Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

Daily Mail anyone ?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
To be fair, I think the "hoodies...." comment has become a kind of shorthand for posters trying to describe the state of disaffected, unemployed youth involved in crime, the dole culture which has developed and indeed the whole situation with the degradation of society as they see it developing in the UK.
But posters who mention it in that context comment like it's a rampant disease that affects every street corner and impacts the lives of every resident throughout the country.

It's utter bullshit.

If they want to see "...the state of disaffected, unemployed youth involved in crime...which has developed and indeed the whole situation with the degradation of society..." they should have a walk through the DTES in Vancouver at any time of the day or night. It's much more impacting than reading the sensationalist newspapers.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:44 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But posters who mention it in that context comment like it's a rampant disease that affects every street corner and impacts the lives of every resident throughout the country.

It's utter bullshit.

If they want to see "...the state of disaffected, unemployed youth involved in crime...which has developed and indeed the whole situation with the degradation of society..." they should have a walk through the DTES in Vancouver at any time of the day or night. It's much more impacting than reading the sensationalist newspapers.
I know and I agree.
It is naive to think that Canada doesn't have its own problems with social issues (and you don't have to go as far as the city to see it, either).

Maybe people who go to Canada on holiday or even on recce trips just don't go to the places that these things can be seen or they just don't notice them so much in the holiday mood or with other things like job or house-hunting on their minds.
I did notice it, but then I expected there to be such things here just as there were in the UK. It didn't have a significant or direct impact on my life in the UK and it doesn't here either.

I just wanted to say that simplistic phrases like the "hoodie" thing can be used to convey a wider meaning and do not necessarily indicate that the poster is hung up on the superficial.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
Not questioning your reasons. They're your own.

The comment about hoodies on a street corner contained in any post is always bullshit and can never be an "excellent reply".
I agree and that was the whole reason I included it.

I guess I'm not being very good at getting my point across today
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:08 am
Just Joined

annbelcar65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping?

I'm brand new to this site, and it's brilliant. I wish I'd got into it sooner. This question 'emigrating or escaping' has obviously touched a lot of raw nerves, judging by responses. I wonder if where you're from originally has any bearing. My husband was totally the driving force for us to move and he's Scottish. Most Scottish people I know, seem to have a very adventurous spirit when it comes to travelling/emigrating, maybe coupled with the fact that they are prepared to go where the work is. When I raised objections to the move people were baffled. "why would you want to stay here?, what have you got here after all?, it'll be a better way of life!!!". That statement just makes me want to fizz up and explode! I don't know anyone in London(not just my family) who were happy for me to go and live in Canada(no offence Canada).So I'm wondering if there's a cultural thing about thinking the grass is always greener. I've not come on here purely to moan and groan - I think the people here are on the whole extremely nice and welcoming. Can you imagine a Londoner ever saying "Welcome to England", without being even a little bit sarcastic!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annbelcar65
Can you imagine a Londoner ever saying "Welcome to England", without being even a little bit sarcastic!
'Welcome to London' perhaps. I can't see assuming responsibility for the hinterland.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't particularly care if anyone thinks that we moved here for the wrong reasons or that we were "escaping". We did have our reasons for moving here, and they were good enough for us.

And seeing as we are all fairly happy here, have been here for over 6 years and have no intention of going back permanently I guess those reasons were good enough FOR US.

Incidentally, one or two of our reasons were in the OP's rant as being the "wrong reasons".

But if they were good enough for us who cares.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:06 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

This has been an entertaining thread, with some amusing, reflective and many downright irritating posts and one that could go and probably will go on and on....

If your reasons for moving to Canada, or anywhere else, are the right ones for you and your family then nothing else should matter.

What right does anyone else have to judge another's life decisions?

Just get on with enjoying your life and your appreciate who and what you have, wherever that may be

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
This has been an entertaining thread, with some amusing, reflective and many downright irritating posts and one that could go and probably will go on and on....

If your reasons for moving to Canada, or anywhere else, are the right ones for you and your family then nothing else should matter.

What right does anyone else have to judge another's life decisions?

Just get on with enjoying your life and your appreciate who and what you have, wherever that may be

Happy Holidays!
Love this post! couldn't agree more
Old Dec 14th 2011, 11:56 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
'Welcome to London' perhaps. I can't see assuming responsibility for the hinterland.
As a born and bred Londoner, I find it unlikely that anyone would be 'welcomed' to the city in this way.

Indifference or perhaps a snarl would be the usual MO. Followed by some evasive eye movements on the tube.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:54 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
I don't particularly care if anyone thinks that we moved here for the wrong reasons or that we were "escaping". We did have our reasons for moving here, and they were good enough for us.

And seeing as we are all fairly happy here, have been here for over 6 years and have no intention of going back permanently I guess those reasons were good enough FOR US.

Incidentally, one or two of our reasons were in the OP's rant as being the "wrong reasons".

But if they were good enough for us who cares.
Exactly what I said earlier.
Everyone has reasons and if you end up happy here they were obviously good enough!
However I do think that if disaffection with England is the most prominent reason for emigrating, then Canada might be just a bit too similar to satisfy the need for a change.

I think most immigrants form the UK do take care and research and try to find out as much as they can, but in the end the only way to know is to go!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:14 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
We're in Darnley, south side. Happy to meet up for an "AA" type therapy class any time you like lol.
Hey Dave, fellow Glaswegian, I used to live about 2 minutes from Darnley, my sister used to live there and my cousin lives there now.

I was going to buy a house there many many years ago when the new housing estate was being built, decided against it as it was to near Pollok and Nitshill, old stomping ground !!!!!!

Used to shop at the Sainburys there, its a small world

BTW We love Canada.

Eddie

Last edited by Voyager970; Dec 17th 2011 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Typical Scotsman, canny spell tae save himself
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Excellent reply Chris.

Just to add one more teeny weeny thing....

If this was a one-way ticket deal, ie; no returns allowed, do you think you would have the same amount of PR applications?

I include myself in that scenario obviously, as I can't tell the future.

I'm pretty sure folk would be doing a LOT more research before commiting
I did a massive amount of research before I moved...had 2 reccie trips before moving permanently and it still did not prepare me enough for the move and the differences......for me the real learning was actually living here, so I dont agree with your statement!

I'm pretty sure folk would be doing a LOT more research before commiting
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why? And that's almost an innocent question, Tim Hortons is ok but not much different to Starbucks. They probably have Starbucks in Scotland and you probably don't spend much time there. Canadian Tire, very much like Halfords, how much time do spend buying Chinese tat in Halfords?
Starbucks doesnt even come close to Timmies!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

FirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really niceFirstRatofftheShipUK is just really nice
Default Re: Are you Emigrating, or Escaping, or simply dreaming?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

Unlike many people who come here with fantastical aspirations, he's set the bar at a level that Canada can easily deliver. His dreams are going to come true.

Canada is a great place if you're easily pleased.
I do love this site, great insight into my own country.
I add my 2 pence worth below, trotting out what I hold to be Factoids:

1) Canadians are general a more 'innocent' bunch that your average Brit or Euro-type. I have never really know a true Candian cynic, as opposed to plently of German Nilhists, as a total generalisation, of course.

2) Canada is a physically predictable country - it has a defined Climate, and not just "weather"...it WILL snow in most of the country every year at Christmas, you WILL get a nice suntan every Summer....

3) You will make friends quickly, be invited to dinner parties by people you have just met, will be treated in conversation to the most intimate details of their lives, and will be asked by total strangers upon a first meeting, "So what do you do?" (which actually means, what do you earn $ ?")

4) Every Canadian does own at least 1 brightly coloured, scratchy wool 'touque'; those who deny this are simply lying.

5) Outside of perhaps old Quebec, parts of Victoria and Ottawa, and perhaps Halifax, Canada is, generally, pretty much devoid of Architectural history when compared to The UK/Europe; any offended parties please do correct me here.

6) If one doesn't work, one starves. It is economically not possible to live on Benefits and still Holiday in Spain, as can comfortably be done by many Brits. Full stop.

7) All Canadians will get a decent basic State Pension regardless of how long they live/work in Canada before Retirement.

8) It will never be possible to purchase a decent bottle of Oster Bay whilst food shopping at Safeways. Stalinist Licensing is oddly king, notwithstanding a culture of generally 'hands off' government, of the David Cameron ilk. However, the standarised Government Liquor Stores will always have a 'cozy feeling' and reassuringly particular smell.

9) Generally, if any mechanised vehicle has 4 turning wheels it will be allowed on the road - even those with rust holes on the floorboards where one can watch the Highway stripes go by - as long as it doesn't pollute too much.

10) That very same vehicle will be broken into at least 1 time if you live in Greater Vancouver for any length of time. A Junkie is a Junkie, and all that. The best Insurance Policy tip: Simply leave the Driver door unlocked with a Michael Buble CD on show...saves the smashed Window Excess. Respect.

11) However, you will not see litter on the streets, or feel 'intimidated' by Youths, even in areas of low socio-economic status.

12) Whenever in China Town in Vancouver you will feel like you have been there before. You have, in almost every Hollywood big action Blockbuster between 1980 and 2000, the stock car chase scene was filmed there.

13) In every University lecture - even at the 1st Year level - there will always be open debate, even if it is just started for its own sake. This stands in stark opposition to the average lonely UK Prof who relies on either Mature Students or American PHD students to break the silence.

14) Canada (especially in Rural areas) is still a Christian Country deep at its core; this is just not spoken about openly as it is in The USA.

15) Patriotism just does not exist - in The USA it does and is obvious, in The UK, it does, but its 'just not the done thing to fly one's own flag'. For the average Jo, Patriotism may go as far as a Molson Beer can but not much deeper. Internationally, everyone still loves Canadians despite CSIS have much deeper, darker tentacles than one would think.

16) No Utility Companies will ever be held in Foreign hands.

17) Like in most Developed countries, every Immigrant to Canada will at some point in their life at least once be told "If you don't like it, ***** off back to where you come from". In BC, it would likely emminate from a Trade Unionist.

18) People are generally much healthier, happier and more contended with a rosy (if even somewhat naive view) of the world that revolves around them.

19) Comfortingly, it is feasible to simply close one's eyes and point to any part of any Provincial map, and 9 times out of 10, one's children will receive a full, world-class, free State Education to 18. What they do from that point is solely on their own merits and innate abilities alone.

20) Even in large Urban area, at some point some species of furry Mammal will be seen from your Kitchen window.

By way of summary, there is a fantastic film from 1997 directed by Atom Egoyan- The Sweet Hereafter- that in my opinion should be required viewing as part of the Immigration process; a great, although upsetting at times, insight into the Psyche of the Canadian people.

Certainly would be far more useful than the 'Life in The UK' farce over here. Who really gives a toss what % of Luton originates from Bangladesh, when compared to Pakistani, or West Indian? I doubt even they do.

Well for what its worth, I commend that to The House.

FROTSUK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.