Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

are you tired of all the justifying?

are you tired of all the justifying?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are you tired of all the justifying?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OI, I'm considering my 8th
Where to this time ?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:52 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Where to this time ?
States
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
States
Any particular one ? and why ?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 12:11 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
Erdinger is also on sale in the UK too.

Yeah, I have tried Amsterdam Blonde and by local NA brew standards its an OK beer.

Have you tried the Toronto brewed Steam Whistle, that ain't bad at all, the best NA beer Ive tried to date... an award winning beer from an award winning micro-brewery.

M.
The steamwhistle brewery is the one below CN Tower I think? I did try Steamwhistle but I must admit cannot remember the experience. I will have to wet my whistle with that one aswell.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 1:45 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Any particular one ?
A 'desert' one.
and why ?
I want to run the risk of being shot as often as I'm asked to repeat myself
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
I just got back from the border were we went to land with new PR visas. It's the second time I took precious time off work and dragged my wife and children down there. I won't bore you with our story. Compared to many people who post here our journey has been easy. My company even paid a lawyer to handle the PR. All I needed was to supply the documents, although having moved some 22 times in the last 18 years you can perhaps imagine some of the complications.

The truth is that deep down after all we did to get them I actually wanted them to refuse us. I was almost willing them to present me with one more stupid pointless bureaucratic hoop to jump through so I could tell them to get stuffed. I'm tired of justifying myself and my family to these people. My wife and I are both 38 years old. Like many of the folks I read about here, we are both fully qualified and experienced professionals. We are here because I was head hunted by a Canadian company. We never came here looking for some Canuk fantasy utopia, and we would leave tomorrow if a better offer came up. We pay (a lot of) tax, we have integrated and made friends in our local community and our children are doing well at the local school. Yet we are second class citizens, no not even that - we aren't citizens at all.

So we have to keep justifying ourselves. My wife wants to work as a teacher, so she needs a certificate from the Ontario College to Teachers. So there's another inexplicable fee and she's back on the phone to confused secretaries at her old colleges in the UK trying to get those completely pointless and non-existent 'sealed' transcripts again: "no! one copy in a sealed envelope...what do you mean you don't have a university stamp!". Looking on the bright side, at least now we have PRs I won't have to go cap in hand to the local school board in September for special permission for my children to attend school.

Anyway I said I wouldn't bore you all and I already have, so my question to you all is this: don't you just get tired of it? Doesn't it make you look around and think, is it really worth all this just to live in this place? Perhaps that's the real purpose behind all the bureaucracy - to put people off. It's worked for me. I'm defeated and I've had enough. After 10 years of being foreigners we want to be citizens again, and by chance of birth this means the UK.

Back at the border when the CIC guy gave us our PRs he said 'congratulations'. I think he was surprised by my unenthusiastic response. We bought the kids a Hershey bar across the street and drove home. On the way back the kids fell asleep and we began plotting our departure from Canada.
It's called "job protectionism".
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

I just got back from the border were we went to land with new PR visas. It's the second time I took precious time off work and dragged my wife and children down there. I won't bore you with our story. Compared to many people who post here our journey has been easy. My company even paid a lawyer to handle the PR. All I needed was to supply the documents, although having moved some 22 times in the last 18 years you can perhaps imagine some of the complications.

The truth is that deep down after all we did to get them I actually wanted them to refuse us. I was almost willing them to present me with one more stupid pointless bureaucratic hoop to jump through so I could tell them to get stuffed. I'm tired of justifying myself and my family to these people. My wife and I are both 38 years old. Like many of the folks I read about here, we are both fully qualified and experienced professionals. We are here because I was head hunted by a Canadian company. We never came here looking for some Canuk fantasy utopia, and we would leave tomorrow if a better offer came up. We pay (a lot of) tax, we have integrated and made friends in our local community and our children are doing well at the local school. Yet we are second class citizens, no not even that - we aren't citizens at all.

So we have to keep justifying ourselves. My wife wants to work as a teacher, so she needs a certificate from the Ontario College to Teachers. So there's another inexplicable fee and she's back on the phone to confused secretaries at her old colleges in the UK trying to get those completely pointless and non-existent 'sealed' transcripts again: "no! one copy in a sealed envelope...what do you mean you don't have a university stamp!". Looking on the bright side, at least now we have PRs I won't have to go cap in hand to the local school board in September for special permission for my children to attend school.

Anyway I said I wouldn't bore you all and I already have, so my question to you all is this: don't you just get tired of it? Doesn't it make you look around and think, is it really worth all this just to live in this place? Perhaps that's the real purpose behind all the bureaucracy - to put people off. It's worked for me. I'm defeated and I've had enough. After 10 years of being foreigners we want to be citizens again, and by chance of birth this means the UK.

Back at the border when the CIC guy gave us our PRs he said 'congratulations'. I think he was surprised by my unenthusiastic response. We bought the kids a Hershey bar across the street and drove home. On the way back the kids fell asleep and we began plotting our departure from Canada.
Sorry to hear you are not enjoying being in Canada.
For us it was so worth the journey, all the family love it here and we feel more at home here than anywhere else. The reality far surpases any dream I had of living in Canada. We have been here 3yrs and all the newbies (from all over the world) that we know love it too.

Last edited by Paradisefound; Aug 17th 2008 at 6:07 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Well i'm surprized I got shot down by so many of you for my comments. I thought most of you going through the immigration process would understand, or at least have some empathy...oh well.

I don't think I was being arrogant at all, and nothing I said should have implied that. I think some of you understood my frustration - thank you...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
Sorry to hear you are not enjoying being in Canada.
Thank's but that's not really it at all. I like Canada. I'm just weary of being a foreigner - anywhere!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:14 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank's but that's not really it at all. I like Canada. I'm just weary of being a foreigner - anywhere!
Then you'll only truly be happy back in Little Britain !

Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

I can understand your post, I am spent the majority of my life living abroad. I was born in the UK, but grew up in Australia, however we came back to Britain 3 times as my parents couldn't decide on where to settle.
When I was 15 my parents then decided to pick up sticks and move to Malta (my mum's place of birth) and we stayed there for 2 years. I am now back in the UK, but I no longer feel I belong anywhere.
I have felt like a foreigner wherever I go now and sometimes you just want a sense of belonging.

Our move to Canada though is our choice, and I feel that if I have to jump through fire to get there I will. I don't relish the thought of being a foreigner yet again in another country but like Australia I feel Canada is just becoming one big melting pot anyway and I hope eventually I will feel as if I belong.

I hear that you do enjoy your life in Canada but I guess feel that's it's not worth it to still feel like a foreigner. However you are so close to having all that hard work be worthwhile. Only you know your true feelings and only you and your family can decide what the best move is.

The immigration process is not easy for anyone I would imagine, it's a painsaking process as you know, but there are many of us that would do it all again if it means we acheive that better life we are all hoping for.

I do hope you find what you are looking for.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Jolly Jack Tar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i'm surprized I got shot down by so many of you for my comments. I thought most of you going through the immigration process would understand, or at least have some empathy...oh well.

I don't think I was being arrogant at all, and nothing I said should have implied that. I think some of you understood my frustration - thank you...
I dont think I shot you down, I just told you how it was from my angle of things. I having been blessed with having a Canadian teacher at school I became intrigued with the History of this country. And my point is ....... and this is the arrogant side of me coming out now ! I think as an Englishman I have a right to live here. The United States have tried to invade this country 12 times, the most famous of which was the war of 1812. they were defeated by a defending force of 4000 English soldiers, led by the governor Sir George Prevost. So if it wasn't for us English chaps, this country would be under a Bush administration and under the stars and stripes. I like to think of us Brits as a silent invasion force, our numbers are building every day, the mind boggles with the endless possibilities. And so my friend......Read up on Canadian history it will give you an element of comfort and maybe you wont feel such a johnny foriener, have a great day
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:38 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Maybe the OP is just one of those people who are impossible to please...
I mean, four international relocations???

Me thinks you're perhaps looking for something that doesnt exist.
Maybe at 4 relocations he can spot a crap immigrations system when he sees it..

I’ve relocated 3 times internationally. And if the right job turns up I’ll move again…. and again…… maybe some of us aren’t prepared to get stuck in a rut or second rate system and pretend that it’s wonderful
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks you guys for your understanding. I'm really struggling to make up mind about what to do next for the whole family's best interests "should I stay or should I go" keeps buzzing in my head. Plenty of positive and negative arguments both ways...

My wife and I are tired of discussing it. Seems like we have spent a lifetime "planning the next move". We just can't resist looking for better opportunities all the time. It becomes a habit and that's why we have moved so many times...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Jolly Jack Tar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you guys for your understanding. I'm really struggling to make up mind about what to do next for the whole family's best interests "should I stay or should I go" keeps buzzing in my head. Plenty of positive and negative arguments both ways...

My wife and I are tired of discussing it. Seems like we have spent a lifetime "planning the next move". We just can't resist looking for better opportunities all the time. It becomes a habit and that's why we have moved so many times...
You have a tough decision to make, made harder by the fact that you have children to consider, I dont envy you. My decision to come here was easy, I had just left the military after 25 years service. that was 25 years of being kicked from pillar to post, one country or another, I left home at sixteen and never settled until now. My decision to stay here is easy, I have a nice house on an acreage in the middle of the prairies, I have horses so when the mood takes me I just saddle up and go somewhere. I could never have this kind of opportunity in the UK Its just me and the wife here so nobody else to consider. So whatever decision you come to I'm sure it will be the right one, I myself am tired of moving around. The sign at the end of my lane does not bear my Name it simply says ' DUNROAMIN'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.