Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:07 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

=dbd33]I was in bar, Mickey Finn's, in Toronto (before it moved on to Gerrard). A gang of yobs the other side of the partition were talking loudly about the voice of the woman across the table from me.

"You know what that is, eh ?"

"That's a ****ing Newfie"

"There's a ****ing Newfie in here"

I went over the partition. Eventually a bouncer pounded my head into the sidewalk. I have scars.

In seven years of living with a woman from Newfoundland I heard the term used perjoratively countless times.
Hope they have more scars than you do.
I recently met my first real-life living breathing standing Newfie.....nice guy.
Takes 'em as I finds 'em, me.
Screw racism, regionalism, province-ism and the whole godamned lot of it.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Jan 11th 2006 at 12:22 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Hope they have more scars than you do.
I recently met my first real-life living breathing standing Newfie.....nice guy.
Takes 'em as I finds 'em, me.
Screw racism, regionalism, province-ism and the whole godamned lot of it.

Rich.
It all depends on the context. Most people can use "Newfie" without it being a problem. I agree with oceanMDX that it's not as loaded as reclaimed words such as "queer" or "nigger", nonetheless, it's not as innocent as "Brit".
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Until I saw this thread, I had never even given perception of the word "Brit" as offensive, a thought!!! I wouldn't have thought it offensive to anyone, anywhere. Now, having read this; I would agree with Judy's interpretation.

Maybe my view is due to the fact that I AM, indeed, a true "Brit" (as in British, not solely English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish), because I have heritage in the former three, and rumour in the family has it, that there is also some Irish, too. (Must be responsible for me 'blonde' moments....lol )

Or am I missing something, and it's the abbreviated "Brit" that's the issue, rather than being referred to as "British"?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:41 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was in bar, Mick E Finn's, in Toronto (before it moved on to Gerrard). A gang of yobs the other side of the partition were talking loudly about the voice of the woman across the table from me.

"You know what that is, eh ?"

"That's a ****ing Newfie"

"There's a ****ing Newfie in here"

I went over the partition. Eventually a bouncer pounded my head into the sidewalk. I have scars.

In seven years of living with a woman from Newfoundland I heard the term used perjoratively countless times.
Well of course whenever you use ****ing before any term, it is intended to be offensive. Likewise, "American" is not offensive by itself but ****ing American sure is offensive.

By the way, I used to live in Newfoundland.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Well of course whenever you use ****ing before any term, it is intended to be offensive. Likewise, "American" is not offensive by itself but ****ing American sure is offensive.

By the way, I used to live in Newfoundland.
Obviously "Newfie" is not offensive in Newfoundland. Whereabouts where you ?
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:46 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Obviously "Newfie" is not offensive in Newfoundland. Whereabouts where you ?
After graduating from university, I lived in Lewisporte for 6 months, then moved to Grand Falls and spent 6 months there.

"Newfie" is not offensive anywhere in Canada. ****ing Newfie is offensive.

There are Newfie clubs all over Canada:

http://www.offdarock.com/newfieClubs.asp

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 11th 2006 at 12:49 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

After graduating from university, I lived in Lewisporte for 6 months, then moved to Grand Falls and spent 6 months there.
On my. I was screeched in at a reunion of the Lewisporte RHS.

The exact equivalent of "Newfie" is "Injun". My Cree friends use it constantly, other people should not.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:52 am
mañana is my busiest day

On my. I was screeched in at a reunion of the Lewisporte RHS.

The exact equivalent of "Newfie" is "Injun". My Cree friends use it constantly, other people should not.
Sorry, but I have to correct you yet again. In no way is "Newfie" somehow equivalent to "Injun". Furthermore, I've never heard an Indian use the word "Injun", and I can guarantee that I dealt with many more Crees than you.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

Sorry, but I have to correct you yet again. In no way is "Newfie" somehow equivalent to "Injun". Furthermore, I've never heard an Indian use the word "Injun", and I can guarantee that I dealt with many more Crees than you.
You cannot guarantee anything over the interweby thing. Have you never been in a liquor store with a resident of a reserve ? Never seen one produce proof of status, something called an "Injun Card" ? I believe there's even a popular, if bitter, song called "Injun Card".
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

What's this, eh ?

http://www.snowwowl.com/gwritindiancard.html
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

"Newfie" is not offensive anywhere in Canada. ****ing Newfie is offensive.

There are Newfie clubs all over Canada:

http://www.offdarock.com/newfieClubs.asp
I note your edit. Of course there are Newfie clubs, there's even a place on the Danforth that claims to be Canada's only Greek-Newfie bar (!) Similarly, at the end of our street is an Irish pub, it's called Paddy's, the patrons refer to themselves as "Mick's"; Scottish slang for Catholics. Again, they can say it, I can't.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Calgal
Until I saw this thread, I had never even given perception of the word "Brit" as offensive, a thought!!! I wouldn't have thought it offensive to anyone, anywhere. Now, having read this; I would agree with Judy's interpretation.

Maybe my view is due to the fact that I AM, indeed, a true "Brit" (as in British, not solely English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish), because I have heritage in the former three, and rumour in the family has it, that there is also some Irish, too. (Must be responsible for me 'blonde' moments....lol )

Or am I missing something, and it's the abbreviated "Brit" that's the issue, rather than being referred to as "British"?
Perhaps if Brit had been used historically as a put down we may be more sensitive. Canadians especially seniors tend to use Brit with affection.
No Blacks, Irish or dogs was acceptable were I grew up in North London, as was "No long haired undesirables served" in Cornwall up until recent times.
I have heard the term "so Canadian" used by citizens of US to describe a daft action.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:11 am
mañana is my busiest day

You cannot guarantee anything over the interweby thing. Have you never been in a liquor store with a resident of a reserve ? Never seen one produce proof of status, something called an "Injun Card" ? I believe there's even a popular, if bitter, song called "Injun Card".
"Injun" is an American term, not a Canadian one in the first place. In Canada, Aboriginals have what is called a "Treaty Card", or "Indian Card". I used to employ a "Treaty Indian" and she had a "Treaty Card". In Canada, Indians don't refer to this card as an "Injun Card" - in the US maybe they do, but not in Canada.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:13 am
mañana is my busiest day

From what I can see... just an irrelevant web site. I wasn't able to Google any "Injun clubs", but there were over 20,000 references to "Newfie Clubs".

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 11th 2006 at 1:20 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hudman
I have heard the term "so Canadian" used by citizens of US to describe a daft action.
In this house it doesn't mean "daft" so much as politically correct to the point of indecision. "Don't be so Canadian" is what I hear when I hesitate about doing something that's illegal here but usual in Europe; say having wine with a picnic or sex in a car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.