Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

gillan85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

It would interesting to know, what are the things you notice most when you return for a visit back to the UK?...Do any instances or events/ reminders confirm that you made the right decision to emigrate to Canada... Please share.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your observations when visiting UK from Canada !

UK= Lush green landscape. Sense of permanence and history.
Road that have curves in them and a decent smooth surface.
Culture.
Excellent supply of curry houses, decent bacon and sausages and fresh fish.
The ability to walk out of a pharmacy with a bag full of prescribed medicine without having to get a loan

but also(rather less good UK attributes): shoddy customer service,
Lacks the convenience of north america (esp drive thru starbucks)
relatively poor supply of A&W rootbeer
and absolutely NO old dutch ketchup chips.
Traffic congestion
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
UK= Lush green landscape. Sense of permanence and history.
Road that have curves in them and a decent smooth surface.
Culture.
Excellent supply of curry houses, decent bacon and sausages and fresh fish.
The ability to walk out of a pharmacy with a bag full of prescribed medicine without having to get a loan

but also(rather less good UK attributes): shoddy customer service,
Lacks the convenience of north america (esp drive thru starbucks)
and absolutely NO old dutch ketchup chips.
Traffic congestion
Being able to go for a country walk.

Pleasant commercial buildings, or at least not unpleasant to look it, not acres of ugly one storey warehouses.

Electric and phone lines buried underground instead of strung from poles like in a third world country.

Well maintained roads.

Cheap(er) food, wide choice, and better quality. Back bacon! Cheese that is affordable! Kippers. Smoked haddock. Fruit cake. Tunnocks teacakes. Candy shrimps. Potted shrimps. Ginger wine. Cheap alcohol.

Absence of gargantuan, fume spewing, pickup trucks.

Population with wide range of cultural references and vocabulary of more than 100 words.

Fewer homeless people, and fewer of them drunk or dangerously mentally ill.

Low crime rate. No shops selling Bowie knives, opening late at night, so you can finish that fight after the pubs close.

An efficient, relatively intelligent, relatively uncorrupted police force.

Shop assistants who leave you alone to make your own choices.

Weekly shop that takes 1 hr, not 3, if you include the drive and walk round ginormous stores, and is relatively enjoyable experience, compared with exhausting dispiriting slog.

Libraries relatively crap compared with Canada.

No granola.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Pro's for UK:
Family-being able to pop over for a cuppa.
Being able to buy food you enjoy and miss and more importantly having choice- in Canada all supermarkets or most of 'em are owned by one company = no choice.
Decent inexpensive pub food.
Being ahead and up to date in technology.

Observations/Cons for UK:
Parking is a nightmare and seeing people squabbling over parking outside there own house
Government thinks cars are a dirty word and taxes accordingly in gas prices
Crime appears high not safe to walk by yourself at night
People seem really stressed out and working all hours to satisfy employer as they are worried about losing their jobs.
Being jammed in like sardines housing wise.

Pros for Canada:
Space around you
Being able to drive to USA for shopping-close by
Healthcare is a little better than UK I believe based on my experience.

Cons for Canada:
No family here, gets lonely.
Taking 3-4 hours out of a Saturday to do grocery shopping cos of distances!
Prices of hydro,car insurance,heating
Feeling like you are living in the 60's and out of it!
Winter- I hate it!

Last edited by shelley748; Oct 23rd 2011 at 6:39 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:05 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

The very first thing I noticed when I touched down at LGW after 4yrs away was the miserable airport staff. Everyone I spoke to from immigration to the lady behind the rent a car place was miserable.

The traffic was the same as it was 4yrs ago, the journey from Gatwick to Camberley was stop start and there are lots more speed cameras (average speed thingys) that have been installed since 2007.

People in my old town were as miserable as ever, with inflation at 5.2% and unemployment at nearly 8% I can't say I blame them.

If it were not for my family I would have never gone back, bloody waste of money if you ask me, I would have rather met them in Spain and skipped the UK all together.

All the things I initially missed about the UK I have forgotten about now, I come back here every now and again to see who is still about and download a few good British TV shows but that's about it.

Unfortunately the next time I will be going back will be for funerals...depressing thought I know.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:06 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Surely that should be a UK plus! Awful stuff - tastes like mouthwash mixed with Venos cough syrup!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Being able to go for a country walk.

Pleasant commercial buildings, or at least not unpleasant to look it, not acres of ugly one storey warehouses.

Electric and phone lines buried underground instead of strung from poles like in a third world country.

Well maintained roads.

Cheap(er) food, wide choice, and better quality. Back bacon! Cheese that is affordable! Kippers. Smoked haddock. Fruit cake. Tunnocks teacakes. Candy shrimps. Potted shrimps. Ginger wine. Cheap alcohol.

Absence of gargantuan, fume spewing, pickup trucks.

Population with wide range of cultural references and vocabulary of more than 100 words.

Fewer homeless people, and fewer of them drunk or dangerously mentally ill.

Low crime rate. No shops selling Bowie knives, opening late at night, so you can finish that fight after the pubs close.

An efficient, relatively intelligent, relatively uncorrupted police force.

Shop assistants who leave you alone to make your own choices.

Weekly shop that takes 1 hr, not 3, if you include the drive and walk round ginormous stores, and is relatively enjoyable experience, compared with exhausting dispiriting slog.

Libraries relatively crap compared with Canada.

No granola.
Very polite people.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

A much better selection of retail products for cheaper.

TV that is entertaining and funny.

No sweet potato fries.

Having to elbow your way to the bar.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

endlessblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Went back two weeks ago:

Uk Pro's:

Fantastic green countryside
Lots of interesting buildings and history
Great curry + alcohol

Uk Cons:

People seemed a bit depressed, starting in Gatwick Airport! (What Danny B also commented on)
Bad customer service
Lots of narrow roads, with parked cars on them

Last edited by endlessblue; Oct 23rd 2011 at 10:44 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:03 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Smaller, miserable people, rain, M6 traffic jam, M62 traffic jam, M25 traffic jam, dirty streets, expensive.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Smaller, miserable people, rain, M6 traffic jam, M62 traffic jam, M25 traffic jam, dirty streets, expensive.
You obviously spent no time in Toronto this weekend.

The Gardiner was shut going west bound rendering Spadina and all roads of it into a permanent state of grid lock for almost two days solid.

I've never seen such aggessive, rude and awful driving.

They need to introduce yellow and black no stopping grid's here like in the UK and camera's to shoot those who fail to comply.

Not only would it help eradicate grid lock but it would top up the coffers of the city.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

The Gardiner was shut going west bound rendering Spadina and all roads of it into a permanent state of grid lock for almost two days solid.

They need to introduce yellow and black no stopping grid's here like in the UK and camera's to shoot those who fail to comply.

Not only would it help eradicate grid lock but it would top up the coffers of the city.
They have cats eyes in Britain. Holy shit, they need them on the 401.
Telly is better in the UK. Many things are cheaper there too.
Pretty much everything else (at the moment at least) is worse in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:38 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
They have cats eyes in Britain. Holy shit, they need them on the 401.
Telly is better in the UK. Many things are cheaper there too.
Pretty much everything else (at the moment at least) is worse in the UK.
So. you'd rather the 401 wasn't snow ploughed?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I've just returned from 2 weeks in the UK. These were my observations:

Miserable people. LOTS of miserable people everywhere I looked.
Narrow roads (boy, did I forget how narrow some of the roads are!)
Rolling hills and lush green countryside
No mountains
General shopping (ie groceries) is much cheaper
Pretty lingerie (which I stocked up on )
Great Indian Restaurants
Cash Converter shops are taking over everywhere
Debenhams (oh how I love that place!)

I love where I live now and can happily live without the things I miss. I am surrounded by beautiful scenery here on my doorstep. I just need to learn how to cook a decent curry and I'm good!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:41 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

No, i missed the grid lock this weekend down town.

Now, question is, would you rather be looking out at the CN tower and lake ont while sat in a jam, or, stafford services and spagetti junction?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.