British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   YOUR economic outlook? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/your-economic-outlook-763636/)

ann m Jul 2nd 2012 5:24 pm

YOUR economic outlook?

Following on from the "Canada recession looming" thread, I wondered what YOUR economic outlook is for, say, the next year or three.

Everything can turn on a dime, of course, but how optimistic are you in the short to medium term?

Do you fear losing your job any day now? Do you think you'll be alright for a while, or do you anticipate good times and/or security for the foreseeable future?

I would be interested to see a snap shot of the different provinces and different trades/skills ...

JonboyE Jul 2nd 2012 5:34 pm

Re: YOUR economic outlook?

For me it is too much work. Which is why I am sitting at my desk on a holiday. I will have to hire someone to help me this fall.

ExKiwilass Jul 2nd 2012 5:59 pm

For me: hard to say

OH: looking good so far

Atlantic Xpat Jul 2nd 2012 6:40 pm

For me, looking good but then what I do and where I work isn't at all aligned with the Canadian economy.

For the Mrs, two words: Tenured. Teacher. ;)

feelbritish Jul 2nd 2012 6:45 pm

For me prsonally not looking good, I am in the tourism industry and am hit hard with high ferry costs, recession in Europe and weather, not to mention our local council have pulled the plug on tourists. OH it looks better so we will rely on him now. 3 years to his retirement and then hope to be out of here! Long term because most of our pensions and assets are in UK, we will not be able to afford Canada :thumbdown:

douglasgrant Jul 2nd 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10150729)
I would be interested to see a snap shot of the different provinces and different trades/skills ...

ask and ye shall receive. just like mana from heaven. :thumbsup:

for canadian stats, just google "statscanada" and then search labor.

http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/bsolc/olc-...catno=71-001-X

btw - i work for economists and even they have no clue what the future holds. there is a big difference between the academic (aka observing ) world of economics and the real (aka participating) world of economics.

ann m Jul 3rd 2012 4:02 am

Originally Posted by douglasgrant (Post 10150883)
there is a big difference between the academic (aka observing ) world of economics and the real (aka participating) world of economics.

And that is what I was getting at really. ;) What our lovely BE crowd are actually experiencing, as opposed to what the headlines tell us we are experiencing.

Me - reasonable outlook - work admin in a college which is part publicly-funded and part earned-revenue. Personally, average pay and a crap pension, good vacation and good work/life balance.

Abolishments are rare, but do happen every year - govt funding for some of the apprenticeship trades was cut for this next academic year which may affect instructor positions. Other programs are so oversubscribed they turn students away. It's proving harder and harder to attract good instructors away from the private sector where they can earn so much more - so the private sector in Calgary at this time appears very strong.

OH - secure as long as he keeps his nose clean. Been out of contract for two years and awaiting result of arbitration for any hint of a pay rise. Pays a fair whack into a pension, hopefully will be OK-ish when he finally retires.

So, for us - fair to middling.

MarkG Jul 3rd 2012 5:14 am

No idea. I have too much work until about March, then who knows?

Howefamily Jul 3rd 2012 10:04 am

Looking good for us both, I am in a good job now and hubby seems to be settling in a good job, Of course the "turns on a dime" thing will always be here but I am cautiously optimistic (saving like mad "just in case")

douglasgrant Jul 3rd 2012 10:41 am

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10151547)
And that is what I was getting at really. ;) What our lovely BE crowd are actually experiencing, as opposed to what the headlines tell us we are experiencing.

Me - reasonable outlook - work admin in a college which is part publicly-funded and part earned-revenue. Personally, average pay and a crap pension, good vacation and good work/life balance.

Abolishments are rare, but do happen every year - govt funding for some of the apprenticeship trades was cut for this next academic year which may affect instructor positions. Other programs are so oversubscribed they turn students away. It's proving harder and harder to attract good instructors away from the private sector where they can earn so much more - so the private sector in Calgary at this time appears very strong.

OH - secure as long as he keeps his nose clean. Been out of contract for two years and awaiting result of arbitration for any hint of a pay rise. Pays a fair whack into a pension, hopefully will be OK-ish when he finally retires.

So, for us - fair to middling.

Are you referring to teaching work? Teaching is over crowded with too many unemployed teachers b/c too many teachers got pumped out through the system.

Siouxie Jul 3rd 2012 2:33 pm

Right now, absolutely crap - laid off in October, can't get a job for love nor money despite applying for almost 200 jobs. Hoping to get on the OSEB scheme to become self employed but if I don't then the outlook is dire as my EI ended in March.

:(

ExKiwilass Jul 3rd 2012 3:16 pm

my work largely depends on infrastructure spending and commodity prices. It's slightly transferable though. :fingerscrossed:

Luckily the OH and I are in completely different industries so hopefully that gives us more security? His doesn't really rely on the economy, thankfully.

ann m Jul 3rd 2012 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by douglasgrant (Post 10152030)
Are you referring to teaching work? Teaching is over crowded with too many unemployed teachers b/c too many teachers got pumped out through the system.

I was referring to Adult education - instructors in a technical college. We are always looking for good quality (;)) instructors for the trades, and then for subjects like the petroleum engineering and electrical engineering courses, construction project management, law and business courses, etc. Those "good" people are already currently earning well in the private sector, and we have to try and tempt them away.

Atlantic Xpat Jul 3rd 2012 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by douglasgrant (Post 10152030)

That's true. Once in the system, however, it is a secure and well paid job.

charlottyb Jul 3rd 2012 4:54 pm

My husband is in the Navy (CF) which is safe and secure. I work as a nurse, but for a non profit organization. I am on yearly contracts, we have seen much of our funding reduce and have had to apply for small grants from a variety of places.
I love my job, but would like something more secure, so I went back to studying for my degree online last year, finish next year and hoping it will mean I can apply for other jobs.

TanieBird Jul 3rd 2012 9:00 pm

Feeling good right now as just got a nice promotion last week (and the nice pay raise to go with it). Company is in the oil & gas industry though, so although we are doing well, we could do with oil prices raising again and natural gas to actually be worth drilling for!
Personally I feel pretty good about my short term future and hopeful of setting myself up long term too.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 3rd 2012 11:25 pm

I would say at the moment my economic outlook is very poor. Haven't worked in 8 months, I send out applications and resumes and go to employment centers but I just dont get interviews.

Londonuck Jul 3rd 2012 11:45 pm

After the mare ive had regarding downturnage in the last 4 years... in the words of Yazz, the only way is up, baby.

Would love Ireland to turn completely around so we could head back to Dublin. God, i miss it so.

manitobain Jul 4th 2012 2:08 am

now I am curious about something else. Those that replied being out of work for longer time, what is your area of work..and have you thought of giving a different province a try?

Siouxie Jul 4th 2012 2:18 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10153480)
now I am curious about something else. Those that replied being out of work for longer time, what is your area of work..and have you thought of giving a different province a try?

I'm an administrator with experience of office management and book-keeping but have applied for everything from check-out girl, sales assistant, shelf stocker to clerical assistant, book-keeper, administrative assistant and everything and anything else I can do with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on... it's very frustrating. I have also registered with all the agencies in town, employment services and have walked around with resume in hand giving it out to anyone who would give me 5 minutes of their time.

For me changing province isn't an option at present, my son and I bought a house together and without a job I won't be able to get another mortgage, he left his life in England to join me and he is very happy (and employed) in Ontario so I wouldn't feel very happy about having to relocate - I just got my son back after 9 years!

:)

manitobain Jul 4th 2012 2:24 am

fair enough siouxie :), sure can't blame you. Can hear your frust ..and wish I could suggest something smart. I noticed here that in our little town there are several smaller employers (or self employed ppl) that are looking for help with admin/accounting work, but can't afford f/t help. I often thought if someone would come along and offer contract work for a few hours a week..they might be very interested. Don't know if that applies to your area though...

Ilse

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10153494)
I'm an administrator with experience of office management and book-keeping but have applied for everything from check-out girl, sales assistant, shelf stocker to clerical assistant, book-keeper and anything else I can do with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on... it's very frustrating. I have also registered with all the agencies in town, employment services and have walked around with resume in hand giving it out to anyone who would give me 5 minutes of their time.

For me changing province isn't an option at present, my son and I bought a house together and without a job I won't be able to get another mortgage, he left his life in England to join me and he is very happy (and employed) in Ontario so I wouldn't feel very happy about having to relocate - I just got my son back after 9 years!

ExKiwilass Jul 4th 2012 2:46 am

sorry to read that Siouxie

Fitzer Jul 4th 2012 3:39 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10153499)
fair enough siouxie :), sure can't blame you. Can hear your frust ..and wish I could suggest something smart. I noticed here that in our little town there are several smaller employers (or self employed ppl) that are looking for help with admin/accounting work, but can't afford f/t help. I often thought if someone would come along and offer contract work for a few hours a week..they might be very interested. Don't know if that applies to your area though...

Ilse

Manitobain is on to something there; thinking of yourself as a solution provider and problem solver, on a p/t basis if needed, rather than a f/t someone to hire. That moves the question from 'do i really need the hassle of hiring this person' to 'how do i use what they can do in a way that pays me back'.

95% of resumes fail to get that bit right. I have just finished hiring for positions in the UK and US for (I work at HQ in Montreal), and the quality of the CVs I have seen is shocking. They still think this is a pre-internet age and with time to slowly peruse each page; of the 40+ I saw there was no mention of value add, no gripping opening, and no reference to online evidence (linkedin or your own portfolio of work).

Apart from the 2 i ended up hiring that is. Good luck and think of the value you deliver, not what you do.

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 4th 2012 5:23 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10153480)

I have done nothing outside airlines and hotels, and I hate working in hotels with a passion, but I have tried the few in my area but not currently hiring, and there is no airline service to my area aside from Westjet which is difficult to get hired on with, and I have tried many times over the past 6 years.

I can't relocate as I have no funds to do so. I participate in all the programs welfare requires me to do, and I provide them with my list of jobs and companies I have sent resumes to, and the employment center redoes my resume and I have redone it as well.

The employment center place theory is a lack of education and skills since all I have it grade 12.

headingwest Jul 4th 2012 8:15 am

I am in the midst of a career change so looky rosy.

Being in Alberta as long as WTI stays north of $85 things will be fine, north of $100 things will be great. South of $80 for a prolonged time I don't want to think about.

A pipeline to export our oil to diversify away from the US is much needed

douglasgrant Jul 4th 2012 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Fitzer (Post 10153559)
Manitobain is on to something there; thinking of yourself as a solution provider and problem solver, on a p/t basis if needed, rather than a f/t someone to hire. That moves the question from 'do i really need the hassle of hiring this person' to 'how do i use what they can do in a way that pays me back'.

95% of resumes fail to get that bit right. I have just finished hiring for positions in the UK and US for (I work at HQ in Montreal), and the quality of the CVs I have seen is shocking. They still think this is a pre-internet age and with time to slowly peruse each page; of the 40+ I saw there was no mention of value add, no gripping opening, and no reference to online evidence (linkedin or your own portfolio of work).

Apart from the 2 i ended up hiring that is. Good luck and think of the value you deliver, not what you do.

Interesting post -- I guess it depends what type of position you apply for. In my industry personal web sites and linkedin are a big no no; unless you are a web designer/developer and plugging your portfolio.

dbd33 Jul 4th 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by douglasgrant (Post 10154071)
In my industry personal web sites and linkedin are a big no no; unless you are a web designer/developer and plugging your portfolio.

That seems odd, I thought linkedin was well established in all areas of white collar work. What industry are you in?

ExKiwilass Jul 4th 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest (Post 10153813)
A pipeline to export our oil to diversify away from the US is much needed

pfft

JonboyE Jul 5th 2012 12:26 am

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 10153499)

Ilse

I think this is a bloody good idea too. If you are proficient with Simply Accounting and/or QuickBooks (preferably both) there is a lot of opportunity. At least there is in the Vancouver area. I am always being asked by clients if I know of a reliable bookkeeper who can work a few hours a week, or one day a month, or so on. Build up a few of those and you end up with near full time employment and you will likely earn more than as an employee.

It sure beats doing nothing.

Siouxie Jul 5th 2012 3:44 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10155197)
I think this is a bloody good idea too. If you are proficient with Simply Accounting and/or QuickBooks (preferably both) there is a lot of opportunity. At least there is in the Vancouver area. I am always being asked by clients if I know of a reliable bookkeeper who can work a few hours a week, or one day a month, or so on. Build up a few of those and you end up with near full time employment and you will likely earn more than as an employee.

It sure beats doing nothing.

Unfortunately there is a dearth of people doing a similar thing in this area - on kijiji I see countless administrators, book-keepers and receptionists advertising their services for part time / full time and contract work. It's the nature of the present economic climate - a lack of jobs and many after the same kind of employment.

Believe me, that was the first thing I considered... I even thought of a virtual office business but there are plenty of them out there too.

I am applying for OSEB (self employment scheme) at the moment in the hopes that I will be accepted to begin to receive complete training on becoming self employed. As you say, it's better than doing nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions - they are all much appreciated!

Linotype Nov 29th 2012 4:55 am

35 years in Canada. Laid off 2 years ago from graphic arts IT job with daily newspaper in Edmonton after 30 years, jobs were offshored to Asia. Local printing companies are also suffering from 300 in 1978 down to 70 today.
Some of the people I worked with are now working part time in places such as Rona or Home Depot.
Pension from my former company is underfunded by 30%. From what I have read over 93% of pension plans in Canada are underfunded.
My wife (works for the federal government) is in the process of being laid off.
Lady next door who worked in admin for Telus was laid off (job offshored to India) best she could find was a $10 an hour job.
Most of the people I mentioned (including myself) were over 50.
Time to take the Greyhound to Fort McMoney.

Now if I was just 20 again:

<snip>

luvmeboys Nov 29th 2012 2:30 pm

For me - I have a part time job that I enjoy in catering
For Oh - he has a part time job which means he has to drive over the Malahat 3 days a week which is lovely in the right season!

We came here as very early retiree's so we're enjoying what we have for now :fingerscrossed:

luvmeboys Nov 29th 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10153494)
I'm an administrator with experience of office management and book-keeping but have applied for everything from check-out girl, sales assistant, shelf stocker to clerical assistant, book-keeper, administrative assistant and everything and anything else I can do with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on... it's very frustrating. I have also registered with all the agencies in town, employment services and have walked around with resume in hand giving it out to anyone who would give me 5 minutes of their time.

:wub: Well, that brought a tear to my eye - I hear ya :thumbsup:

bats Nov 29th 2012 2:52 pm

I work part time casual, I can have six shifts one week and then none for a couple of weeks, so far it's averaged out ok but I have no guarantee of any work. MOH has full time work for 4 months of the year, will be on EI in January and taking whatever work comes up through an agency at minimum wage. It's been pretty much the same since we arrived 6 years ago.

Miss Clinique Nov 29th 2012 3:22 pm

As head cook, chief bottle washer, duster flicker, ironing lady, personal shopper, and lady what lunches. I think my job is secure for the foreseeable future.

OH is " The Boss" so unless he sacks him self, or people stop relocating all around the world, he should be fine as well.

Former Lancastrian Nov 29th 2012 3:24 pm

Based on the Immigration thread Id say my outlook is pretty secure:sneaky:

ultrarunner Nov 29th 2012 3:41 pm

In my case, ON and in my line of work....

Answering from the bottom up

- I have job security, so don't fear job loss

- I am on a yearly wage increase at my rank until promotion to the next, and the same continues at that rank

- Nice pension at the end

- Lots of out of country travel

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10150729)
Following on from the "Canada recession looming" thread, I wondered what YOUR economic outlook is for, say, the next year or three.

Everything can turn on a dime, of course, but how optimistic are you in the short to medium term?

Do you fear losing your job any day now? Do you think you'll be alright for a while, or do you anticipate good times and/or security for the foreseeable future?

iaink Nov 29th 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 10407958)
- I have job security, so don't fear job loss

l

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...dget-cuts.html

$2.5bn in cuts and no major overseas obligations, I'm glad you are confident anyway, but Im not sure how confident I would be of job security in the military at present.

Former Lancastrian Nov 29th 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10407975)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...dget-cuts.html

$2.5bn in cuts and no major overseas obligations, I'm glad you are confident anyway, but Im not sure how confident I would be of job security in the military at present.

So no snow forecasted for Toronto in the near future then :rofl:

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 29th 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Linotype (Post 10407028)
35 years in Canada. Laid off 2 years ago from graphic arts IT job with daily newspaper in Edmonton after 30 years, jobs were offshored to Asia. Local printing companies are also suffering from 300 in 1978 down to 70 today.
Some of the people I worked with are now working part time in places such as Rona or Home Depot.
Pension from my former company is underfunded by 30%. From what I have read over 93% of pension plans in Canada are underfunded.
My wife (works for the federal government) is in the process of being laid off.
Lady next door who worked in admin for Telus was laid off (job offshored to India) best she could find was a $10 an hour job.
Most of the people I mentioned (including myself) were over 50.
Time to take the Greyhound to Fort McMoney.

Now if I was just 20 again:

<snip>

Be glad you have a pension, most people working these days don't.

Not all outsourcing is done out of country, you would be surprised how many call centers there are in Canada that handle calls for big Canadian companies, its just cheaper, but still provides jobs in Canada.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My outlook is still bad, still looking for a job any job.......