Reload this Page >

Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC

Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC

Old May 4th 2022, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Leianne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC

Hi!
My family and I are looking to move to Kelowna, B.C.
I am studying to be a nurse and will be qualified in July 2023, so would be looking to move anytime after this.
I think our best option of getting over is through me as nurses are in demand.
I am looking for any advice from anyone who has done this recently that could help us or can give advice on the area etc. Anything would be great.....

Thank you 🌟
Old May 4th 2022, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC

Originally Posted by Leianne
Hi!
I am studying to be a nurse and will be qualified in July 2023, so would be looking to move anytime after this.
I am looking for any advice from anyone who has done this recently that could help us or can give advice on the area etc. Anything would be great.....

Thank you 🌟
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You'd usually need to work as a qualified nurse in the UK for a while first before being eligible for a visa, there's also a very lengthy (years) and costly process to go through to be eligible to work as a nurse in Canada usually (see this thread, and lots of others if you do a search, for more info - UK Nurse trying to get to canada). Would moving out on a study permit and finishing your degree in Canada be possible at all? It would make things a heck of lot easier for you.

If not, then factor those things in to your timescales. The good thing is that it would give you plenty of time to visit and research first, and save for the move.

Best of luck to you.
Old May 6th 2022, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Leianne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC

Hi! I am currently studying nursing in Scotland and want to move to canada once I qualify July 2023.

I am looking for advice from people who have done it recently to talk about the process and timings?

Also when is best to take the language tests etc.

Thanks,

Leianne

Last edited by Leianne; May 6th 2022 at 11:31 am.
Old May 6th 2022, 11:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! I am currently studying nursing in Scotland and want to move to canada once I qualify July 2023.

I am looking for advice from people who have done it recently to talk about the process and timings?

Also when is best to take the language tests etc.

Thanks,

Leianne
Hi, I've merged your two threads, as they seem to be on the same subject. As above, you're a long way off needing to take the English tests, so don't worry about that for quite a while.

Good luck with it.
Old May 11th 2022, 9:20 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Search the other threads on this topic, but to save you the time i can tell you this. You will need to work as a Nurse in the UK for at least 1 year before coming to Canada for it to count for anything, and then the process to become a fully fledged RN in Canada will take a further 3 years. During which time you cannot work as a nurse so will have to find another job anyway.
The appallingly poorly organised and disjointed process will also test your patience, your wellbeing and you will question why you ever wanted to be a nurse in the first place.
If you want to be a Nurse in Canada either come here and study here and qualify here, or give up all hope and find a different career.
This from the husband of someone who has just endured this long and painful process and my wifes worst 3 years of her life.
Yes they are crying out for nurses, its because they make it so bl**dy hard for anyone to become one!
You might think I am being dramatic, i am not.
Sorry to be the destroyer of dreams but I can tell you my wife wishes she had known this upfront and says she wouldnt have bothered.
Old May 30th 2022, 9:53 am
Just Joined

redfox05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC

Hi!

Thank you 🌟
New to the forum so I've not been looking at many threads yet, so took me a while to see this one!
I thought I would just chime in and say I lived in Kelowna BC until very recently for about 3 years. Moved there on PR from UK.
I don't want to give more info than that out on a public post, but if you have any questions or want a chat, I'd be happy to help.

BUT, BC house prices... thats something that has gone up crazy in the last few years in BC in general. People we know have relocated to Calgary just purely because of the house prices.

Last edited by redfox05; May 30th 2022 at 10:02 am.