Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 6:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't own a PVR or whatever they are as i don't really watch too much telly. One thing i don't like when i do watch stuff is the lack of continuity the adverts through the shows cause.
Oh, I bet this is a huge problem. Instead of five minutes of adverts there's a five minute leap forward in the action. It'd only work for the most superficial viewing. Do you mainly watch Cheech and Chong, Steve_?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:58 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Then, of course, when the show does come back from an ad break here, they put a bloody great caption advertising some other show across the bottom of the screen, obscuring something that might have some relevance to the plot - a document, letter, photo of a suspect or something.

Imagine reading a book and at the start of a chapter, some text is covered up with an ad for another book.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 1:28 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Then, of course, when the show does come back from an ad break here, they put a bloody great caption advertising some other show across the bottom of the screen, obscuring something that might have some relevance to the plot - a document, letter, photo of a suspect or something.

Imagine reading a book and at the start of a chapter, some text is covered up with an ad for another book.
The only reason i pay for cable is for MotoGP and World Superbikes. I'm cancelling after this weekend as the coverage is appalling. The commentators are crap and the number of ad breaks is highly annoying. There tends to be at least 6 to 8 add breaks during a one hour showing and many of these are during the exciting parts. Then when it returns after the break you miss a few more seconds of action due to those captions advertising more stuff.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason i pay for cable is for MotoGP and World Superbikes....and the number of ad breaks is highly annoying.
You should change to football. At least you get a clear 45 minutes x two.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Not to mention the way the volume is increased when they go to a commercial break.........the 'Mute' button gets more use than any other......
Old Nov 4th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So. you'd rather the 401 wasn't snow ploughed?
Is that why they can't have snow ploughs?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Is that why they can't have snow ploughs?
Some people, myself included, believe that it is possible to have both snow ploughs and cat's eyes but, yes, perceived incompatibility is the reason that the 401 is not ploughed and, instead, really tall cat's eyes are used to tower above the accumulated snow.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is the key point here that the machine comes from the cable company? The same cable company that supplies the internet? If so, it's not a differentiator, Alan's still watching TV as much as you are.
Only if you consider having a landline from said company the same thing as well. Haven't watched much telly on it lately.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_
Only if you consider having a landline from said company the same thing as well. Haven't watched much telly on it lately.
We do. In fact, all the television we watch comes that way. No adverts at all.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

What on a digital landline?

I know it's the same coax but it's not the same service. Which is why they're listed separately on the bill.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_
What on a digital landline?
Dunno. It's a wire, strung from poles, that goes into the house and along the skirting board. It ends at a box and there's the option to plug a telephone into the other side of the box; if you do that voices come out. We don't get voices, we get episodes of True Blood.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
But you are looking to move to Canada (again) to escape these perceived issues, when there are places a lot closer to home that you could try. Doesnt have to be Beds, my brother in Surrey, 30 mins from the city, also wouldnt recognise your description. Of course, thats not a cheap place to live, but then neither is Vancouver either.

FWIW many of my old mans neighbours commute the 1hr to London daily
There are places that are nice in the UK but unfortunately you would need to be earning a fortune to live there! Trust me they are getting fewer and farther between.

I am still in the UK and have lived in Lancashire, Kent and Hampshire and have travelled around. There are some gorgeous areas, but they are well out of your average persons price range....

Crime is not the only problem here, the UK is now massively over crowded.

Some of those who have left the UK do seem to look back on it with a nostalgia of sort and perhaps remember the UK of old...

Im sure most experience no crime or trouble when visiting, but im sure you are aware, visiting somewhere is not quite the same as living there....just my 2 pence worth
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
I am still in the UK

...but im sure you are aware, visiting somewhere is not quite the same as living there....
Hope you enjoyed your visits to Canada :sunglasses:
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Hope you enjoyed your visits to Canada :sunglasses:
Thank you El_Richo, but I have not actually visited Canada yet.

I am not trying to say that Canada is better than the UK, how could I possible know I haven't even visited let alone lived there, but I wouldn't mind finding out.

All I know is that the UK to me just doesn't feel like a very safe place right and seems to be getting worse.

But hey ho one mans heaven another mans hell and all that. Suppose it all depends on what you want out of life.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Thank you El_Richo, but I have not actually visited Canada yet.

I am not trying to say that Canada is better than the UK, how could I possible know I haven't even visited let alone lived there, but I wouldn't mind finding out.

All I know is that the UK to me just doesn't feel like a very safe place right and seems to be getting worse.

But hey ho one mans heaven another mans hell and all that. Suppose it all depends on what you want out of life.
It depends where you end up living here too.
I live in a small town hundreds of kilometers from a city so it's like going back in time. We only lock the back door at night because it's logical rather than because we feel we need to.
Our 6 year old plays on the street without me worrying about him and his school had even suggested he could walk home on his own!!! Only a block or so...
Whereas in the large cities there is bound to be more to worry about, even from the point of view of the traffic for example.
I feel safer walking around town after dark here than I did in the UK but that could quite simply be because I live in the back of beyond now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.