Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:22 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by dbd33
I heard an American, from Port Arthur TX, say exactly that over the holidays. As we were in a Mexican restaurant this remark caused a horrified hush to fall over the table. I tactfully moved the conversation along by commenting that we Brits similarly lump everyone from the Indian subcontinent together.
Your food was served extra salty ?

Rich
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard an American, from Port Arthur TX, say exactly that over the holidays. As we were in a Mexican restaurant this remark caused a horrified hush to fall over the table. I tactfully moved the conversation along by commenting that we Brits similarly lump everyone from the Indian subcontinent together.

yeah we do...lol but I speak the truff and they do all look the same. When I've been in China and Japan I find it hard to tell who's from where..good job I note the airport I land at...lol
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah we do...lol but I speak the truff and they do all look the same. When I've been in China and Japan I find it hard to tell who's from where..good job I note the airport I land at...lol
http://www.alllooksame.com/
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

oh honestly, whatever next..lol I'll take the test this evening...tks
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

oh honestly, whatever next..lol I'll take the test this evening...tks

It's very difficult, even if you're Asian.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:30 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
But if a Briton considers "Brit" to be offensive then isnt it offensive by definition.
No, not in the Canadian context. You are living within the Canadian cultural milieu - not the other way around. Use of the term "Canuck" can be considered offensive in the US from what I have been told by some Americans, but "Canuck" is definitely not offensive in Canada. It all depends on where you are when you use a term.

"Fag" is an offensive term for a homosexual in Canada, in England it refers to a cigarette - as you know. Should everyone in England stop using the term "fag" because some Canadian homosexual living there could possibly be offended? See what I mean?

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 10th 2006 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

oh really I didn't know that...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:34 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I am ashamed I only got 6
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:43 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
The point is NOT wether canadians per se find these words offensive BUT if the 'racial' groups to which they are being applied finds them offensive.
Then you should stop using the word "fag" in England.

You point is off the mark and should be amend to: "if the Canadian 'racial' groups to which the term is applied finds them offensive, then the word should not be used".

We (Canadians) can't change our use of words everytime a foreigner takes a term the wrong way. It is incumbent upon the newcomer to understand the use (and meaning) of terms in Canadian English.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 10th 2006 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:47 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Then you should stop using the word "fag" in England.

You point is off the mark and should be amend to: "if the Canadian 'racial' groups to which the term is applied finds them offensive, then the word should not be used".

We (Canadians) can't change our use of words everytime a foreigner takes a term the wrong way. It is incumbent upon the newcomer to understand the use (and meaning) of terms in Canadian English.

Sorry old bean but gays are not a racial group!!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:48 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by annie3-4
I guess this means I wont be able to ask people if they want to nip out for a fag anymore....
You beat me to that one. You also better not ask anyone to "knock you up" in the morning.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 10:58 pm
mañana is my busiest day

"Newfie" is one.

No, Newfie is not offensive in Canada - period! It is not like the use of the "N-word" in the Caribbean. The Blacks use it among themselves, but a stranger probably shouldn't.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

lol I don't care if people call me a Brit, it's one of the nicer names I've been called for sure esp coming from Liverpool However I was surprised to hear that it's apparently rude to call people from Mexico > Mexicans..they are referred to as Hispanics...anyone know the reason for that
No, it is not rude to call people from Mexico Mexicans. The term "Hispanic" is a US term, it is not used in Latin America - including Mexico. "Hispanic" refers to race rather than nationality. Americans see reality much more in terms of race than do Canadians.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
No, Newfie is not offensive in Canada - period!
I was in bar, Mick E Finn's, in Toronto (before it moved on to Gerrard). A gang of yobs the other side of the partition were talking loudly about the voice of the woman across the table from me.

"You know what that is, eh ?"

"That's a ****ing Newfie"

"There's a ****ing Newfie in here"

I went over the partition. Eventually a bouncer pounded my head into the sidewalk. I have scars.

In seven years of living with a woman from Newfoundland I heard the term used perjoratively countless times.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 11th 2006 at 12:10 am.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I am ashamed I only got 6
You got one more than me! *hangs head in shame and stands in corner*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.