Reload this Page >

Young family considering making the move... Reasons for and against

Young family considering making the move... Reasons for and against

Old Sep 27th 2019, 6:47 am
Just Joined

jam85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young family considering making the move... Reasons for and against

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Kelowna isn't exactly a hub for banking or IT, but it does have a growing IT sector - jobs in Canada rarely seem to post salary in the advert, and often even say to 'include your expectations' in the advert. Which is frustrating. I'd suggest you try to benchmark from eg Glassdoor or other sites. If you have to, try to dig up a number from Vancouver, and then probably expect less.
That's a very good idea. Is it the 'done thing' in Canada to phone a recruitment agent and interview them about expectations?

Kelowna isn't cheap, but it's less than London - but your salary will be as well.

I know little about nursing, but your wife would need to go through the BC College to get her qualifications recognized, for sure.

Much easier to be outdoorsy around Kelowna than in Britain, with both the lake, and the surrounding parks and crown land (not limited to rights of way. can go anywhere).

Winters are pretty mild by Canadian standards - worse than the coast, but rarely below -15, and rarely for long. I've been on the beach as late as October and as early as March.
Yeah doesn't sound too bad.

Vacation time will almost certainly be less, which does suck - although you get to live in vacation-land, so there's always that trade off Flights to Italy, that's gonna turn into 12 hours via Vancouver/Toronto.
How much has this impacted your quality of life, given the trade-offs?
Although Canada doesn't have the daily hate mail, Kelowna is one of the whitest, most conservative cities in Canada (certainly the most so of major BC cities), which might be something to bear in mind if those sorts of attitudes and statistics are important to you.
I didn't realize it was so white and conservative (sounds a bit like where I live at the moment!). That's very interesting. Are other areas of Okanagan a bit more diverse/less conservative?

Another thing that might matter if you're concerned about QoL is that Kelowna is the most car-dependent city in Canada - it's very low density, the main highway is Highway 97 doing double duty as both the major local road & the provincial highway, there's a lot of driving to get between things that you might not expect would be.
I didn't realize this, but it makes sense. I don't mind driving so much but my wife likes being able to walk 5 mins to the shops, or 30 mins into town. I suppose it all depends on where exactly you live.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam85

I very rarely had multi-week vacations once I stopped going on the ones organized by parents. If I lived in Britain I'd be in BC a few weeks of the year. Living in BC, I get to be in BC 52 weeks a year (minus any time spent elsewhere). It is what it is. I'd rather have more time - going from six weeks available to take off to two is a shock to the system - but the ability to walk out of the building and be in the place where I'd otherwise spend a ten hour flight getting to is a nice shock in the other direction.

I didn't realize it was so white and conservative (sounds a bit like where I live at the moment!). That's very interesting. Are other areas of Okanagan a bit more diverse/less conservative?
I've never actually run the numbers on that. A first check says no. You can only put two 'geographies' up against each other in Statistics Canada's profile. Here's Kelowna up against Vernon (Okanagan's second city, an hour to the north): https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...TABID=1&type=0. While Kelowna is 7.9% visible minority, Vernon is 5%. I also checked Penticton, which is 5.7%.

In many ways Kelowna is like Nice - a hot, waterfront city that everyone wants to retire to, which has a disproportionately elderly, already-wealthy population voting their values. Very surprisingly it did swing Liberal in the last Federal election (the only one to do so in the Interior), will be interesting to see if that holds up. When Christy Clark, leader of the conservative 'BC Liberals' (not to be confused with Liberal Party of Canada) lost her seat on the coast while keeping her government in 2013, it was the Kelowna-West MLA who stepped aside to give her a safe conservative seat to run in to get back into the leg.

Old Sep 27th 2019, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quote:
Vacation time will almost certainly be less, which does suck - although you get to live in vacation-land, so there's always that trade off [img
https://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/lol.gif Flights to Italy, that's gonna turn into 12 hours via Vancouver/Toronto.
Every life will be different. While some people get to live in vacation-land for others it's probably just normal life and depends what you are used to and where you come from. It's the same when Americans or other Europeans visit the area we live and because it's vacation, they think we also live in vacation-land. I suppose the big difference is that if you are in Kelowna you are in Kelowna and you really have to love the place, as there is not much else around you and property costs vs. income seem to be high. Especially when it comes to holiday destinations, you won't get the cheap options to Italy like you have now. If you are also into beaches and Mediterranean culture during a longer winter, the next nearest option would be California and to get the same type of standard as Spain, you'd need to compare with places like Santa Barbara or Malibu and are paying 4x more.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 27th 2019 at 10:04 am.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 12:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping the deposit I'll bring over from the sale of my house will offset much of the mortgage. I've heard gas/electricity is much cheaper, but other things like broadband can be more expensive.

I know this is subjective, but do you feel you need less holiday than the UK? How much has reduced holiday leave affected your quality of life?

Car insurance is markedly more expensive in Canada than in the UK. Expensive enough to matter in a monthly budget (few people have the funds to buy a whole year's worth at once).

I think it's nonsense to suggest that one might need less holiday in Canada, one needs more as much of it is taken up with going home for domestic matters. The idea that there's more outdoors and that somehow substitutes also strikes me as being silly. One the weekend, you're at B&Q/Home Depot or Costco or cleaning the gutters so it doesn't matter that there's a vast expanse of tundra to the north. Some people do go outside in Canada (six months of the year) but they do in Brighton too (year round); I see very many people bicycling along the south coast. The outdoors in Canada is only better if you want to kill things or indulge in destructive motorized pastimes. If you want to walk or ride a horse you can do that in the UK (subject to funding but that's a different advantage of Canada). More holiday is also needed as it's a bloody long way to anywhere.

otoh, cheap housing, high pay, lots of stuff. (In Canada generally, BC seems different.)
Old Sep 27th 2019, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very good idea. Is it the 'done thing' in Canada to phone a recruitment agent and interview them about expectations?

Yeah doesn't sound too bad.

I didn't realize this, but it makes sense. I don't mind driving so much but my wife likes being able to walk 5 mins to the shops, or 30 mins into town. I suppose it all depends on where exactly you live.
Originally Posted by dbd33
Car insurance is markedly more expensive in Canada than in the UK. Expensive enough to matter in a monthly budget (few people have the funds to buy a whole year's worth at once).

I think it's nonsense to suggest that one might need less holiday in Canada, one needs more as much of it is taken up with going home for domestic matters. The idea that there's more outdoors and that somehow substitutes also strikes me as being silly. One the weekend, you're at B&Q/Home Depot or Costco or cleaning the gutters so it doesn't matter that there's a vast expanse of tundra to the north. Some people do go outside in Canada (six months of the year) but they do in Brighton too (year round); I see very many people bicycling along the south coast. The outdoors in Canada is only better if you want to kill things or indulge in destructive motorized pastimes. If you want to walk or ride a horse you can do that in the UK (subject to funding but that's a different advantage of Canada). More holiday is also needed as it's a bloody long way to anywhere.

otoh, cheap housing, high pay, lots of stuff. (In Canada generally, BC seems different.)
Good points and I suppose the thing with the outdoors is a common thing to say and will depend on where you end up and where you're from. I know people who moved to Canada and never go to lakes and live in apartments and others now have a house, ride a mountain bike and go to the lake vice versa. These days It's only small things that make the difference and people still end up with the same mobile phones, you have internet and watch Netflix. Earlier or later you get the same awful coffee, the same fashion brands and when it comes to sport the only difference is that some people throw the ball and others kick it. If we don't moan about food prices, it might be the bad drivers and higher insurance etc. Then it comes down to things like do you prefer winter sports or want more winter beach breaks.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 27th 2019 at 1:56 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Very much depends where you're coming from and where you're going to. My car insurance in BC is half what I paid in Britain, for similar coverage levels (despite now insuring a much larger vehicle) - it's the first time in my life I can pay the annual bill in one go.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Very much depends where you're coming from and where you're going to. My car insurance in BC is half what I paid in Britain, for similar coverage levels (despite now insuring a much larger vehicle) - it's the first time in my life I can pay the annual bill in one go.
That's the first time I've ever heard that! There must be other factors surely, were you a young driver in the UK, or had little no claims?
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose one's mileage may vary. I'm sure you know that that's not a common circumstance.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...The outdoors in Canada is only better if you want to kill things or indulge in destructive motorized pastimes...

And don't forget the mosquitoes.

Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's the first time I've ever heard that! There must be other factors surely, were you a young driver in the UK, or had little no claims?
Young men in Britain pay an absolute fortune for insurance - although fascinatingly a graph does show the average coming down in recent years (https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car...ce/young-male/). Any which way, a Corsa (good) living in central Bristol (badbadbad) driven by a young guy (badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad) was.... above the 'average' on that graph. Which average line is itself well above the cost for a truck in Kelowna & Victoria (and when I first moved over I was the same age).

That said, I did read on news that ICBC's new rate structure now looks more like a private sector one for people with less driving history, so that advantage may have diminished.

I suppose one's mileage may vary. I'm sure you know that that's not a common circumstance.
I've only ever seen my bills, and some of the sticker-shock numbers around here (a week or so back someone was giving quotes from Ontario which were eye-watering). I've heard that Vancouver's more expensive, but that's only one part of the province.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Young men in Britain pay an absolute fortune for insurance - although fascinatingly a graph does show the average coming down in recent years (https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car...ce/young-male/). Any which way, a Corsa (good) living in central Bristol (badbadbad) driven by a young guy (badbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbadbad) was.... above the 'average' on that graph. Which average line is itself well above the cost for a truck in Kelowna & Victoria (and when I first moved over I was the same age).
Ah, yes, I thought that might be the case. My car insurance is only £200 a year, and it seems most pay more than that a month in Canada! But I'm a middle aged woman.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, yes, I thought that might be the case. My car insurance is only £200 a year, and it seems most pay more than that a month in Canada! But I'm a middle aged woman.
OK, yes, that would be delightful bill that I doubt I will ever see
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair there's lower fuel tax, no road tax and no MOT required here, but still doesn't completely make up for the difference with ICBC's insanely high insurance rates.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
To be fair there's lower fuel tax, no road tax and no MOT required here, but still doesn't completely make up for the difference with ICBC's insanely high insurance rates.
<sigh>

I see comparisons all the time. ICBC is reasonable enough. Go to the territories and $10,000/yr is not uncommon, more if the plates are from outside the territory. Ontario is typically more expensive than BC Canada is just an expensive place to insure a vehicle (the one exception noted). Canadian insurers, which are often the same insurers as operate in the UK, are not making a fortune on cars here. You're right that the overall cost of operation of a car might be lower though, cheap petrol, no congestion charges, parking for $800/month even in cities.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 4:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the info. We're planning to do a recce trip next summer and would love to meet up with someone who has been there and done that. If you don't mind, I'll PM you closer to the time?
No worries. I'll share my experience for a large bar of Cadbury's dairy milk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.