to the UK numbers but the UK wins that one too. Also, England is by far the most densely populated part of the UK. The numbers for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland are much lower.
Similarly, Canada overall has a low population density but most of the people live along the border with the US and most of those live between Oshawa and Detroit. The population density in the Beach is not wildly different from that in Wembley and the barriers to reaching the countryside are greater in Canada since there's little in the way of public transport.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr fixyou
UK cons

Quality of life

Levels of violence on the streets

Can't get away from people and into the great outdoors because we have so little of it left and every Tom, dick, and Harry is out there on the weekend!

There is nothing to do here!!!!!
Cough! Splutter! Did I just read on another thread that you live at the edge of the Cotswolds?!

Apologies for trotting out the old cliche, but perhaps you should put down the Daily Mail and go outside and look with your own eyes.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Similarly, Canada overall has a low population density but most of the people live along the border with the US and most of those live between Oshawa and Detroit. The population density in the Beach is not wildly different from that in Wembley and the barriers to reaching the countryside are greater in Canada since there's little in the way of public transport.
Yes, you can draw isolated comparisons to make whatever argument you want. Yes, Canada is a bit of an anomaly in that most of the land mass is pretty much uninhabitable and most of the population lives within 100 miles of the US border. Even then I bet it still has a much lower population density than the UK.

The US is a better comparison because, unlike Canada, the population is more evenly distributed north, south, east and west. The UK's population density is at least 20 times that of the US.

North America in general is just not as densely populated as Europe (even if you just consider the habitable parts). And the UK (and especially England) is one of Europe's most densely populated countries.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:16 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Cough! Splutter! Did I just read on another thread that you live at the edge of the Cotswolds?!

Apologies for trotting out the old cliche, but perhaps you should put down the Daily Mail and go outside and look with your own eyes.
Exactly - unless he lives on Hester's Way in Cheltenham, I doubt he's ensconced in depravity.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can draw isolated comparisons to make whatever argument you want. Yes, Canada is a bit of an anomaly in that most of the land mass is pretty much uninhabitable and most of the population lives within 100 miles of the US border. Even then I bet it still has a much lower population density than the UK.

The US is a better comparison because, unlike Canada, the population is more evenly distributed north, south, east and west. The UK's population density is at least 20 times that of the US.

North America in general is just not as densely populated as Europe (even if you just consider the habitable parts). And the UK (and especially England) is one of Europe's most densely populated countries.
If you live in a city or town the population density is going to be more or less the same. London vs Toronto, Small town vs small town, middle of nowhere vs middle of nowhere...

What matters is access to the countryside. If you live in a city, then there is going to be traffic to deal with to escape it. I live in the countryside more or less, but as far as access to the countryside goes, you really cant beat the UK for footpaths and rights of way. Outside of narrow corridors like the abandoned rail trails in my area, if you want access here in Canada more often than not you are looking at a long trip to a true wilderness area if the local smaller provincial parks and conservation areas are too restrictive.

If on the other hand you want to ski, then Canada is better for that.

Canada is not a magic bullet for the down side of modern urban life. Ive "escaped" the urban rat race, but as a family we spend nearly $500 a month on petrol as a consequence of that.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 21st 2011 at 3:25 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The US is a better comparison
and it's interesting to contrast with Australia, but that has bugger all to do with the access to the countryside of the average person in the UK vs. the same in Canada.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Mr fixyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

I don't read the daily mail, I try to stick to broadsheets or at least the daily star

As for living in Cheltenham, I'm not from hesters way, I grew up in the other end of town around Montpellier. As for it being a nice place to live, it's not bad there's certainly worse areas in the uk. But I will say this, I've been back in Cheltenham for a year after 10 years away. In that time I've seen 2 stabbings in the town centre at night (one was two women fighting, one got stabbed) a friend of mine was murdered and I've lost count of the number of people I've seen getting started on in the town centre. So it's not quite how you'd imagine a nice well to do regency spa town to be. Still it could be worse, it could be Gloucester!
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

and it's interesting to contrast with Australia, but that has bugger all to do with the access to the countryside of the average person in the UK vs. the same in Canada.
Here's an interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-Europe.html

Now let's look at the "real" population density of Canada. Let's assume that the border with the "lower 48" US states (I'm ignoring the border with Alaska) is about 4000 miles long and that the population of Canada lives within 100 miles of that border. They all don't but let's assume they do even though it will make the population density appear higher than it really is.

4000 miles x 100 miles = 400000 sq miles of habitable space.

Canada's population is about 34 million.

So based on these numbers, the population density in this habitable space is 34,000,000 people divided by 400000 sq miles which equals 85 people per square mile.

The population density of the UK is about 630 people per square mile. In England, it's 1000+ per square mile.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 21st 2011 at 3:45 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...in-Europe.html

Now let's look at the "real" population density of Canada. Let's assume that the border with the "lower 48" US states (I'm ignoring the border with Alaska) is about 4000 miles long and that the population of Canada lives within 100 miles of that border. They all don't but let's assume they do even though it will make the population density appear higher than it really is.

4000 miles x 100 miles = 400000 sq miles of habitable space.

Canada's population is about 34 million.

So based on these numbers, the population density in this habitable space is 34,000,000 people divided by 400000 sq miles which equals 85 people per square mile.

The population density of the UK is about 630 people per square mile. In England, it's 1000+ per square mile.
That rather overlooks the reality of the geography here. People are not strung evenly along 3000 miles of border, they are packed into towns and cities here and there. Especially in the "Golden Horseshoe" where most of the population of Canadas most populous province lives.

Yes, canada has vast areas of space, but for the most part its all a long way away from where people can live and find decent work, just like the UK, only farther away probably. Besides, with only two weeks vacation who has time to do anything with it anyway... At least in the UK you are only a cheap flight away from somewhere less crowded.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 21st 2011 at 3:56 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The UK's population density is much higher than the likes of Italy, Portugal, and Spain and it's twice that of France.
Italy, Spain and France have a high proportion of rural de-population with large swathes of agricultural land virtually empty population wise (the actual farmers often live in the nearby towns) and little in the way of rural non-farm population.

Many towns, cities in Italy, Spain, France have populations that are almost entirely in apartments with detached homes or semis with lawns a rarity.

I think the biggest thing to look at is urban density...other than a few tower blocks in the bigger cities, the UK urban density is lower than Italy, Spain, France where apartments or multi-family units are built to the edge of the town and then it is straight into farmland...something you will not find in a Canadian urban setting
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
That rather overlooks the reality of the geography here. Especially in the "Golden Horseshoe" where most of the population of Canadas most populous province lives.

Yes, canada has vast areas of space, but for the most part its all a long way away from where people can live and find decent work. Besides, with only two weeks vacation who has time to do anything with it anyway...
Huh? I just chopped out a huge chunk of the friggin' country! I can chop out more and still arrive at a population density much less than that of the UK. How many miles north of the US border do you want to give me? 50? 25?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.