Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Old May 5th 2010, 5:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
As to the BBC being better...I find the BBC is so busy trying not to offend or be 'objective' that the news is very watered down. I've given up on the BBC. But I'm not British, so maybe I just don't get how superior it is.
What's your choice of source for news?
Old May 5th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I fail to see how what was quoted can be seen as a positive thing, except for the playing in the streets bit.

I don't know of anyone that felt that flying the Union Jack was racist.
The UK is overpopulated, and so often children have less oportunities to follow their dreams as there is much more competion.

In the UK often the people who go on about britishness and use the flag have been the types of people that I would not like to be associated with. They view british as being white anglo-saxon and are often sympathetic to the views of the BNP. These types of people sicken me and I would not like to be associated with them. And so avoided displaying the flag.

The only times when I have felt able to wave the flag in the UK has been during things like the European or World cup or events at that level.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Juliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the roughJuliew is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Canada is a very parochial and insular place to grow up. I don't think Canadian kids are anywhere near as 'worldly' or generally globally-aware as British kids are.

We as Brits can all appreciate the superiority of, for example, the BBC for news - it's the British background. Imagine growing up without that reference, without the constant quality of news and current affairs discussions that Britain is so good at... how ignorant and isolated do you think that might make you in comparison?
You are joking aren't you!!!
Old May 5th 2010, 5:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What's your choice of source for news?
It varies - mainly these internet radio stations:

NPR
CBC
ABC (Australian National radio which is v. good imo and a lot better coverage of the Asia/Pacific region)
sometimes I listen to the Beeb online, but with the time difference the interesting shows don't tend be on when I like them. I don't like the BBC website news much, which is what I was referring to.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliew
You are joking aren't you!!!
Not at all. don't tell me you think differently, that Canada is more outward-looking than the UK?!
Old May 5th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Yes, it's your comment (tried to move it to a new thread, but seems to veered completely off the original question and we are now on immigration)!

Well, some of see it as a positive to be away from our relatives.... we've maintained a safe distance of 200 miles for the past 20 years, but now the kids are growing older, seems wise to put an ocean between us. Seriously, you don't know our families. There is no way we would be flying back to the UK every year to see them so that's an expense we can safely discount. The only member of our extended family I have any desire to see lives in Canada.

There must be some really good reasons out there why people feel their kids are better off in Canada, despite a reduction in finances, otherwise they would not do it. Money isn't the only thing that affects your quality of life - lots of amusements are free (no smutty comments please).

So... can we move off from immigration/nepotism/class structure and come back to the original question before it gets lost forever - I really do want people's experiences please!
I have 3 young children (8,4,and 3), we moved out here a year ago. We came for probably a lot of reasons people come out. We had an opportunity to start a new business, thought the kids would be so much better off here in the future etc etc.

We have really struggled financially , hoping this will change as the business grows, but a lot of our hard earned house money has gone down the swanney!!

We are still in rented as the exchanges are so bad and not 100% committed to this country.

The little ones are too young to comment on their happiness here as they would be happy anywhere.
Our eldest has had a hard time settling in school and often gets upset wanting to be back home.
The schools here are a lot bigger than what she was used to. I have to admit that the friends she had at home she was a lot more close to (we lived in a 10,000 pop) so she would see all these kids outside of school.

Its an ok school, but her education levals and interest in school in general have gone completly donwhill.
Its a real shame when you see your child learning stuff she learnt a long time ago, no longer being able to spell words she spelt years before (there is no emphasis on learning how to spell correctly), maybe this changes as she gets older but it drives me insane. She will come back with work (direct from a work booklet as per) with spelling mistakes, i ask her, did your teacher read through this? answer - Yes. there have been no corrections on her grammer or spelling! When i ask the teacher she says thats how the system is taught here??!!

Imo, the schools are not as good, there are a few spoilt canadian princesses (as i call them). A lot of emphasis, on who has what, what fantastic ballet school they go to. A lot of canadian kids have so much! It always amazes me to see how many toys, outdoor stuff etc etc they have. Toys R US is always busy!!

Should never have taken out of her fantastic little school in the UK where she was so happy, all the parents knew eachother, you got the know the teachers, was a lovely community school, nothing like that exists here unless you were to live in an remote village somewhere.

I am basing my experiences on Ontario, other areas may be different.

What else is better for the kids - they get to play out more in the spring/summer as the weathers nice, summer though some of the days too hot for little ones.

In the winter, they can play in the snow (unless its too cold).

There are a lot of activities they can partake in, but gets expensive.

Bring lots of money! Its not cheap.

Sorry to sound so negative but you wanted opions of parents with kids here and these are my mine.

I just want to go home, back to my pretty, characterful, friendly village.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:10 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
I have 3 young children (8,4,and 3), we moved out here a year ago. We came for probably a lot of reasons people come out. We had an opportunity to start a new business, thought the kids would be so much better off here in the future etc etc.

We have really struggled financially , hoping this will change as the business grows, but a lot of our hard earned house money has gone down the swanney!!

We are still in rented as the exchanges are so bad and not 100% committed to this country.

The little ones are too young to comment on their happiness here as they would be happy anywhere.
Our eldest has had a hard time settling in school and often gets upset wanting to be back home.
The schools here are a lot bigger than what she was used to. I have to admit that the friends she had at home she was a lot more close to (we lived in a 10,000 pop) so she would see all these kids outside of school.

Its an ok school, but her education levals and interest in school in general have gone completly donwhill.
Its a real shame when you see your child learning stuff she learnt a long time ago, no longer being able to spell words she spelt years before (there is no emphasis on learning how to spell correctly), maybe this changes as she gets older but it drives me insane. She will come back with work (direct from a work booklet as per) with spelling mistakes, i ask her, did your teacher read through this? answer - Yes. there have been no corrections on her grammer or spelling! When i ask the teacher she says thats how the system is taught here??!!

Imo, the schools are not as good, there are a few spoilt canadian princesses (as i call them). A lot of emphasis, on who has what, what fantastic ballet school they go to. A lot of canadian kids have so much! It always amazes me to see how many toys, outdoor stuff etc etc they have. Toys R US is always busy!!

Should never have taken out of her fantastic little school in the UK where she was so happy, all the parents knew eachother, you got the know the teachers, was a lovely community school, nothing like that exists here unless you were to live in an remote village somewhere.

I am basing my experiences on Ontario, other areas may be different.

What else is better for the kids - they get to play out more in the spring/summer as the weathers nice, summer though some of the days too hot for little ones.

In the winter, they can play in the snow (unless its too cold).

There are a lot of activities they can partake in, but gets expensive.

Bring lots of money! Its not cheap.

Sorry to sound so negative but you wanted opions of parents with kids here and these are my mine.

I just want to go home, back to my pretty, characterful, friendly village.
Sorry you're having a rough go. Oakville is kinda snobby isn't it? or so I hear. I have been avoiding the whole ballet thing like the plague...ugh ugh ugh. It seems to attract a certain type of parent.

Slightly OT but my daughter was criticized in her last school report for not using 'creative spelling" i.e. making shit up. Um, what??? How dare she try and spell correctly. She's in K though.

Overall, though, our school is a lot like the one you described in the UK. Small, parents know each other, lots of community involvement. I love our school. Too bad about the creative spelling (hee).
Old May 5th 2010, 6:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you're having a rough go. Oakville is kinda snobby isn't it? or so I hear. I have been avoiding the whole ballet thing like the plague...ugh ugh ugh. It seems to attract a certain type of parent.
Ballet recitals at the Oakville Centre involved the most flagrant displays of competitive spending I've witnessed. Stretched limos for the performers, huge bouquets of flowers, this for ten year old JonBenéts.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Slightly OT but my daughter was criticized in her last school report for not using 'creative spelling" i.e. making shit up. Um, what??? How dare she try and spell correctly. She's in K though.

Overall, though, our school is a lot like the one you described in the UK. Small, parents know each other, lots of community involvement. I love our school. Too bad about the creative spelling (hee).
Thanks for that. Yes, we have/ are considering moving somewhere smaller, less "posh" hee hee, but are worried to do so, as don't want to make a mistake and unsettle kids further!!

I think i came onto the forum today particularly homesick and weepy, so not the best time to put keypad to screen!!

There are lots of positives about Canada too, just to make it clear i don't dislike the country, just not sure if i can be here for many moons to come, oh and its turning me into an overweight alcoholic!!
Old May 5th 2010, 6:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to get all daily mail style reactionary over modern teaching methods, but:

WTF? That can't actually be true!!
Old May 5th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ballet recitals at the Oakville Centre involved the most flagrant displays of competitive spending I've witnessed. Stretched limos for the performers, huge bouquets of flowers, this for ten year old JonBenéts.
Oh dear, i just enrolled my little one - i'll get the limo ordered now!!
Old May 5th 2010, 6:28 pm

Actually I don't think it's far from that here. Well, maybe not the limos, but all the rest? yup. It's like the "middle class" version of child beauty pageants.

I'm staying away.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I hate to get all daily mail style reactionary over modern teaching methods, but:

WTF? That can't actually be true!!
Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a finger in my eye true. I think the exact words were "needs to use more creative spelling" and something about how we can encourage that. So I said to the wee one "why don't you just make up the spelling honey?" and she was all "But mummy, how do you spell it.?" she wants to spell it right. I really need to have a chat with her about her need to do things properly and how it's interfering with her schooling.

But this is the same teacher who banned the words "stupid" and "silly" from her classroom. So...
Old May 5th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Life expectancy is better in Canada.

My children will be able to afford to buy a new home in Canada without asking me to help them pay for it.

I feel people are much more open about their cultures.

When I lived in the UK Ilived in a very multicultural area, bu people were more private. Here, they teach you their language, they share their culture and history.

I had an Italian friend who told me all about their wedding traditions, history and values. He was also very open about the mafia and organised crime. If I asked half the questions I asked him here in the UK, someone would have been offended.
Old May 5th 2010, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by britsnake
Life expectancy is better in Canada.

My children will be able to afford to buy a new home in Canada without asking me to help them pay for it.I feel people are much more open about their cultures.

When I lived in the UK Ilived in a very multicultural area, bu people were more private. Here, they teach you their language, they share their culture and history.

I had an Italian friend who told me all about their wedding traditions, history and values. He was also very open about the mafia and organised crime. If I asked half the questions I asked him here in the UK, someone would have been offended.
Not in Van

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.