British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   your first xmas in vancouver this is for u (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/your-first-xmas-vancouver-u-414085/)

cov lad Dec 17th 2006 3:37 am

your first xmas in vancouver this is for u

attention

seen as i was here in van this time last year , i thought i should give this info to you the new comers as this is your first christmas ,
ok now i was corrected by many people and the media that wew are not allowed to say these forbidden word merry/happy christmas ,
apparently too many people get offended so we have to say seasons greetings

do any of you remember what red ken done in london i think he done something like this

but me i say merry christmas to all you expats who celebrate xmas

so new comers just be wary who you say it to
i did have the experince not a nice one when someone corrected me .
i just smirked :D and said bye

Novocastrian Dec 17th 2006 4:13 am

Re: your first xmas in vancouver this is for u

Originally Posted by cov lad
attention

seen as i was here in van this time last year , i thought i should give this info to you the new comers as this is your first christmas ,
ok now i was corrected by many people and the media that wew are not allowed to say these forbidden word merry/happy christmas ,

do any of you remember what red ken done in london i think he done something like this

Not really worthy of a reply. I can only hope that by next year you are more settled in to where you have chosen to spend the next part of your life. If not, not goodbye and good luck.

cov lad Dec 17th 2006 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not really worthy of a reply. I can only hope that by next year you are more settled in to where you have chosen to spend the next part of your life. If not, not goodbye and good luck.

novocastrian i am settled in as much as the nx person who has moved from another country
dont get me wrong but i was so used to saying one thing and then corrected so abrutly that we dont such things here , i guess there are more toes to step on here .
and the meaning red ken in london

well i think it was last year or the year before ken who is (i think still is ) the mayor of london annouced that it will be seasons greetings not merry christmas .
yes there were a lot of unhappy people ,
so basically i am saying but not agreeing is that the PC word is seasons greeting so i ahave lead to belive ..

no offence to anyone where ever we live we have to watch what we say.
even if there is a very very small chance of hurting someones feelings, :o
i just said the truth and if the truth hurts then well what ever ,

so

Alberta_Rose Dec 17th 2006 4:55 pm

Poppycock!

Grah Dec 17th 2006 6:35 pm

novocastrian i am settled in as much as the nx person who has moved from another country
dont get me wrong but i was so used to saying one thing and then corrected so abrutly that we dont such things here , i guess there are more toes to step on here .
and the meaning red ken in london

well i think it was last year or the year before ken who is (i think still is ) the mayor of london annouced that it will be seasons greetings not merry christmas .
yes there were a lot of unhappy people ,
so basically i am saying but not agreeing is that the PC word is seasons greeting so i ahave lead to belive ..

no offence to anyone where ever we live we have to watch what we say.
even if there is a very very small chance of hurting someones feelings, :o
i just said the truth and if the truth hurts then well what ever ,

so

I say happy Christmas and when told it's not PC I just say I'm offened that I'm not allowed to celebrate my cultural and religous rights.

printer Dec 17th 2006 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Poppycock!

Oh now i know what PC means. :D :D :D

jempee Dec 17th 2006 7:05 pm

cov lad, not to worry just novo and printer winding others up again.

I spoke to an expat of 25 years who said that he still refuses to say happy holidays etc and always says merry/happy christmas.

printer Dec 17th 2006 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by jempee
cov lad, not to worry just novo and printer winding others up again.

I spoke to an expat of 25 years who said that he still refuses to say happy holidays etc and always says merry/happy christmas.

Who me? Never. I merely responded to Morwennas post. :D

Gezza Dec 17th 2006 8:10 pm

attention

Merry Christmas to you cov lad!
My thought would be: Next time they complain just ask if they could kindly introduce you to one of those who personally get offended because you would like to have their religious objections to "Merry Christmas" explained to you directly. :rolleyes:

Daedra Dec 17th 2006 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by printer
Oh now i know what PC means. :D :D :D

I have SEEEN the light! The light is bright and the light spells out <CENSORED> (this response has been hijacked for your own protection as it implied religous conotations unsavory to the digital age) :p :D

printer Dec 18th 2006 9:22 am

I wanted to send out some sort of holiday greeting, but it is so difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my solicitor, and on his advice I wish to say the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2007, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Great Britain great (not to imply that Great Britain is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "Great Britain" in the northern hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual preference of the wishes.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Disclaimer: No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced

ontres Dec 18th 2006 1:59 pm

I wanted to send out some sort of holiday greeting, but it is so difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my solicitor, and on his advice I wish to say the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2007, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Great Britain great (not to imply that Great Britain is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "Great Britain" in the northern hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual preference of the wishes.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually
implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Disclaimer: No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced

I'm suing you for splitting my sides.

Alberta_Rose Dec 18th 2006 2:04 pm

That's terrific! :D

Did you make it up or find it somewhere in the ether? Very good. :D

May I send it to all my friends and family and anyone else who knows me? :p

printer Dec 18th 2006 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Morwenna
That's terrific! :D

Did you make it up or find it somewhere in the ether? Very good. :D

May I send it to all my friends and family and anyone else who knows me? :p

You can do whatever you like with it, just don't mention my name. :D

It came to me today by e mail and seemed very appropriate for this thread.

sans Dec 18th 2006 9:06 pm

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

And a very merry christmas to you to :D