Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
I was talking specifically about London though. Not Oxshott or Maidenhead...
Who's talking about Oxshott or Maidenhead? I'm talking Dulwich, where you lived and had issues and i didn't see any.

What i'm saying is that unless you move to an exact replica of where you lived, comparisons will always be skewed. Most people choose to emigrate to a nicer, and more often, different type of area.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:15 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Who's talking about Oxshott or Maidenhead? I'm talking Dulwich, where you lived and had issues and i didn't see any.

What i'm saying is that unless you move to an exact replica of where you lived, comparisons will always be skewed. Most people choose to emigrate to a nicer, and more often, different type of area.

Good for you. And I don't live in dissimilar area now. And there is significantly less crime.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:53 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Good for you. And I don't live in dissimilar area now. And there is significantly less crime.
Good for you

Last edited by el_richo; Oct 28th 2011 at 4:05 pm. Reason: Meh
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:03 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
. For street crime, don't know stats but I'm guessing that the UK's worse..
From what I remember posting on other threads, the per 100,000 rate for Canada is higher, but you would find it more regionally concentrated.

I believe this is partly due to the rough end of town and the posh end of town in the UK running across each other as both will use the centre of town for evening entertainment, in north e America the evening hangout of different types tend to be in spate parts of town, meaning the groups don’t run into each other and become less visible to each other.

The other reason I believe the street crime is higher is partly due to the higher drug issues here, along with the organized crime aspect that goes with the many biker gangs, and in some cities the disenfranchised native issues, many Brits will never even get close to the areas where these groups operate, much of it is so common it no longer makes headlines, apart from maybe aggregate number of deaths etc
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This just isn't true at all. A large number people on this forum still have access to UK TV and watch it regularly. I know I do and I say Canadian TV is shit in comparison. Sure most UK TV is shit, but the shit ratio here is much much higher.
But it's not a fair comparison because you have two things rather than one. You may think it's shit but how much of it do you watch? Because if you watch any of it then it's no longer a direct comparison.

I used to watch some British TV when I first moved here over the internet, don't bother anymore. Anything that is actually good gets bought by a network over here anyway. The time difference makes it pointless as well.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Anything that is actually good gets bought by a network over here
has holes cut in it for the relentless adverts and is shown in random order. Better to wait for the video than pay to see the program poorly delivered.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Where does all this happen?
I'm not trying to convince myself, the area of the UK where I'm from had really bad crime problems. No doubt I could have moved to an area of the UK that had less crime, I don't dispute that point, but overall the UK definitely has worse problems with property crime and general public disorder (e.g. drunks) than Canada.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Cyan
In my first 5 years here in Canada, each time I went back to UK I was full of positive sentiments about the place, but after 5 years here, things changed.
Agree on that one, also I think it depends on the context of why you are there. I usually go for business purposes so it's a different experience than some nice family visit or whatever.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:31 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by dbd33
has holes cut in it for the relentless adverts and is shown in random order. Better to wait for the video than pay to see the program poorly delivered.
Well I realize you can watch some of this stuff on the BBC iPlayer or whatever, but if it's not in front of you, you don't become aware of it. The only UK TV show I've become aware of since living here that was any good is The Inbetweeners and I can stand to watch Law & Order: UK. Both of which are on TV here anyway.

But based on my recent visit there was nothing much on that I liked, but then I never was keen on British TV even when I lived there.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Because if you watch any of it then it's no longer a direct comparison.
The only way to make a direct comparison is to watch both. Local TV is mainly shit. You think otherwise which is fair enough; each to their own and all that.

The time difference makes it pointless as well.
Only if you watch live - and who does that now-a-days?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
I hear you, dbd33; that's one of my pet peeves too!!! You think you are watching a series, and then all of a sudden they throw in an episode from a totally different season!

I give up and wait for it to show up on Netflix or Blinx.tv I also think Canada only bought 5 episodes of Law and Order - UK it's ALWAYS one we have seen already

I sometimes wonder if it would be more cost effective getting rid of the cable TV and upping the broadband to unlimited; and watch everything online instead!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsr0binson
I sometimes wonder if it would be more cost effective getting rid of the cable TV and upping the broadband to unlimited; and watch everything online instead!
Done.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Only if you watch live - and who does that now-a-days?
Which means you're not watching it, you're watching bits and pieces of it via the internet and mainly watching Canadian TV from the sounds of it. The internet is the internet, TV is TV. (Even if you happen to be using the internet on your TV).

My experience is from sitting down of a night in front of Canadian TV provided by Shaw cable that it is superior to being sat in front of a TV with service provided by Sky or the supposed "freeview" which isn't free.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:02 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsr0binson
Antenna Best of both worlds.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:11 pm
Beep

My experience is from sitting down of a night in front of Canadian TV provided by Shaw cable that it is superior to being sat in front of a TV with service provided by Sky
In what way?

Is Modern Family any better on Shaw than Sky?

Is Boardwalk Empire more exciting on Shaw than Sky?

And so on....

I thought the argument was Canadian TV Versus UK TV, not TV in Canada Versus TV in the UK.

The latter is pretty much the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.