Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off?

Old May 5th 2010, 4:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's not necessarily the case. Growing up in Toronto one would be exposed to children from all over the world, children who also go home for the summer, and so be indirectly exposed to all kinds of influences. Growing up in Barrie, not so much.
Is being exposed to people from all over the world the same as being exposed to news and events from all over the world? News media here is quite parochial as jings said - even international news (when it's actually covered) tends to be given a local angle. Maybe it's different out east.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are your children better off in Canada, even though you are financially worse off

In England they spoke only English, they now speak between two and three languages.

They have nearly 3 months summer holidays.

In England one of my sons was a good soccer player but not one of the best. In Canada his skills are seen as legendary.

In England my other son was a good singer, here, he could be the next Canadian Idol.

In England, being proud to be British and waving the flag, usually meant you were some kind of rascist. They can now be proud of their British Heritage. We have the British, Canadian and Quebec flags in our home and are not afraid to wave them.

I spoke to one of my children recently, and he told me that in th UK he was always a bit afraid. Afraid that he might look at someone the wrong way and maybe get killed for it. Now they do not fear. They play in the streets. They go for sleepovers at their friends houses and have a much more active and happy lifestyle.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is being exposed to people from all over the world the same as being exposed to news and events from all over the world? News media here is quite parochial as jings said - even international news (when it's actually covered) tends to be given a local angle. Maybe it's different out east.
I imagine it's no different but have always had my news from the Guardian and the BBC so they, and the weekly Radio Suisse roundup, were my children's primary sources. I'd guess that, at least, a third of the parents of their fellow students primarily used foreign news media.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:41 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5

There seems to be a difference of opinion regarding materialistic attitudes of kids in UK/Canada. Here in London it is very materialistic, and that affects my kids in that they can't always have the latest or "best" of everything. My eldest gets bullied at school for having the wrong trainers, old games console, etc.

So, I'm looking at quality of life now, as children. While their futures will undoubtedly be affected by where they are brought up, they will be able to make their own decisions at age 18 whether to return to the UK or to stay in Canada (or move somewhere else).
I think you will find places and kids like that wherever you go, there is a constant media barrage too, but maybe its worse in a large city. I live in a small town and it has "small town values". That's great for some things, but not for others, so I guess you make your choice and have to take the rough with the smooth.

I firmly believe there is no getting away from the fact that the biggest influences on a kids development are always going to be the parents state of mind and level of involvement, and the opportunities that are available for the kids to pursue. My bit of Canada works for me, but there are bits of the UK that probably wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Old May 5th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Maybe I've got it completely wrong but I don't look at my move to Canada in such a way. We were going to move at some stage and it could have been somewhere else in the UK but we simply fancied moving to another continent. We have our little house in NS and intend to try to make it home for a few years once we have PR. Yes, life is going to be different but that's why we do these kind of things, isn't it? I'm not really one for knocking where I live, which is in a perfectly reasonably part of North West London but look ahead to the new experience. Whether my little boy will be better off...well, I really don't know. If we're all happy down the line then that counts for so much does it not?
Old May 5th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britsnake
In England they spoke only English, they now speak between two and three languages.

They have nearly 3 months summer holidays.

In England one of my sons was a good soccer player but not one of the best. In Canada his skills are seen as legendary.

In England my other son was a good singer, here, he could be the next Canadian Idol.

In England, being proud to be British and waving the flag, usually meant you were some kind of rascist. They can now be proud of their British Heritage. We have the British, Canadian and Quebec flags in our home and are not afraid to wave them.

I spoke to one of my children recently, and he told me that in th UK he was always a bit afraid. Afraid that he might look at someone the wrong way and maybe get killed for it. Now they do not fear. They play in the streets. They go for sleepovers at their friends houses and have a much more active and happy lifestyle.
I love this post - especially the bit about the legendary soccer skills. Now that's something my younger son has designs on (as he knows he will never make the grade at hockey, much as he loves it)!
Old May 5th 2010, 4:53 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I have only glanced through most of the replies as I am on a time limit. Only through out own foolish lack of attention are we financially worse off - when we sell our vacation property everything will be ticketyboo again. Had we been more attentive and understanding of the banking/house selling and lawyer system here we would have realised the colossal mistake the bank had made with was far worse then we thought it was We would never have been in this situation if the bank had done things right in the first place - our down payment would have been less and the garage wouldn't have been built yet - ANYHOW that's a whole other story.

As for my kid being better off? Yes and no, would she still be on anti depressants/sleeping pills/ADHD tabs had we reamined in the UK - we will never know, it's one of the reasons I am so unsettled at the moment.

She has options here that seemed to be lacking in the UK, there is a positivity of you can do anything, that seemed to be lacking in the UK - her UK friends are saying they'll be lucky to get a job in a shop and seem to have very little ambition. Whereas my kid wants to be a marine biologist or have a job in the Air control tower - she has been fascinated by the operations of the control tower up at the Cold Lake Air Base, she's learning Japanese and is on about spending a semester there in grade 11 or 12 she's mentioned teaching too. The marine biologist thing has been most constant since about age 8 though).

She recently had to write about her own epiphamy, here is an extract:

I hated Canada, I hated the accents, the people, the kindness, the openess, the cleanliness, just about everything. I didn't participate in class and I read at lunch. I wanted nothing to do with anyone. What bugged me most was that everyone was so kind no matter what! I would go to class and everyone that looked at me recieved a dirty look, but everyday they would keep trying and smile at me. If they got knocked over by someone, they didn't get mad, they didn't stand up and threaten to punch the other person out, they just brushed it off. I didn't get that....

Of course I cried when I read the whole thing, to find out how confused and unhappy she was, she goes on to say that she still has her random dreams of home, but she is happier here.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:03 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I have only glanced through most of the replies as I am on a time limit. Only through out own foolish lack of attention are we financially worse off - when we sell our vacation property everything will be ticketyboo again. Had we been more attentive and understanding of the banking/house selling and lawyer system here we would have realised the colossal mistake the bank had made with was far worse then we thought it was We would never have been in this situation if the bank had done things right in the first place - our down payment would have been less and the garage wouldn't have been built yet - ANYHOW that's a whole other story.

As for my kid being better off? Yes and no, would she still be on anti depressants/sleeping pills/ADHD tabs had we reamined in the UK - we will never know, it's one of the reasons I am so unsettled at the moment.

She has options here that seemed to be lacking in the UK, there is a positivity of you can do anything, that seemed to be lacking in the UK - her UK friends are saying they'll be lucky to get a job in a shop and seem to have very little ambition. Whereas my kid wants to be a marine biologist or have a job in the Air control tower - she has been fascinated by the operations of the control tower up at the Cold Lake Air Base, she's learning Japanese and is on about spending a semester there in grade 11 or 12 she's mentioned teaching too. The marine biologist thing has been most constant since about age 8 though).

She recently had to write about her own epiphamy, here is an extract:

I hated Canada, I hated the accents, the people, the kindness, the openess, the cleanliness, just about everything. I didn't participate in class and I read at lunch. I wanted nothing to do with anyone. What bugged me most was that everyone was so kind no matter what! I would go to class and everyone that looked at me recieved a dirty look, but everyday they would keep trying and smile at me. If they got knocked over by someone, they didn't get mad, they didn't stand up and threaten to punch the other person out, they just brushed it off. I didn't get that....

Of course I cried when I read the whole thing, to find out how confused and unhappy she was, she goes on to say that she still has her random dreams of home, but she is happier here.
I'm not sure that is the case. I wanted to be an astronaut or a film star when I was younger. You can't get much more ambitious than that, unfortunately there wasn't a ready path for either of those careers, so not wanting to compromise my dreams, I went on the dole.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy
"Drum roll and crash"
No seriously. The UK offers exactly that. What does Canada offer that the UK doesn't, for the longer term, in regards to the kids and the parents?
Old May 5th 2010, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
I love this post - especially the bit about the legendary soccer skills. Now that's something my younger son has designs on (as he knows he will never make the grade at hockey, much as he loves it)!
I fail to see how what was quoted can be seen as a positive thing, except for the playing in the streets bit.

I don't know of anyone that felt that flying the Union Jack was racist.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I fail to see how what was quoted can be seen as a positive thing, except for the playing in the streets bit.

Well quite, I was in the UK four years ago when the World Cup was on and the country was awash with flags.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Er, well it made me smile...!
Old May 5th 2010, 5:23 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Well quite, I was in the UK four years ago when the World Cup was on and the country was awash with flags.
Racist scum!!

Old May 5th 2010, 5:27 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

OH is first generation Canadian, his parents are british expats. For a long time he felt he missed out in being close to his large extended family in the UK. We go back every now and then for family weddings etc. I can't see that there's any difference in 'outcome' really; his cousins are doing well and mostly have good jobs, homes, etc. So, from that respect, it seems much of a muchness. Interestingly, though, most of the Irish cousins have ended up either in the US or the UK.

However, there was noticeable racial tension last time we were in Scotland of a type we just don't experience here. People not making eye contact or ignoring you. We were told we couldn't take photos of OH's little cousin at his public school because it would offend people around us to take out a camera crazy crap like that. And there's something grim, kind of downtrodden about the UK. I like it and I like the history, but there is tension there between people. It makes me uneasy. Could be the crowdedness. It IS crowded, I always forget how crowded it is when I haven't been back for a while.

As to the BBC being better...I find the BBC is so busy trying not to offend or be 'objective' that the news is very watered down. I've given up on the BBC. But I'm not British, so maybe I just don't get how superior it is.
Old May 5th 2010, 5:31 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
...there is tension there between people. It makes me uneasy.
There isn't really. It's all about personal perception, i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.