Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: You know you're becoming canadian when you...!

ok guys!

how much more candian have you become?

what do you find yourself doing or saying now?

i know i can't seem to say a sentence without the EH after it.
I bloody annoy myself now!

I know i becoming canadian becuase i buy tim hortons on every little journey. Can't live without it!

i was reading through this thread and we really did have some fun with it so i though 'WHAT THE HECK'
Lets have some more fun!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by babyblue
ok guys!

I know i becoming canadian becuase i buy tim hortons on every little journey. Can't live without it!

i was reading through this thread and we really did have some fun with it so i though 'WHAT THE HECK'
Lets have some more fun!
Hear the word "icing" and don't think of white sugar coating, but think of the puck being hit from one end of the ice to the other.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:21 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Use an automatic car starter and leave the car running when it's anything below 5 degrees, for 20 minutes !

Fill an insulated mug and drink coffee on the way to work. Better still, use one of those that are powered from the car electrical outlet.

Coffee fresh from the ground bean.

Bake your own bread.

Grow your own fruit.

Make jam.

etc

Rich.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 4:54 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

You know you are becoming Canadian when the tellers at your bank complain that too many of their customers have pig shit on their shoes and maple syrup on their money.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

....called Hockey (the stuff you play on grass in the UK) "FIELD HOCKEY" the other day, without even thinking twice....!

It's still "ICE HOCKEY" though, i guess i'm not that canadianiZed yet?.....

Apparently, us 'Canadians' are reverting to some more of the British spelling for certain words though! saw a CBC documentary on it a few weeks ago.

I think it all depends on how many natives you come into contact with. If all the people you know are Canadian by birth, then you won't get very far not using their words....My friend says i sound re-Britished after half an hour on the phone with my mum!!

And that's another one....we are "BRITISH" people. We're no longer just "English". Appologies to scots and welsh.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:06 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
And that's another one....we are "BRITISH" people. We're no longer just "English". Appologies to scots and welsh.
I consider myself English, for what that's worth, and is the answer I give if any Canadians ask me.

Rich.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I consider myself English, for what that's worth, and is the answer I give if any Canadians ask me.

Rich.
I'm English too. "Brit" always sounds insulting, and i think it used to be used in a perjorative way. - probably still is

I was once called a "limey party pooper"........
Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:26 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
I'm English too. "Brit" always sounds insulting, and i think it used to be used in a perjorative way. - probably still is
Certain news channels/progs here (Global Vancouver for one) openly refer to peeps as 'Brits' - personally I think it's insulting, sloppy, lazy, and unprofessional.

If they referred to people as Chinks (which is a similar abbreviation of the longer word and not explicitly inferring racism but laziness IMHO) there would be an outcry from the Chinese population of Vancouver.

Bunch of media arse.

Rich.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

ok guys!

Lets have some more fun!

Going into the supermarket for 20 minutes and leaving the Jeep engine running in the parking lot - there are so many bigger expensive trucks to nick, nobody'll wanna nick mine!!
Try doing that in the UK!!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:47 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Certain news channels/progs here (Global Vancouver for one) openly refer to peeps as 'Brits' - personally I think it's insulting, sloppy, lazy, and unprofessional.
In no way is the term "Brits" intended as an insult in Canada. Actually, it's more a term of endearment. I'm surprised you think it's insulting, sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.

If they referred to people as Chinks (which is a similar abbreviation of the longer word and not explicitly inferring racism but laziness IMHO) there would be an outcry from the Chinese population of Vancouver.

Bunch of media arse.

Rich.
The term "Chinks" is highly offensive in Canada - you won't likely hear it anyway.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jan 9th 2006 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you find yourself doing or saying?
Getting frustrated being unable to order an Extra Large Coffee with half a cream, as the Asian lady in broken Engrish tell's me she doesn't understand me because I have a funny accent.

Having to point at a tap (faucet) to indicate I want some "water", because they only seem to have "warder" in Canada.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by philcUK
Getting frustrated being unable to order an Extra Large Coffee with half a cream, as the Asian lady in broken Engrish tell's me she doesn't understand me because I have a funny accent.

Having to point at a tap (faucet) to indicate I want some "water", because they only seem to have "warder" in Canada.

You obviously arent hanging out in the right places!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
You obviously arent hanging out in the right places!
Correct, the Tim Horton's in Richmond is a terrible place.

Last edited by philcUK; Jan 9th 2006 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:49 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scouse
Do you mean apart from saying "When the hell is 'In Process' gonna change?"

Not a lot, really, but I like your line of thinking, eh!!
hey, im wid yeah there
Old Jan 10th 2006, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
In no way is the term "Brits" intended as an insult in Canada. Actually, it's more a term of endearment. I'm surprised you think it's insulting, sloppy, lazy and unprofessional.

The term "Chinks" is highly offensive in Canada - you won't likely hear it anyway.
how about a poll- is the term "brit" offensive? or canuck, we know frog is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.