Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

are you tired of all the justifying?

are you tired of all the justifying?

Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:08 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are you tired of all the justifying?

i do 'get' both sides of this posting but hey guys, can't we all be friends? it is hard work and i quess that's the point....you don't get something for nothing....unless you live in the uk, right?

yes, i would gladly swop places with you and have all the hassel that you seem to be going through, for which i can only say, booho shucks.....however, i'm so not looking forward to all the endless paperwork etc etc. it's hard enough up to the point that we are at, at the mo......

good luck to all trying, in the process of and those of you who have landed.....phew.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:15 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
you don't get something for nothing....unless you live in the uk, right?
Does your experience of the UK immigration system extend beyond reading Daily Mail editorials?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:24 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Does your experience of the UK immigration system extend beyond reading Daily Mail editorials?
NO............
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

NO............
Oh. Well, I admire your candour.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Nope! It is what you make of it, like anywhere. It does seem a bit pointless going to live somewhere then wanting to go somewhere else because there are some rules in place. Rules are in place so cater for the majority, not individuals who feel they are better than everyone else and should be treated differently.
Absolutely! The OP seems to have a very high opinion of himself

AND he hasn't answered the question regarding the "special permission" for schooling!

And he is boring!

Last edited by fuschiagirl; Aug 15th 2008 at 5:02 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:58 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

NO............
I can vouch that the UK immigration system is just as pathetic and small minded as a the Canadian one, having spend many days in Croydon, once turning up and waiting 5 hours so somebody could photocopy a page of my passport just so my wife could get her visa (she’s Canadian) renewed
I think the reality here is that for many Canada doesn’t turn out to be as good as all the hype, and certainly once you have the big house, it has very little extra to offer that can’t be found in many other equally prosperous 1st world places
The result is disappointment, often aggravated by a governmental system that is slow and incompetent in may areas when compared to similar nations..
I like living in Canada but it’s a long way from perfect
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
...because when we enrolled our children at school they told us we had to. As my 'status in Canada' was temporary worker, my children were not permitted to study without special permission. Now it says 'immigrant' on my passport they can.
I did answer the question!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

OK lots of you seem to have misunderstood me.

1. I knew exactly what to expect. This is my 4th international move.

2. I'm not disappointed with my life in Canada, I just don't thank Canada for that life. I earn my way like everyone else. I'm not privileged to be here. I'm not less qualified than Canadians. I'm happy and productive here just as I was in other countries I have lived.

3. I'm not whining (well OK perhaps just a bit) It's just the way I feel after going through the stupid PR process.

The best Analogy I can think of: It's like waiting outside a night club. I wait ages and then the bouncer looks me and my whole family up and down to see if we are cool enough to get in. I look at the stupid bouncer and think "what makes you qualified to make judgments on me?" Finally we get let in and I think, I'm only coming in this club because I work here. It's a nice enough club but I'm not here to party...

Immigration control is just politics. Of all the silly hoops we jump through, are any of them really making Canada safer and protecting Canadian jobs? No. It's just like the bouncer at night club. He's there to make the club look more exclusive to the punters so they can charge more for the drinks. If I wanted to come to Canada to commit crime and work illegally I would enter illegally. I don't think it would be hard to do.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

dieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of light

I've had a complete nightmare with a PR which is still being processed after 33 months. I'm here on a work permit but can't change jobs...its very annoying.
However it was our choice to put ourselves through this, and I just laugh at the immigration people (not out loud!) when we come in and out of Canada. They are just jobs-worths like traffic wardens so you shouldnt let them rile you up...

To end my point, I would say that if coming to Canada was too easy and we could just bowl up and live here forever without this annoying process it would turn into the Costa Del Sol... and that sucks.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dieseltank
...it would turn into the Costa Del Sol... and that sucks.
ok good point!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Your moaning that you had to take 2 occasions off work to progress in the process, my heart bleeds.
I would just like to point out that it wasn't me that said that

I think this completely ilustrates my point. Why on earth do you feel you have to go through a more stringent verification and justifiction to work in your profesion in Canada compared to in your home country? If you were a Canadian citizen you would not be tested in this way. Why should there be such double standards? Do you feel your experience and education is not on par with your superiour Canadian colleagues? I do not. Under this system the ones with the 'high standards' as you put it will only be the imigrants.
Actually, there were a few Canadian citizens sitting exams with me. Fair enough, they had done their training in different countries, but they still had to sit the Canadian midwifery exam! I only wish that the healthcare system in this country had the same high standards required for immigrants coming to work here. I know of one immigrant midwife who worked in a UK hospital for months before it was discovered that she didn't actually have a midwifery qualification!!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I did answer the question!
Sorry - I read the replies too quickly

I still don't see why you think it was unreasonable for you to have to obtain "special permission" for schooling. I presume you meant "free schooling"?

You were classed as a "temporary worker" and if all the "temporary workers" were allowed free schooling for their children then it would be a burden on the Canadian taxpayer.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:02 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

ManBearPig -

If I were feeling like you I'd just decide to put my feelings on the back burner and wait 'till the PR is soughted.

Then, after a couple of months I'd reevaluate, maybe take a Canadian holiday, spoil myself with some high street/new car therapy, and consider if things really are that bad in Canada after all.

I get the feeling that you're frustrated that things are taking so long, when it all drops into place and the stress's have passed you will see things differently - hang in there.

M.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
Sorry - I read the replies too quickly

I still don't see why you think it was unreasonable for you to have to obtain "special permission" for schooling. I presume you meant "free schooling"?

You were classed as a "temporary worker" and if all the "temporary workers" were allowed free schooling for their children then it would be a burden on the Canadian taxpayer.
I had no problem with free schooling for the young'un when I was here on TWP ?!?!?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
They are - all children of TWP holders are entitled to free schooling (but after all, all TWP holders are also Canadian taxpayers too once they start working!).

I don't understand why the OP needed 'special permission' though, he should have just been able to enrol his children in school as any other Canadian child. No 'permission' should have been required, certainly the schools we've made enquiries at haven't made any mention of anything like that.

From the Wiki:

Most government-funded school jurisdictions treat children of work permit holders like other residents of Canada. That is, they provide them with schooling that essentially is free. You may apply for Study Permits for the minor children who are accompanying you to Canada if you wish. However, in most instances that will not be necessary. They will be allowed to register in school just like other residents of Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.