Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

YOUR economic outlook?

YOUR economic outlook?

Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YOUR economic outlook?

35 years in Canada. Laid off 2 years ago from graphic arts IT job with daily newspaper in Edmonton after 30 years, jobs were offshored to Asia. Local printing companies are also suffering from 300 in 1978 down to 70 today.
Some of the people I worked with are now working part time in places such as Rona or Home Depot.
Pension from my former company is underfunded by 30%. From what I have read over 93% of pension plans in Canada are underfunded.
My wife (works for the federal government) is in the process of being laid off.
Lady next door who worked in admin for Telus was laid off (job offshored to India) best she could find was a $10 an hour job.
Most of the people I mentioned (including myself) were over 50.
Time to take the Greyhound to Fort McMoney.

Now if I was just 20 again:

<snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 29th 2012 at 10:39 am. Reason: Link removed
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

For me - I have a part time job that I enjoy in catering
For Oh - he has a part time job which means he has to drive over the Malahat 3 days a week which is lovely in the right season!

We came here as very early retiree's so we're enjoying what we have for now
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by siouxie
I'm an administrator with experience of office management and book-keeping but have applied for everything from check-out girl, sales assistant, shelf stocker to clerical assistant, book-keeper, administrative assistant and everything and anything else I can do with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on... it's very frustrating. I have also registered with all the agencies in town, employment services and have walked around with resume in hand giving it out to anyone who would give me 5 minutes of their time.

For me changing province isn't an option at present, my son and I bought a house together and without a job I won't be able to get another mortgage, he left his life in England to join me and he is very happy (and employed) in Ontario so I wouldn't feel very happy about having to relocate - I just got my son back after 9 years!

Well, that brought a tear to my eye - I hear ya
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I work part time casual, I can have six shifts one week and then none for a couple of weeks, so far it's averaged out ok but I have no guarantee of any work. MOH has full time work for 4 months of the year, will be on EI in January and taking whatever work comes up through an agency at minimum wage. It's been pretty much the same since we arrived 6 years ago.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:22 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

As head cook, chief bottle washer, duster flicker, ironing lady, personal shopper, and lady what lunches. I think my job is secure for the foreseeable future.

OH is " The Boss" so unless he sacks him self, or people stop relocating all around the world, he should be fine as well.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the Immigration thread Id say my outlook is pretty secure
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:41 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

In my case, ON and in my line of work....

Answering from the bottom up

- I have job security, so don't fear job loss

- I am on a yearly wage increase at my rank until promotion to the next, and the same continues at that rank

- Nice pension at the end

- Lots of out of country travel

Originally Posted by ann m
Following on from the "Canada recession looming" thread, I wondered what YOUR economic outlook is for, say, the next year or three.

Everything can turn on a dime, of course, but how optimistic are you in the short to medium term?

Do you fear losing your job any day now? Do you think you'll be alright for a while, or do you anticipate good times and/or security for the foreseeable future?

I would be interested to see a snap shot of the different provinces and different trades/skills ...
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
- I have job security, so don't fear job loss

l
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...dget-cuts.html

$2.5bn in cuts and no major overseas obligations, I'm glad you are confident anyway, but Im not sure how confident I would be of job security in the military at present.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

$2.5bn in cuts and no major overseas obligations, I'm glad you are confident anyway, but Im not sure how confident I would be of job security in the military at present.
So no snow forecasted for Toronto in the near future then
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linotype
35 years in Canada. Laid off 2 years ago from graphic arts IT job with daily newspaper in Edmonton after 30 years, jobs were offshored to Asia. Local printing companies are also suffering from 300 in 1978 down to 70 today.
Some of the people I worked with are now working part time in places such as Rona or Home Depot.
Pension from my former company is underfunded by 30%. From what I have read over 93% of pension plans in Canada are underfunded.
My wife (works for the federal government) is in the process of being laid off.
Lady next door who worked in admin for Telus was laid off (job offshored to India) best she could find was a $10 an hour job.
Most of the people I mentioned (including myself) were over 50.
Time to take the Greyhound to Fort McMoney.

Now if I was just 20 again:

<snip>
Be glad you have a pension, most people working these days don't.

Not all outsourcing is done out of country, you would be surprised how many call centers there are in Canada that handle calls for big Canadian companies, its just cheaper, but still provides jobs in Canada.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My outlook is still bad, still looking for a job any job.......
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The cuts being made in the military are mostly among civvy staff, contractors and reservists. It's nothing more than very poorly disguised outsourcing.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

OH is full time Mom and domestic goddess. Both kids are in school but seeing as before and after school child care would eat up most of anything she would make her position is pretty secure, I have been told that is my opinion on that LOL

For me ALS medic working remote for oil/gas/exploration/pipeline/mining and after three years back in Canada I have enough contacts that I can work when I want to and have holiday when I want. Actually feel that by not being tied to one employer it is easier to find work that pays well.

Can't see the situation changing much as even if the price of stuff dumps a bit pipelines still need to be maintained and repaired and thoise projects need medics and safety guys.

Hope those people who are without work right now find something you are looking for soon.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:05 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

As long as there is insurance, there will be insurance scammers.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:41 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you believe in the media.....

You think you know more than me of what is happening on the inside, or have access to the meeting and info I have? 13k civilian positions slashed, a lot of those are expensive categories of wages

Thanks for coming out

Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Thanks for coming out
That's a bit of a non sequitur

I never said I knew more than you, I said if I was in the military, considering the kind of budgetary constraints the government is under and the lack of a mission at present, I wouldnt feel secure. YMMV, naturally.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 29th 2012 at 7:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.