Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
This is the first time I've realised that some people regard Brit as an offensive term.
Me too. I think batty's winding us up.

I used to think of it as being in the same league as Aussie or Kiwi. According to my understanding it was neutral at worst and bordering on affectionate at best.
That's my understanding.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Me too. I think batty's winding us up.

That's my understanding.
no honest!! i do find it offensive but not so much now that i hear its used affectionately

not many nations are affectionate to the british

too much binge drinking in the med i think
and nobody mention the empire
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:52 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
I think "Aussie" is OK as I have heard them use it - but am happy to be corrected should anyone know
Now I'm really confused. I could swear I've seen umpteen posts in which Britons on this forum have used Brit.

Like the thread entitled Brits in Winnipeg, which MapleDragon started by saying, "I know I'm not the only Brit living in Winnipeg."

Perhaps it's one of those cases in which the members of a given group find it okay to call themselves by a certain nickname but find it offensive if others call them by that name. Or possibly it's one of those instances in which it's okay for a close friend to use a term but not okay for a more distant acquaintance to use it.

I'm not trying to be obtuse. I think there are instances like that. For example, I think there are nicknames that members of the army, navy and air force use for themselves but that are considered to be rude if they're used by civilians.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
no honest!! i do find it offensive but not so much now that i hear its used affectionately

not many nations are affectionate to the british

too much binge drinking in the med i think
and nobody mention the empire
I can't say I know many Canadians but I have vast experience of dealing with Americans. Judy has their usage of "Brit" spot on. If they are feeling less kind then combinations of "commie" "pinko" "limey" "Eurotrash" and "faggot" are more usual.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Perhaps it's one of those cases in which the members of a given group find it okay to call themselves by a certain nickname but find it offensive if others call them by that name. Or possibly it's one of those instances in which it's okay for a close friend to use a term but not okay for a more distant acquaintance to use it.

I'm not trying to be obtuse. I think there are instances like that.
"Newfie" is one.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

lol I don't care if people call me a Brit, it's one of the nicer names I've been called for sure esp coming from Liverpool However I was surprised to hear that it's apparently rude to call people from Mexico > Mexicans..they are referred to as Hispanics...anyone know the reason for that
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I know many Canadians but I have vast experience of dealing with Americans. Judy has their usage of "Brit" spot on. If they are feeling less kind then combinations of "commie" "pinko" "limey" "Eurotrash" and "faggot" are more usual.
you could get them all in one sentence if you tried, no mistaking that insult then!, would be an achievment to be proud of to be called all that eh?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol I don't care if people call me a Brit, it's one of the nicer names I've been called for sure esp coming from Liverpool However I was surprised to hear that it's apparently rude to call people from Mexico > Mexicans..they are referred to as Hispanics...anyone know the reason for that
I'm not so sure about that. Hispanic is a term invented for the census meaning anyone vaguely South American looking. I don't think people self-identify as Hispanic. Latino is, I think, safer.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure about that. Hispanic is a term invented for the census meaning anyone vaguely South American looking. I don't think people self-identify as Hispanic. Latino is, I think, safer.
What ABOOT 'Spic?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:01 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

YThis is the first time I've realised that some people regard Brit as an offensive term.
Yeah me too! And I've lived here for over four years! My mind is racing through every conversation I've had since being here! I had no idea... and no one ever said anything! :scared:
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
What ABOOT 'Spic?
I have, on the phone, a building contractor who is in Phoenix. A Guatemalan. Someone who ought to know.

"There's nothing wrong with using 'Mexican', if the person is from Mexico but, make sure they're not from Honduras or Columbia. Otherwise, use Latino or don't use anything.".
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas]Yeah me too! And I've lived here for over four years! My mind is racing through every conversation I've had since being here! I had no idea... and no one ever said anything! :scared:[/QUOTE

nah I've never heard it being a problem...we are Brit..ish and proud .
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

I have, on the phone, a building contractor who is in Phoenix. A Guatemalan. Someone who ought to know.

"There's nothing wrong with using 'Mexican', if the person is from Mexico but, make sure they're not from Honduras or Columbia. Otherwise, use Latino or don't use anything.".

ok tks for that...they all look the same to me I can't tell where they're all from so I'd better not use anything....I'll keep schtummmm
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:11 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
...they all look the same to me I can't tell where they're all from
Now isnt that typical of a 'Brit'
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Now isnt that typical of a 'Brit'
I heard an American, from Port Arthur TX, say exactly that over the holidays. As we were in a Mexican restaurant this remark caused a horrified hush to fall over the table. I tactfully moved the conversation along by commenting that we Brits similarly lump everyone from the Indian subcontinent together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.