Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

are you tired of all the justifying?

are you tired of all the justifying?

Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are you tired of all the justifying?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They are - all children of TWP holders are entitled to free schooling (but after all, all TWP holders are also Canadian taxpayers too once they start working!).

I don't understand why the OP needed 'special permission' though, he should have just been able to enrol his children in school as any other Canadian child. No 'permission' should have been required, certainly the schools we've made enquiries at haven't made any mention of anything like that.

From the Wiki:

Most government-funded school jurisdictions treat children of work permit holders like other residents of Canada. That is, they provide them with schooling that essentially is free. You may apply for Study Permits for the minor children who are accompanying you to Canada if you wish. However, in most instances that will not be necessary. They will be allowed to register in school just like other residents of Canada.
It was the "special permission" that made me curious. I realise that people on TWP's get free schooling but, as the OP seems to be different from everyoe else, I though he might be some sort of "special" temporary worker
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Nope! It is what you make of it, like anywhere. It does seem a bit pointless going to live somewhere then wanting to go somewhere else because there are some rules in place. Rules are in place so cater for the majority, not individuals who feel they are better than everyone else and should be treated differently.
If you don't feel at home somewhere why stay? You don't have to just move once, you move till you feel at home.

I don't think the poster says they are better than anyone else they just point to the frustrations of the beurocracy and immigration systems and ask everyone else if it is really worth it. I am going through the system and it is frustrating but I will try and make a go of it. If I don't like Canada I'll leave and go somewhere else. It won't be because I think I'm better than anyone I just want to have new and interesting experiences. That said I have spent time in Canada so touch wood it will work out- anyone have a crystal ball????

Right I'm off to bed I have had my fair share of Friday night beers (Peroni, good italian beer if anyone is interested), I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 15th 2008 at 11:11 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:23 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

" Peroni, good italian beer " - Hmmm, over priced muck IMO.

Find a bar that sells Erdinger, thats pure quality.

M.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:42 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be a thread that would have been better posted elsewhere on the Canadian forum.

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
2. I'm not disappointed with my life in Canada, I just don't thank Canada for that life.
Fair enough. Your OP suggests you think a lot of your own achievements.

I'm not privileged to be here.
Yes, you are. Like it or not, unless you are a citizen (or a member of a First Nation?) you have no "right" to live in Canada.

3. I'm not whining (well OK perhaps just a bit) It's just the way I feel after going through the stupid PR process.

The best Analogy I can think of: It's like waiting outside a night club. I wait ages and then the bouncer looks me and my whole family up and down to see if we are cool enough to get in. I look at the stupid bouncer and think "what makes you qualified to make judgments on me?" Finally we get let in and I think, I'm only coming in this club because I work here. It's a nice enough club but I'm not here to party...
Yep, you are whining. Everybody goes through the same assessment. If you don't like it you should have stuck with your work permit.

Immigration control is just politics. Of all the silly hoops we jump through, are any of them really making Canada safer and protecting Canadian jobs? No. It's just like the bouncer at night club. He's there to make the club look more exclusive to the punters so they can charge more for the drinks.
Immigration control is bureaucratic and can be political. Having lived and worked in several countries, I've yet to come across one that doesn't have some bureaucracy associated with living there.

I really am at a loss as to why you bothered with your PR. Perhaps you were just having a bad day when you started this thread, or perhaps you are just want ready for an easy life. Believe it or not, Canada won't miss you!

Last edited by acer rose; Aug 16th 2008 at 12:45 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:04 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
" Peroni, good italian beer " - Hmmm, over priced muck IMO.

Find a bar that sells Erdinger, thats pure quality.

M.
Do they do Erdinger on tap or would I find it in a bottle?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:09 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Hi...

Erdinger is a draught/tap beer.

There are two different types, one is dark ( Erdinger Dunkel Weissbier )... I don't like that one as much... the other, 'ERDINGER WEISSBIER' is a traditional lager colour.

I'm a big fan of premium lagers and have tried many, Erdinger really is the best draught lager I have ever drank, it is available in Canada, but 'cos its pricey few bars sell it.

In Toronto/Ontario its sold by The Beer Store, but only by the 1/2 & full keg - if your having a party its worth considering.

It's actually an unusual lager 'cos its a wheat beer, that's what gives it it's fantastic rich & full body, and after 4 or 5 you will feel satisfyingly full - it's that rich...

...Etalon Weissbier is another tasty wheat beer, even richer than Erdinger, some say too rich !

I have tried Peroni, but IMO, it's taste is way too weak, and with an unsubstantial body its bordering on the bland.

Hoegaarden is also available there, a great 'white beer' with a slight citrus twang, great for the hot summers.

The cheapest imported beer I had in TO was Kronenbourg, a good beer for the price... and look out for Cobra, that's another bargain.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/default.asp

HTH,

M.

Last edited by loser40; Aug 16th 2008 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

Jolly Jack Tar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I might as well throw in my ten penneth, I to had a crap time with the immigration process, three and a half years of it. But I made it through. Yes I to feel like a second class citizen sometimes, especially when the locals give me a ribbing for being English, I sometimes think they are being serious, but they are not. There are also the ones who constantly look down upon me, they are the ones with money and hand me down loyalties, but that dont worry me non because I have what I have through my own graft and merits, I am beholding to nobody. So what am I getting at ? well I have read all the posts in this thread and I have found it enlightening to know that even though we are all immigrants in a foriegn land with true Bulldog spirit we are making a go of it. The head of state of this country is Her Majesty the Queen, our Queen, the Queen of England. up until 1965 the Union Jack, the flag of England, used to fly above this country. You never know it might do again. As more and more Brits come to this country we could become a Majority. So when times seem tough, "Put Your Big Girl Panties On and Deal With It" Chin Chin PS its my birthday 'One year Older and Non the Wiser'
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the OP is just one of those people who are impossible to please...
I mean, four international relocations???

Me thinks you're perhaps looking for something that doesnt exist.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Hi...

Erdinger is a draught/tap beer.

There are two different types, one is dark ( Erdinger Dunkel Weissbier )... I don't like that one as much... the other, 'ERDINGER WEISSBIER' is a traditional lager colour.

I'm a big fan of premium lagers and have tried many, Erdinger really is the best draught lager I have ever drank, it is available in Canada, but 'cos its pricey few bars sell it.

In Toronto/Ontario its sold by The Beer Store, but only by the 1/2 & full keg - if your having a party its worth considering.

It's actually an unusual lager 'cos its a wheat beer, that's what gives it it's fantastic rich & full body, and after 4 or 5 you will feel satisfyingly full - it's that rich...

...Etalon Weissbier is another tasty wheat beer, even richer than Erdinger, some say too rich !

I have tried Peroni, but IMO, it's taste is way too weak, and with an unsubstantial body its bordering on the bland.

Hoegaarden is also available there, a great 'white beer' with a slight citrus twang, great for the hot summers.

The cheapest imported beer I had in TO was Kronenbourg, a good beer for the price... and look out for Cobra, that's another bargain.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/default.asp

HTH,

M.
Cobra, Kronenburg and Hoegaarden are all known to me. I think Peroni is great if it is served properly and chilled. I do not think I have seen Erdlinger yet? I live in London (UK) so will keep my eyes open.

I may well be in Toronto in November so will swing by the beerstore for Erdlinger Weissbier.

What do you make of Amsterdam Blonde? That was always a beer I enjoyed when I was in Toronto.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:57 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Maybe the OP is just one of those people who are impossible to please...
I mean, four international relocations???
Me thinks you're perhaps looking for something that doesnt exist.
OI, I'm considering my 8th
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:59 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
OI, I'm considering my 8th
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:31 pm
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Martindale

What do you make of Amsterdam Blonde?
She sounds like my kinda drink
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:19 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Erdinger is also on sale in the UK too.

Yeah, I have tried Amsterdam Blonde and by local NA brew standards its an OK beer.

Have you tried the Toronto brewed Steam Whistle, that ain't bad at all, the best NA beer Ive tried to date... an award winning beer from an award winning micro-brewery.

M.

Last edited by loser40; Aug 16th 2008 at 7:25 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Erdinger is also on sale in the UK too.

Yeah, I have tried Amsterdam Blonde and by local NA brew standards its an OK beer.

Have you tried the Toronto brewed Steam Whistle, that ain't bad at all, the best NA beer Ive tried to date... an award winning beer from an award winning micro-brewery.

M.

Devoid of taste and body. If you want a quality local beer try Cameron's Auburn.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:30 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Oh...

Don't think Ive ever tried Cameron's Auburn, unless it's one of the cherry? flavoured lagers ?

Next time I'm in Canada I will look for it.

Thanks for the pointer,

M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.