Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So. you'd rather the 401 wasn't snow ploughed?
Well, ok, fluorescent road markings or what have you. Just dangerous driving at night when it's raining.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

The traffic was the same as it was 4yrs ago, the journey from Gatwick to Camberley was stop start and there are lots more speed cameras (average speed thingys) that have been installed since 2007.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Danny B, I departed Woking in February of this year.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by magnumpi
No, i missed the grid lock this weekend down town.

stafford services and spagetti junction?
Stafford services are pretty nice these days. At least they have services in uk. Oh and John Lewis
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:38 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

One thing i noticed when i went back was how fast everything and everybody moves..you have to re-engage your brain..people think and talk a lot quicker in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Crowded, and lots of miserable people, everyone is in a rush. But beautiful green countryside, lots of access to it, and the pubs are great. So much history, lots of activities close by to do, but it seems expensive to me.

The friends and family that remain there live happy lives, although one or two moan about points 1&2, but for me I am happy in Canada.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not long back from a 17 day trip to Scotland, England & Wales visiting family and friends. Great to get back to see everyone however apart from things like green fields, scenery, historical sites etc, nothing would induce me to return to live. Lots of doom and gloom around from what I saw and heard in conversations with a number of people from all walks of life. Most are of the opinion that things, particularly economically will get a lot worse before they get better. Spent some time hill walking in the Peak District, visiting the country pubs along the way however everyday life was far from that.

Traffic was just as bad and driving habits if anything seemed to have deteriorated but still along way to go before they descend into the 'Norm' that one finds in such as the GTA, 401 etc. Most things seem to have gotten pretty expensive so we bought very little other than essentials. Spent most on eating out etc which has become really pricey since my last visit in 2008....including 'Pub Grub' which for the most part was good quality but not so much a cheap alternative as it used to be.

This is just our take on the trip...my Canadian wife was horrified at the price of most things....saying 'I would not pay that in Dollars never mind Pounds' on many occasions seeing the ticket price...even taking into consideration the 20% VAT.

Be a few years before we return so better get saving up.....
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I don't live in the same part of the UK that you lot visit - it sounds awful.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Miserable people. LOTS of miserable people
Its just not the same here with you lot over there

Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm glad I don't live in the same part of the UK that you lot visit - it sounds awful.
Either that or their Canadian acquaintances are all pepped up on happy pills.

I do like the fact that people are moaning about miserable people

Last edited by el_richo; Oct 24th 2011 at 3:16 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:21 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
Well, ok, fluorescent road markings or what have you. Just dangerous driving at night when it's raining.
Some like to think stuck in the past..

Me, I remember Sweden, Germany and parts of Scotland had working "plough proof" reflective road markings before I left Europe over 10 yrs ago...

Still Canada always takes a while to catch up...
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Either that or their Canadian acquaintances are all pepped up on happy pills.

I do like the fact that people are moaning about miserable people
My most profound apologies for telling it as I found/saw it....not necessarily how it is for everyone else.....
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Me, I remember Sweden, Germany and parts of Scotland had working "plough proof" reflective road markings before I left Europe over 10 yrs ago...

There are cat's eyes on a number of roads in Grey County, Grey 14 for example, that's north of 89 and so very much in the snow belt. Perhaps the plough driver leaves a little ridge of snow up the middle of the road, perhaps he jumps our and uses a trowel to tidy around the cat's eyes, or perhaps ploughs and cat's eyes have been compatible for yonks.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:25 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
No, i missed the grid lock this weekend down town.

Now, question is, would you rather be looking out at the CN tower and lake ont while sat in a jam, or, stafford services and spagetti junction?
I look out at those from my condo- after the first week the novelty value was long gone.

The fact of the matter is I couldn't leave for two days because of all the traffic.

They would never shut the highway in the UK for two days.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:29 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

Libya will be past Canada in a few years.....
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:55 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
My most profound apologies for telling it as I found/saw it....not necessarily how it is for everyone else.....
Apology accepted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.